What are your expectations about life after surgery?

Happy966
on 11/9/11 9:34 am

What a great attitude!  Good luck on your journey, and keep us updated!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

happiegirl
on 11/9/11 4:16 am - Albuquerque, NM
VSG on 04/24/12
Hi,  I think from being on the board my expectations are very different.  I thought this was it that all I'd need is this surgery and bam!!! I'd be done with my weight problem forever.  As far as expectations yes they have changed...not only that but my choice of surgery.  I was going to go with a lapband...hahhaha.  Than bypass but I couldn't do it...it didn't seem right for me.  So now I'm waiting on my insurance to revise it's policy on VSG...which looks hopeful if Medicare will change it's policy.  I'm glad this board is here.  I now expect that I'll get fuller faster and have some control over my urge to eat.  For me that would work just great!!!
Happy966
on 11/9/11 9:36 am

I almost got a lap band, but pulled out midway through the process and decided I'd just wait until VSG was approved by our insurance carrier.  It took another year, but I'm *so glad* I waited.  I do appreciate being satisfied with less food.

happiegirl
on 11/10/11 12:20 am - Albuquerque, NM
VSG on 04/24/12
Thank you very much!  That's so encouraging to hear someone's been where I am now!  I've lost 58 pounds on my own but I just think VSG will help me get more control.  Sometimes I just can't control it...I know that's a horrible thing to say!
Happy966
on 11/10/11 1:09 am

No, no, no!!  It's not a horrible thing to say, it's the ONLY thing to say.  I have a seriously messed up relationship with food and accepting that I *couldn't* control it has been the only way I have gotten better!  VSG is a great tool to reduce hunger and limit overeating.  Many folks are fat because of metabolic or medical issues, but I know I am fat because I have a hard time eating a normal amount of appropriate food.  Even when I am *on plan*, I got so hungry before I would eventually snap.  I wouldn't eat recreational sugar, but I could really put away the food at the Chinese buffet.  Then spiral into the old familiar feelings of despair and failure, and then listen to all the lies that my disease tells me, like "food will make it better." 

newmommolly
on 11/9/11 5:50 am - Cincinnati, OH

This has been a very interesting post to me.  I am still completely undecided about whether or not to go through with weightloss surgery.  However, VSG surgery is currently at the top of my list for bariatric surgery options so far.  I've thought a great deal about why surgery, why this surgery and not another, and what is my motivation for having the surgery.

The things that I've learned about myself, in the countless attempts at weight loss over the years, is that I am absolutely incapable of living a life of moderation when it comes to food.  I have no idea what "portion control" means.  I do know extremes...in either direction...I'm really good at starving myself and I'm equally good at eating until sick....these extremes are comfortable and something I can live with long term.  So this leads to my expectations of weight loss surgery...I would expect that I will have a built-in, constant reminder of what portion control is.  I would expect that it would take a lot of getting used to not being able to eat large quantities of any food, whether my mind wants it or not.  I would expect that the happiness and pride I feel about losing (and sustaining) weight would greatly overshadow the difficulties and trials of adjusting to a new lifestyle....yes it might be hard, but to be so happy would be worth it.  Finally, my expectation, and greatest motivation, is that I would be capable of setting a good example for my son who is now only 3 months old.  My expectation is that  I would be able to break the cycle of passing on the compulsive eating habits that we all have learned and possess in my family...and I'm not blaming anyone for that...just simply wish to break the cycle.  I want to be a good mom, a healthy mom with healthy habits more than anything. 

Happy966
on 11/9/11 9:44 am

Oh, you sound so much like me 9 months ago!!  I am a compulsive overeater and food addict and felt like a failure because I could keep the weight off by a 12-step program alone.  I am so glad I made this decision! 

Most Active
Recent Topics