Upper GI

evilelf
on 5/13/11 11:32 am
Ok having food trouble (story of my life), I have been back and froth to the dr. Know they want to do a upper gi to check why I am having a hard time getting and keeping my food down. Has anyone else had one? I now that I have chosen to do this (get sleeved), I am trying hard to keep my eyes at the end goal but this is getting hard. Thanks

H.W 270 S.W 252 C.W 195 G.W 170

pinkypromise93
on 5/13/11 11:38 am
I had one pre-op. First one I had ever experienced and it was a very simple procedure. They started an IV and gave me a med that put me to sleep. I didn't even know I had the procedure. Throat was a little sore for about a day or 2. But I did eat right afterward.  Good luck! I hope they figure it out and get you back straight. Will keep you in special thought

evilelf
on 5/13/11 11:44 am
Thanks Pinky,

pinkypromise93
on 5/13/11 9:38 pm
oopsers....maybe I made a mistake between the two...sorry friend  but either way, you are strong, you will do fine.........keep us updated on what they say...hopefully its just a minor thing and they get ya back straight....love and huggzz!!

InnerMe
on 5/13/11 12:10 pm
I'm an x-ray tech, I help people through this exam every day. An upper GI is an exam that is done with motion picture X-rays. You'll drink either barium or a water soluble contrast and a radiologist will watch your esophagus and stomach to see how they function. You'll have to be awake to be able to swallow, but it isn't that bad. The exam they put you to sleep for is an endoscopy, that's one where they put a camera down your throat.

You can do this, it's really quick and easy.

Heather

heathermc44
on 5/13/11 12:39 pm - Bremerton, WA
 I had an upper GI with a small bowel follow through.  It was not an easy procedure in the sense that I had to drink so much of the barium solution.  The first part was easy.  Drank a couple sips, radiologis****ched it go down.  I could see the pictures as well, which ws really cool.  I got to see my tiny little stomach and it was really cool.  The hardest part was the small bowel follow through, which you might not have to do.  This required drinking more of the barium solution - at least 12 ounces of it.  This took about 45 minutes.  Right before they did the last part of the procedure I had to drink some really nasty stuff.  They then looked to see if things were moving through my system like it's supposed to.  

haleyh92
on 5/13/11 12:53 pm
VSG on 05/18/11 with
I just had one done today! It is a very simple procedure! Took about 15 minutes at most. The liquids they make you drink are a little difficult to swallow due to the consistency, but it is manageable!

Good Luck!!

OldMedic
on 5/14/11 1:01 am - Alvaton, KY
I have them done every 6 months, to keep an eye on my Barrett's Esophagus.  It's no big deal. 

If you sing, it WILL affect your singing voice for a couple of weeks. 

Other than that, it is nothing to be afraid of.  They do it with you alseep, so you don't know it has happened till you wake up.

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

evilelf
on 5/14/11 3:09 am
Thanks everyone.

Most Active
Recent Topics