BMI Adjustments for large frames

Mom4Jazz
on 10/24/11 11:20 am, edited 10/24/11 11:30 am
There's an interesting article on Live Strong about adjusting the BMI ranges for those of us *****ally are "big-boned" (have large frames): http://www.livestrong.com/article/36520-calculate-accurate-bmi-large-frame/

The first part of the article is all about how to calculate your BMI. Ignore that - calculate your BMI by using the Tools menu in the blue bar up there /\ and choose BMI calculator. So scroll down in the article where they talk about frame size.

They use wrist size as a surrogate for frame size:

WOMEN
Under 62 inches -- If you have a large frame your wrist size is over 5.75"
62 - 65 inches -- If you have a large frame your wrist size is over 6.25"
over 65 inches -- If you have a large frame your wrist size is over 6.5"

So my height is 68 inches and my wrist is almost 7". Large framed? Check. Actually I have other indicators: a size 12 wide shoe. My head is too big for women's hats. Stuff like that. I'm just a solidly built chick.

Edit to add: here's another site for calculating your frame size: http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/bodyFrame.php

In summary, what both sites suggest is that if you have a large frame you should increase the BMI ranges for your height by 10%. So for a large-framed person:

Below 20.35 BMI is underweight
BMI 20.35 to 27.39 is normal
BMI 27.4 to 32.89 is overweight
BMI 32.9 to 43.89 is obese
BMI 43.9 and over is morbidly obese

I've always been torn about my goal weight of 175. It's a BMI of 26.6. But after reading this article, and knowing my body type, it seems just right.

For what it's worth. Do work towards a thinner, healthier you. But if you're large framed like me, don't torture yourself to get down to 24.9 BMI or lower. You may not need to!

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

USAF Wife
on 10/24/11 11:37 am
My surgeon follows this rule, and that is why my goal weight even at 5'2" was set at 150lbs.

He measured my knee, and elbow joints, plus I had bone scans for his review.

Ultimately, my body got down to 125-130lbs, but he still holds strong that I am underweight at 125lbs, and need to maintain at no lower than 140lbs.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Mom4Jazz
on 10/24/11 11:41 am
I think every body is different, and your body seems happy at the weight you're at!

There are actually some light framed folks who might theoretically shoot for 10% BELOW the BMI chart. I guess my main concern is that I see some folks battling to convince people a lighter weight is OK for them, others who feel guilty they never quite got to a "normal" BMI. One size simply does not fit all.

You're soooooo close. How are you feeling?

USAF Wife
on 10/24/11 11:51 am
I'm okay, super uncomfortable and HUGE. She's dropped significantly, and honestly, I don't know if I'll make it to the 1st. I have this gut feeling, I'm going to go into labor any day now.

Her movements have slowed tremendously, her hed is practically on my cervix (even though it's closed up), she super squished in there. Due to the prednisone therapy, the amniotic fluid is at a higher level with my increased water weight, and fluid retention is just getting bad. There really is not any room in there for her anymore. I'm super short waisted, and my fundus is stretched all the way up to my sternum.

I know that sounds whiney, but it's the God's to honest truth. I'm so irritable and downright b*tchy that my husband is at his wit's end. He's being a trooper, but it's killing us. I'm just done, and I'm tired of being hungry, thirsty and speed freak feeling on this stupid steroid.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Mom4Jazz
on 10/24/11 11:59 am
{{Hugs}} for what it's worth.

Only another week. Less maybe if you fool them by going into labor.

Sympathies to hubby, but he's not the one having to carry her. If you can tough it out, he can!

bigmama3
on 10/24/11 10:28 pm

THIS is absolutely incredible!  I am 65.5 inches and my wrist is 7.25 inches.  I always knew that it would be unrealistic for me to get to a "normal" BMI (the high range of "normal" is a little low for me).

thanks for this information.

CW - 125 (20 lbs. below goal)

a_new_me10
on 10/25/11 3:55 pm - CA
I LOVE this article thank you for sharing i am also a big boned person and i have had lots of people say do not lose more weight you will be skin and bones but according the the bmi i still have between 25 to 30lbs to go to be in my normal range and i am strugling with that back and forth so thank you so much for this inforation it makes me feel alot more better :)
brensec
on 1/7/16 4:18 pm
On October 24, 2011 at 6:20 PM Pacific Time, Mom4Jazz wrote:
There's an interesting article on Live Strong about adjusting the BMI ranges for those of us *****ally are "big-boned" (have large frames): http://www.livestrong.com/article/36520-calculate-accurate-bmi-large-frame/

The first part of the article is all about how to calculate your BMI. Ignore that - calculate your BMI by using the Tools menu in the blue bar up there /\ and choose BMI calculator. So scroll down in the article where they talk about frame size.

They use wrist size as a surrogate for frame size:

WOMEN
Under 62 inches -- If you have a large frame your wrist size is over 5.75"
62 - 65 inches -- If you have a large frame your wrist size is over 6.25"
over 65 inches -- If you have a large frame your wrist size is over 6.5"

So my height is 68 inches and my wrist is almost 7". Large framed? Check. Actually I have other indicators: a size 12 wide shoe. My head is too big for women's hats. Stuff like that. I'm just a solidly built chick.

Edit to add: here's another site for calculating your frame size: http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/bodyFrame.php

In summary, what both sites suggest is that if you have a large frame you should increase the BMI ranges for your height by 10%. So for a large-framed person:

Below 20.35 BMI is underweight
BMI 20.35 to 27.39 is normal
BMI 27.4 to 32.89 is overweight
BMI 32.9 to 43.89 is obese
BMI 43.9 and over is morbidly obese

I've always been torn about my goal weight of 175. It's a BMI of 26.6. But after reading this article, and knowing my body type, it seems just right.

For what it's worth. Do work towards a thinner, healthier you. But if you're large framed like me, don't torture yourself to get down to 24.9 BMI or lower. You may not need to!

Regarding the 10% addition to the BMI for those of us who are 'large framed'. In addition, I feel there should be some kind of scale to adjust for those 'large framed' people who are 'bigger' than just 'large framed'...

Having lost 20 Kgs (about 3.5 stone) in 3 months, I've done very well through diet and exercise to reduce my BMI (and also to fit into jeans and trousers I haven't been able to wear for many years). Very happy and I KNOW that my ideal weight is in the early 90 kgs (around 14.5 stone). I was this weight at 25 when playing football and working as a Scaffolder. I was 'totally fit' and felt it. Now at 57, I feel I've done well to get down to 103 Kgs (just over 16 stone).

Yet the Doc tells me (as well as the BMI index calculators etc) that I should be 83 kgs (183 lbs, including the 10% extra for having a large frame). I am 5'10" (177cm) and have quite a large frame (50" chest etc) and am quite muscular. I'm told muscle weighs more than fat, which I now have little of. In fact, I am sure that there is no way I could ever get lower than 14.5 stone (about 93 kgs). I'm going to lose the remaining 10 kgs over the next 4 -6 weeks and I KNOW I will be at my perfect, healthy and fit weight (FOR ME!).

Why don't doctors and 'medicos' of any description, make allowances for the many men (and women) who have large frames (and as has been proven by many X-rays I had over the years) very thick, large bones... And also have a good degree of muscle (which, as I said, weighs more than fat) even at 57 years of age? I shouldn't have to explain this to any so called 'doctor' who sees so many differently shaped and built people every day?

Even when I reach my 'perfect weight' of 93 kgs I will have a BMI of 31.9 (actually 29 plus the 10% allowance for being 'large framed'). This puts me at the very top end of 'Overweight'??? I'm sorry but I am not and will never be overweight at 93 kgs (14.5 stone). I be as fit as a bull).

Any comments or people who are in the same situation of being a little more than just 'large framed'... Maybe 'very large framed' or whatever label you may may want to put on it. Or anyone having to convince a doctor or dietician etc, that you cannot lose any more weight just because a 'standardised' calculation says so...?

Most Active
Recent Topics