What are your expectations about life after surgery?

Happy966
on 11/9/11 9:21 am

Makes perfect sense!  I'm sick of going up and down.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

(deactivated member)
on 11/9/11 1:48 am - WV
I am scheduled for surgery on Dec 5th and I am so excited that I can hardly stand myself!  I have lots of high hopes and expectations that I hope God will bring me through and I will succeed at this final change in my life towards weight control.  I am expecting that my diabetes and Byetta dependancy will go away forever.  I want more energy and I hope that with the weight-loss will increase the WANT to exercise, I have the want to now but the energy is not there to do it.  With weightloss I expect that the aches and pains of daily life will decrease.  I want to enjoy living and not exist.  I expect to be able to walk through fairs and festivals without being a soaking wet mess from sweat.  And finally I hope to get a full-time dental hygiene job instead of overlooked to the little skinny young blondes that have no idea what to do or how to do it.
Happy966
on 11/9/11 9:26 am

Those sound really reasonable!  I forget how much fat-prejudice there is sometimes.  I enjoy my exercise a lot more since I've lost the weight I have so far.

Mom4Jazz
on 11/9/11 2:20 am
Better health was my primary expectation and I'm already there. I will admit that looking better and being able to find clothes were secondary consideration. I'm there on both when I'm in said clothes, though the unclothed me will always show the impact of the loose skin.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Happy966
on 11/9/11 9:29 am

I hear you on all counts!!  Clothes are kind!  Health was a big priority for me, wanting to live longer than my mom.  You are looking fantastic!!

Memak
on 11/9/11 2:20 am
VSG on 06/18/12
I don't even have a surgery date yet, but I'm expecting to lose and maintain a weight that I'm comfortable with (158#), but not necessarily my "ideal body weight" of about 135#.  I'm expecting to gain confidence in my appearance, and take more pride in the way I look and dress.  I'm expecting to get a little more attention from men, but know I'll be uncomfortable with the attention.  I expect to have a LOT more energy to play with my grandchildren and to care for them.  I expect to have a cleaner and more organized home...just because of the increase in energy and NOT having to take my afternoon nap every day.  I'm expecting to have a better attitude in general, because I'll be a happier person.  Oh, and I am also expecting to be able to where a shorter hair style and a hat without look silly. 
Happy966
on 11/9/11 9:31 am

I don't have any expectations of 135 pounds, either!  I already have a lot more energy.  And maybe when I'm thinner I can find a hair style I actually like!  I doubt I will ever have the self confidence to pull off hats!

Debra P.
on 11/9/11 2:57 am - CA
VSG on 03/15/12
 My expectation is to relieve my osteoarthritis in my knees and hips.  I will admit that being thinner will be nice, but ultimately I just want to give my poor joints some relief from the burden of carrying all this weight.  

Happy966
on 11/9/11 9:33 am

I was very afraid of doing even more damage to my knees.  Thanks for reminding me!

slimpickins5280
on 11/9/11 3:56 am - CO

Honestly, I don't have a lot of expectations.

I haven't always been fat, so I kind of remember that life wasn't that much different, just easier physically.

I have a fantastic life. I'm blessed in every possible way.

My only expectation is that I want do something for others - pay it forward. I've been thinking about ways to do that and as I go along I'm just going to let God lead the way. I still have a lot to learn for me to get to a good place. But, I hope to be able to help others somehow - down the road.

I'm just going to let it unfold.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Most Active
Recent Topics