When's it time for an IV?

Could_It_Be
on 8/4/11 10:03 am
I think I'm dehydrated and wondering at what point oral hydration isn't going to cut it?

VSG on 6/22/11
Ms. Poker Face
on 8/4/11 10:22 am
Oh, girlfriend, so sorry you're in this spot.  Early out I ended up in the ER for fluids.  I think it was about 7 or 8 days later.  I was disappointed in myself for not staying hydrated, but between the swollen tummy and my diarrhea, there wasn't much more I could do.  So if you need 'em, go get 'em!

I felt dizzy, nauseaus, pee got darker.  Also if you pinch the skin on the back of your hand and it doesn't immediately rebound, then that's a sign.  Dry skin, dry lips, dry mouth.  And generally feeling like poo.  Those can all be symptoms.  If you start to get delirious, rush to the ER (don't wait that long).

*hugs* Hope you are ok.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

mysticblue
on 8/4/11 10:45 am
As long as you are keeping fluids in (not vomiting and no diarrhea), you should be able to stay home and continue getting in fluids. If you are vomiting or have diarrhea, however, you may not be able to hydrate by mouth and may require an IV. Keep sipping all day long. Your pee should be very light to clear if you are well hydrated. It is a good indicator for you to watch.

wade7919
on 8/4/11 12:25 pm - LA
Get 3 Bottles of Gatoraide or Poweraide and drink it slowly throughout the day and night. Its high in carbs but you can get the Gatoraide 0 but its kinda got a sour taste to it. But the electrolytes will keep you from getting dehydrated. Or you can get afew bottles of Pedialyte. I drank 1 24 ounce bottle of Gatoraide from 7 days out till just 4 days ago. almost amonth till i felt good enough to drink jus****er alone. But make sure you are getting in all of your fluids. I'm getting in well over 120oz of fluids a day.
HW - 365  :   SW - 345  :  CW - 309  :  GW - 180

kimbethin
on 8/4/11 2:06 pm - CA
Do you feel dizzy when you stand up quickly?  That and all of the other signs listed ablove.   Give your doc a call-but in the meantime try a keep sipping, popsicles jello soup- any liquid will help.  Feel better soon.
putting one foot in front of the other...        
Could_It_Be
on 8/5/11 1:56 am
I'm only dizzy on occasion but have been drinking drinking drinking so hopefuly I can get caught up!

I appreciate the advice!

VSG on 6/22/11
Most Active