Willpower - Baumeister & Tierney

Happy966
on 11/13/11 1:13 am

Elina suggested this book to us and I have gotten it and read 4 chapters.  It is really fascinating.  Sometimes I downplay "willpower" because it has been ineffective for me in moderate eating of things I find addictive.  But they talk about willpower as a finite energy resource and I realized that avoiding addictive substances helps me conserve the energy I need to make good decisions about the rest of my food.

I can really relate to the finite amount of energy thing.  I have always felt like following a food plan took more energy than eating whatever the hell I wanted, even if it made me feel lousy in so many other ways.  For example, I found parenting teenagers sapped a lot of my psychic energy, as does a lot of work stress.  I had a much harder time with food when the kids were at home, as I do now (or did before surgery) when work explodes.

The main thing I seen different about surgery is that it is not nearly the energy drain it was before to eat on plan.  I really hope this is a long-term result.  I am looking forward to reading about how to increase this source of energy. 

Is anyone else reading this book??  What do you think?

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

tillmadd
on 11/13/11 1:24 am - WI
 this seems very interesting...i have many of the same struggles, for example my youngest daughter had a sleep over last night. Now I was on DAY 6 of my surgery and was struggling as I walked my the hot wings, pasta, and some of my old favorites. Luckily, all of mykids are excellent cooks and cook their own meals, which is a bit easier for me. Willpower is the key and wanting a healthier life is the key for me. I will have to read the book what is the titile/author?
HW 314    SW 297 Thanks for the season Packers! 15-2!!
**CW 234 month 1-23 month 2-14 month 3-13 month 4-11 

Happy966
on 11/13/11 1:28 am

Willpower - Roy Baumeister & John Tierney

MyOwnSunshine
on 11/13/11 1:31 am
I just added it to my Kindle wishlist.  You and I are definitely on the same page when it comes to the mental aspect of the eating and weight loss game, so I will read it when I'm done with this semester of school and my course load drops by half.
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
(deactivated member)
on 11/13/11 2:01 am
I agree, it just takes less energy to maintain the eating program after VSG than before surgery.  I think this has to do with the reduction of ghrelin in our bodies.  I am really encouraged that even at over two years out, I still find it quite easy to maintain.  This is so different from what it was like to maintain with any other program that I am still in awe that this really works.  I keep looking for helpful tips to keep the weight off partly because it is just really hard to believe that this problem is really solved for me for the rest of my life.  The reality for me, seems to be that it is indeed solved.  I am following some very easy and basic rules about maintaining with the sleeve and it seems to be enough.  Before VSG, maintaining was just as energy draining as having another full time job.  I could do it for some time, but eventually I would get tired or complacent, and the weight would come right back.  This feels totally different to me.  I am not using very much of my energy, just keeping an eye on things, and it is enough.  Keep reading the book, it just gets better and better.  I took copious notes because I could really see how this applies to many different aspects of my life.  I have already made changes to my daily schedule based on what I learned in this book.  I am glad you are enjoying it.
Happy966
on 11/13/11 2:19 am

As for daily schedule, yes!  I was really interested to read about how the number of prisoners who get parole if their hearing is in the morning, vs later in the day (decision fatigue).  I love this stuff!  I have a friend who says she starts every day with so many chips (this is an analogy, like poker chips), and everything she does costs her chips.  Some things give her chips, but most things cost chips.  Then, when she's out of chips, she has to quit for the day.  I want to learn how to have more chips!

(deactivated member)
on 11/13/11 2:38 am
I think your friend is exactly right.  I too want more chips.  When you are done reading the book, would you mind summarizing the points that were relevant to you for how to acquire more chips?  I would love to read your take on how we can do this.  I think that it would be really helpful to have all the ideas in one place.
percheron
on 11/13/11 2:33 am
Thank you for the suggestion and mini review.  Really helps to know what someone else thinks before getting it.  This will be on my list of reads. 

Most Active
Recent Topics