No chicken or eggs

evilelf
on 6/14/11 11:21 am
I have fallen deeply out of love with chicken and eggs, or shall I say my new stomach has fallen out of love.I have been eating pretty much just fish and I am really tried of it. I need some new ideas for protein. The shakes make me gag and I know that I am no where near what I am supposed to have daily. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Rose

H.W 270 S.W 252 C.W 195 G.W 170

sleeve genie
on 6/14/11 11:30 am - Alhambra, CA
In the early days i ate a lot of turkey,   meatballs with marinara , and i made a lot of turkey chili,  really easy and good,  ground turkey breast,  canned tomatoes, can of black beans and chili powder, red pepper.   also ate a lot of tuna/chicken/egg/salmon salad made with mayo.  cottage cheese or greek yogurt is really good too,  the non fat greek tastes awful to me but i put a little s/f jello in it and its pretty good.  protein is very important so you need to work really hard at getting enough   good luck ;o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Elaine2
on 6/14/11 11:41 am, edited 6/14/11 11:41 am - Atlanta, GA

I'm a seafood person, too. Love it but sometimes get tired of it. Chicken is generally out...just too dry. So I've tried beef again. This time I got the pre cut fajita strips and I do a stir fry type dish with a little salsa to keep things moist. Really good and it's a change.

Here's a low carb website with lots of choices. Plus I would look on the eggface website for some ideas.
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

PS----Protein is so important. What about some cheeses, greek yogurt?

Shari H.
on 6/14/11 11:43 am - MI
 Have you tried a lot of different kinds and flavors of the shakes?  There are so many out there - maybe there are some that won't make you gag.

I am still on the full liquids, but ... I'm using ON (Optimum Nutrition) Gold Standard 100% Whey in the chocolate flavor.  Mixed with water, it was pretty good, and mixed with skim milk, it is WONDERFUL (in my opinion). 

I'm also getting some protein in via 1% low fat cottage cheese, as well as yogurt.

I've known people who have snuck in protein by adding unflavored protein powder to whatever they can sneak it into - soup, mashed taters - anything.

How about ground turkey burger?  Nuts?  Veggie burgers have a good amount of protein in them, too (For example, a 10 oz Boca Veggie Burger has 13 g protein - and they are good!).

Best of luck in finding something you like!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
FULL DISCLOSURE:  includes 31 lbs lost pre-op 
Shana16
on 6/14/11 1:23 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Beef, pork, tofu, oh yeah portein bars (there are to die for,so yummy!!), turkey, morning star stuff is also good.  Yogert and chesse.  Have you been to www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com verygood ideas.
 LIVE HOPE DREAM

Shana

USAF Wife
on 6/14/11 1:33 pm
Shrimp/scallops? ? ? Still seafood, but different textures so maybe that would help.

Greek yogurt, cheese, refried beans.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

ms_dar
on 6/14/11 9:23 pm, edited 6/14/11 9:24 pm - Canada
Think chili and cheese. It became my favorite food a few months post op..a couple of ounces and I was good to go for hours. I even cheated and used ground beef in my chili with no problems.  I also enjoyed sugar free puding with protein powder mixed in.  You can increase the protein of almost anything by adding in powdered milk if you prefer to have more natural tasting food.  Give it some time and try both chicken and eggs again, your sleeve tolerances are likely to change in time...early out I couldn't manage eggs and now I LOVE eggbites, little mini quiches.

George B.
on 6/15/11 2:05 am - Miami, FL
Chicken does not agree with my new stomach.

Tender beef, shrimp, flounder, lobster, clams, squid, crab and pork are my dense protein staples.

Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, pumpkin seeds and jerky are all good sources of protein you might try.

I also get creative with omelets by adding cream cheese, vegetables or steak. Do you have a problem with eggs in all its forms?

theshrinkingmimi
on 6/15/11 7:54 am
I will be devastated if I can't eat eggs. I love a good quiche, omlet, or egg scramble.

Don't forget to try them again a few weeks from now. A lot of people find they can tolerate things later.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Momager
on 6/15/11 12:03 pm
Be patient. You have to try things gradually. If you can't tolerate something now, leave it alone, then try it again a few weeks later. You are still very early out and your new tummy is still swollen. You'll be able to enjoy more foods in the months to come. Consider this a good thing, because weight loss really slows down after the 6-month honeymoon period. I still have trouble eating very much chicken. Walden Farms makes a sugar-free, calorie-free, no-carb spicy BBQ sauce that helps moisten rotisserie chicken and makes it easier to handle. Also, try the Muscle Milk Lite ready-to-drink protein shakes - the cafe latte is great! I really love Wendy's chili. Good luck! (Ticker reflects 10-month weight loss.)

Most Active
Recent Topics