Day 2 Post-Op Misery: HELP

godsgrace4me
on 5/3/11 8:47 am
 I haven't been able to keep ice chips down and I'm so stinking thirsty! My leak test was fine. Everyone says just keep taking it slow... I'm now trying room temp, which seems a little more tolerable. But after one itty bitty sip, I get gas-like acid indigestion. I've been walking.  Help! I don't want to get dehydrated. Surgeon and others say this is normal -- stomach is swollen. 

Any advice greatly appreciated. 

I keep hearing your voices, by the way -- sip/walk, sip/walk, sip/walk. 
tanieanie
on 5/3/11 8:51 am - WI
For me,  room temp in small amounts was best after surgery.  I also tolerated broth well while still in the hospital.   It really does get easier after a few days.

MediumSoon
on 5/3/11 8:53 am - TX
Tea was better for me for a LONG time. Couldn't do plain water for a few months.

SpiceyMom
on 5/3/11 9:08 am
VSG on 04/28/11 with
Oh, I'm so sorry! I wish I had a great answer. I do best now with flavored water, like vitamin water zero. Water still often makes me hiccup.

Hugs!!
Mom to 8, looking forward to a healthy future!         
Nicki88
on 5/3/11 9:18 am
It is a science to figure out what works for each person.  I need COLD.  Cold works the best for me.  Room temp not so much.  Also, I put crystal lights packs in my water but I cant do the same flavor 2 bottles in a row so I alternate.  Plain water doesn't seem to work yet.  I dont drnk tea but I have heard warm things may be easier to get down.

Try popsicles too.  Sometimes once I do a popsicle I can get down a bunch of water right after.

Those are my tricks.  Im only 6 days out but today is the 1st day I got in all my water PLUS SOME!!!  Yay!  And by 8 pm I will have 60 grams of protein on top of the water. 

Also, the 1st couple of days gatorade went down easier than water.
Surgery Date: 4/27/11 Dr. Aceves
Mammamia1290
on 5/3/11 9:22 am
Hi I'm currently 2wks out from my sleeve. And I had the same problem. I would throw up bile about ever 4 hours, which only lasted a day or so. My Dr. told me to try and drink about 1T of fluid, I liked gatorade, per hour. Then try to start to increase it every day. It's still hard to get my fluids in bc I'm not hungrey or thristy. But I have to make a good effort everyday. Call your Dr. office and ask for ideas to get fluid in. It truely does get easier everyday. Good luck
godknowsican
on 5/3/11 9:35 am - MD
 I'm 8 days post-op.  My surgeon prescribed pepsid. I'm to open one capsule every morning and take it with a sip of protein. I haven't experience nausea and i believe this is why.

The one thing I can say is its totally true that everyday is better than the last.

Good Luck and hang in there!

Ecolwitz
on 5/3/11 9:36 am - AL
Have you tried Gas-X?  That worked for me.  They finally (on Day 3) said I could take that.  I threw up the 2nd day out, as well, and I couldn't tolerate any fluids.  Slowly, it got better.  Walking helped.  I called my doctor and he said i was pushing it too hard.  So, try very small amounts of liquid.  I also need cold now, but at the time, I could only tolerate room temp.  The broth seemed to go down the best at that time.  It's all trial and error.  You'll feel better in a few days, I promise.  Just get through this first week.

I still have trouble with liquids, in general. I almost always hiccup after glasses of water or juice.  I guess that's just life now!  But..I've lost 30 lbs, so keep your eye on the prize.

E

Jenijeni
on 5/3/11 9:45 am
Are you on a PPI? If not, ask your doc about one. I couldn't do anything but WARM liquids for a couple weeks. I would mix my protein powder in warm milk, have Unjury chicken, or drink warm tea or broth. My nut said that flavored water is tolerated better than plain. Good luck!!

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

mayday79
on 5/3/11 10:42 am - NJ
The first few days after surgery I was miserable and kept asking myself why the hell did I do this.  But by about day 4 i started feeling better and at the 1 week mark i felt great!  This is the hardest part.. you'll get through it.

Most Active