soft foods and weight gain!! Help

greatmomof2
on 8/24/11 3:47 am - CA
Im five weeks post op and my doctor finally let me advance to the soft & pureed foods phase. Since Sunday I gained 2lbs, i feel like I'm constantly eating just to reach my protein goal for the day. Am i doing something wrong? I am so bummed..i want to lose not gainHelp me!! Anyone having the same issues?
gsgeorge0310
on 8/24/11 3:55 am
 Are you using protein powder? I scoop of protein with skim milk gives you over 30 gms of protein which makes it easier to get in all the protein. Also greek yogurt is higher in protein than regular. Hope that helps, I am post-op day 44 and doing well witht he above strategy. It may also be fluid if you are consuming lots of salt.
George B.
on 8/24/11 4:04 am - Miami, FL
How many carbs and calories are you getting daily?

Here is the program my doctor gave me to follow post-op.

1. Eat 600-800 calories per day when losing weight  and 1,200 calories to maintain
2. Limit carbs to less than 40 grams per day
3. Eat 70-100 gram of protein daily
4. Minimum 64 oz. liquids daily
5. Regular exercise/physical activity
6. Track what you eat ( I use myfitnesspal.com to track calories, carbs, protein, etc.)

I stuck to this plan and lost 100% of my excess weight. I'm 2 years post op and have kept the weight off without a lot of effort.

Good luck,
George

greatmomof2
on 8/24/11 4:15 am - CA
Thanks George,
I will definitely follow this program.Congratulations on reaching your goal weight.
greatmomof2
on 8/24/11 4:10 am - CA
i'm using the protein shakes that range from 25-35 grams of protein,i'm eating like an 1.5 oz of tuna, egg, greek yogurts, and cottage cheese throughout the day.Going from 3 protein shakes a day to reach my goal to all this food seems like alot..i don't think any of this has that much salt. I really try to drink my water but it is so hard when i feel like i'm eating all day and than i get so FULL!!
Thank you for your suggestions
Lisa J.
on 8/24/11 5:20 am - OK
You probably are eating too much--you've GOT to get your water in no matter what, and usually we choose to eat instead of drink water, which is a pain in the ass. BUT THE TRUTH is the more water you drink the LESS hungry you will be. And the need for snacking is gone. Depending on what you're pureeing and eating soft, might have something to do with a slight gain, but truly, we do fluctuate a couple lbs every day so I wouldn't worry too much about it. At five weeks I can honestly say I was no where NEAR getting both protein and water in. I chose water.  Eventually you'll get more evened out.
Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
greatmomof2
on 8/29/11 4:09 am - CA
Thank you everybody for the post. I'm kinda embarrassed but the monthly came later on that daybut this past week i am back on track. Since gaining the 2lbs i have lost 3.5 lbs.. whoo hoo!!
Most Active
Recent Topics