Violent gut cramping, bloating, diarrhea after everything I eat

Could_It_Be
on 7/9/11 10:30 am
I'm a litle over 2 weeks out. Started pureeds on Tuesday and I'm not being very successful.

I've had a couple teaspoons of various things:
- tomato soup-- no go
- mashed cauliflower- ok
- mashed potatoes- no go
- 1 t of peanut butter- very very bad
- yogurt- ok
- pudding- meh, I'm tired of sweet stuff

The thing is, I get crazy full and feel BAD for abut 4-5 hours after- stomach-wise... am thinking this part may be normal BUT then after about 20 minutes I get a violent lower GI reaction. Diarrhea, pain, gas, cramping, etc. Which totally puts me out of commission for hours.

I'm going back to work on Monday, I can't be in the fetal position at work. Do I just not eat at work?

I know I need to get in some food and protein but I just feel BAD.

I called the Doc Friday and they said "your new stomach has to get used to food" which I get but are all the LOWER GI issues normal?

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, I just feel so bad :(

Any ideas?

VSG on 6/22/11
Jenijeni
on 7/9/11 10:36 am
Yep, some people have pretty bad reactions to some foods in the beginning. Take things back to full liquids if you need to. Take mushies very slowly. If you're having a bad reaction, you need to go more slowly.

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

Could_It_Be
on 7/9/11 10:40 am
Thanks, this makes me feel a little less crazy. Hey I like the new pic!

VSG on 6/22/11
Ms. Poker Face
on 7/9/11 10:42 am
So frustrating!!  Ugh.  I thinned some cream of cheese soup with milk and added some protein powder.  That really helped me.  Not sure if it will work for you, but that really soothed my tummy.  

I'm with you on the sweet stuff.  Bleh.

Maybe ask the doc if you can take something for the diarrhea?  Liquid pepto or something?  Mine wouldn't let me until I got tested for an infection... good thing because it confirmed an intestinal infection for me.  I had to keep pushing him though b/c his initial reaction was liquids-in-liquids-out to be expected.  When it continued (with cramping and going OFTEN) I called him again and really pushed him.  Good thing!

Hope it improves soon.  That stuff is no fun.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

infodiva808
on 7/9/11 11:37 am
 Gosh, my protocol called for full liquids for nearly a month. I would go back to that because obviously your tummy isn't ready. Everyone heals at a different rate. But please bring it up to your nut and doctor and ask for help as you need it.

cdepietro
on 7/9/11 11:46 am
 I am still pre op with the sleeve. But I had the band for 8 yrs. And anytime the band was giving me a hard time and I couldnt keep food in for a couple of days then when I would eat I would get the same stomach pains and diarhea you are having. I think it is the body tyring to readjust to food so take it slow...

Could_It_Be
on 7/9/11 12:08 pm
Thanks ladies, guess I need to just slow it down a bit. SS...I was a little worried that I have an infection. Guess I am just pushing it a bit too much.

VSG on 6/22/11
roundater
on 7/9/11 12:31 pm - Lincoln, NE
Do go slowly and don't be afraid to go back to liquids if need be. Keep your doc and NUT advised of your situation. I get in 56 g of protein in my protein shake before work and that tides me over till dinner. Hope this helps.
Rich Sonderegger

redsnapper1975
on 7/9/11 2:02 pm
I wasn't allowed purees until week 4 and I was told they should slide off a spoon like applesauce would.  I know itsounds gross, but have you pureed meat yet?  My fave puree was lean ground turkey pureed with broth and taco seasoning and a dab of ff sour cream and drizzle of taco sauce.  I also liked tuna pureed with ff mayo and pickle juice.  Good luck finding something that will go down better- try upping the moisture content.
~ Kim

Most Active