Informing younger child of your WLS

Nancy B.
on 7/31/11 12:34 pm - Bridge City, TX
VSG on 08/27/11 with
My hubby and I will be heading to Mexico in about 4 weeks to be sleeved.  Our older kids know what's going on, but our 6 year old does not.  She knows we've talked about eating healthier but that's about it.  Since we're both having the procedure, she's going to have to have some sort of explanation.

I guess I'm wanting to find out your experiences and suggestions about how much to share with a younger child.  I feel like she is capable of understanding, to a point, but at the moment I am putting off telling her because then I'll have to deal with questions for the next 4 weeks!  She will also be in school by the time we go, and I guess I'm imagining how much info she'll be sharing with her class and teacher...lol

So how did you explain to your younger child?

-Nancy 

HW 238    Starting Weight 227   Surgery Weight 212   CW 155
Height 5'5"            Lost 9 lbs. pre-op, and another 6 lbs. on the liquid diet.
njmom5870
on 7/31/11 12:39 pm
I had surgery when my kids were 5 and 8.  I just told them that mommy was getting surgery on her tummy to be healthy.  All they really want to know is that you are okay.  They were a little scared when I wasn't feeling well but after a week or so, I was much better and so were they.

Good Luck
    Lap Band Surgery 7/29/09......Removal after full slip 10/29/09
    Sleeve surgery...life really began....1/3/11

Nancy B.
on 7/31/11 12:53 pm - Bridge City, TX
VSG on 08/27/11 with
I was thinking something along those lines, about tummy surgery to be healthy.  Thanks!
-Nancy 

Height 5'5"            Lost 9 lbs. pre-op, and another 6 lbs. on the liquid diet.
colelea613
on 7/31/11 12:42 pm - LA
I have a 4 year old.  I have told her that I was going to having surgery on my tummy. I have a very rough and rowdy girl who likes to jump on me.  I explained that the surgery was going to make Mommy "not be fat".  I told her next spring I will be able to play outside with her and that we will go bike riding together.  I played up all the "good" things in her mind like going to the beach or pool to swim.  That I will be able to play tag and roller skate. 

I explained that my tummy would have "boo-boos" and her won't be able to sit on my lap for a while.  She is more upset that I won't be home for the next 4 days than anything else. 

I would tell your 6 year old as much information as they want...no gross details about the surgery.  But I think if they can see how it will be better for them the kids understand....playing, activities, and no more tired Mommy and Daddy. 

Hope this helped?

Cole

Nancy B.
on 7/31/11 12:52 pm - Bridge City, TX
VSG on 08/27/11 with
It did!  Thanks!
-Nancy 

nutbar21
on 7/31/11 12:43 pm - CA
My kids are 6 and 7.  I am divorced and wanted my ex to know as little as possible (nothing really).  I told my kids that I was going to the doctor tho have something in my tummy fixed. My sister stayed home with them, so there was little disruption.  When I came home they new that I was sore, and they could not crawl all over me.  I asked them if they had questions, and limited the information I gave to the questions they had (virtually none).  They have adjusted really well to THEIR new diet.  It has been gradual for them, incorporating more protein and veggies and less carbs.  The best thing I have done for myself and my family!!!!

Nancy B.
on 7/31/11 12:55 pm - Bridge City, TX
VSG on 08/27/11 with
I hope I can say that, soon, too, that it's the best thing I've done for myself and my family.  Thanks for your input!
-Nancy 

USAF Wife
on 7/31/11 12:51 pm
Great advice from the other posters.

For me, my son was raised that there are 2 things that are NOT discussed with anyone.

1) Mommy's Money
2) Mommy's Medical stuff

There are boundaries that I think need to be established with children. I was a single mom until he was 9yrs old so it was just me and him. I had friends who had children that just blab all of their parent's business and I found it so alarming that I pretty much trained my kiddo to keep certain things private.

He's had surgery himself, and he had inguinal hernia surgery. Least to say, I told him "how would like me to tell everyone they had to operate on your private parts?" He got it, he figured it out, and he has NOT once told anyone about my surgery. He knows better.

I realize that children talk, I realize that it's usually innocent, but I do think parents can be proactive instead of reactive and prevent these conversations from transpiring, and being caught off guard by their "out of the mouth of babes" moments.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Nancy B.
on 7/31/11 12:58 pm - Bridge City, TX
VSG on 08/27/11 with

VERY good advice!  I had to chuckle about "Mommy's Money" and "Mommy's Medical stuff".  I think that's a very good way, though, to explain it to kids.  Simple for them to understand.  Thanks! :)

-Nancy 

HockeyChuck28
on 7/31/11 3:33 pm - Vancouver, WA

Hi
I have a 12 and 8 year old. I discussed what I wanted to do and why. They are really amazing, they remind me to drink, They read the lables for the amount of protien in foods. I have them taste all my purreed foods, (That's the the stage I am on). The best advice I could give is... you know your kids, what you can and cannot discuss, for a younger child keep it simple. I have a friend who had gastirc bypass 8 years ago and her kids still don't know which I beleive is enabling bad eating habits and weight gain. Prayers abd best wishes being sent your way.

Chuck

Most Active
Recent Topics