Hiatal hernia has ruined my excitement about my new sleeve!!!

Mishie1108
on 4/24/11 1:51 pm - FL
VSG on 04/19/11 with
Hi gang.  Haven't been on in a while  because I went into the hospital on Tues 4/19 for my surgery and just came home this afternoon, Sun 4/24!  Seems the hiatal hernia the doctor had to fix was quite large and caused excessive inflammation and swelling around the esophogus causing ALOT of pressure and pain. The first two days were miserable - throwing up for two solid days. Couldn't keep anything down until late Thursday and that part of a popsicle and a few sips of tea (most of which didn't day put). So I was put back on ice chip again.  And I'm having the "slimmies" and "foamies" ALL THE TIME no matter what I drink!  The doctor told me I have the distinction of being his first patient with such a large hernia repair and having additional problems too.  Needless to say, I have been second guessing my decision since surgery - but too late now!  I'm sure that will change once I get further along and can tolerate stuff. Right now I'm struggling with everything - water, icepops, decaf tea, SF jello, flavored waters.  It s sooooo difficult but I DO NOT want to end up back in the hospital dehydrated so I'm going to try my best and hope it continues to get better day by day (not sure how much longer I can take this nausea, and slimey/foamies crap!).  I need to try a protein drink tomorrow - just didn't have it in me today to go down that road as I'm still having problems keeping most things down without tightness and slimeys close behind. 

Anyone else have similar issues?  How long did it last?  When I ask the doctors all I hear is "it's different with everyone".  Well no kidding, but at least give me an idea what I'm facing dude!!!  Thanks for listening and hope everyone is doing well and had a Hip Hip Hoppity Happy Easter.

Mishie
        HW: 387      Pre-op Diet: 368         SW: 348.7          Goal: 175          I am 5 ft. 5 in.

(deactivated member)
on 4/24/11 1:56 pm
 I'm wishing you best of luck and a speedy recovery.   I would bet that once the swelling is down from all the work you will be back on track.  Keep hydrated and work on your recovery. 

>hugs
(deactivated member)
on 4/24/11 2:08 pm - CA
I had a very small hiatal hernia that the endoscopy did not see. The doctor fixed it and even though it was very small, it still caused inflammation and I was unable to get fluids down until a few days later, causing a longer hospital stay.  I didn't have all of the issues you had but it was a bummer for sure. Overall, now that I'm home, I'm kind of glad it's all fixed because the hernia was super annoying and now I can focus on healing. Sorry you're having a rough time right now, though.
Foxbins
on 4/24/11 2:08 pm
I too had a large hiatal hernia repaired during my VSG.  I had enough drugs in me post-op so that I had no nausea or pain which I think was important for me to feel like I could manage at home.  I had tummy spasms which made me regurgitate liquids into my mouth but it mainly happened in the mornings or with cold liquids, so I switched to drinking hot ones.  The spasms disappeared about week three. 

Keep your chin up, it does get better.  I probably didn't get a protein shake in me until day 10 post-op, but I tried my best to stay hydrated; got in maybe a liter/day the first couple weeks.  Things are good now.  You will do fine, I'm sure.
cindyls06
on 4/24/11 2:24 pm - Marietta, GA
Hi Mishie ,

I didn't have a hernia, but I did experience the constant nausea and vomitting and was in the hospital for a week instead of 1 day for my VSG surgery. My sleeve was swollen and as it turns out my esophogus wasn't very open. I had nausea and vomitting for almost 5 weeks and I would not wish that on anyone.  I sincerely hope that it doesn't take that long for you. I posted an update on all that went down and now I am starting to feel better, be able to eat and drink.

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/GA/4377053/Feeling-Much-Better-Af ter-Complications/

I will say that my doctor did give me some reasonably accurate estimates of how long it will take me to get better. When he saw my sleeve was swollen on my second day post-op, he told me I would be in the hospital a week, then my last day he told it would take at least a month for me to start feeling better. 

But that was him based on his experience with my issue. But for the most part he was right.

I really hope you feel better soon. I know how much what you are going through sucks!

-Cindy

Danielle K.
on 4/24/11 2:30 pm - Evart, MI
I had an extremely large hiatal hernia also and struggled getting fluids in.  I am still having difficulties but not nearly as bad as the first 3 weeks.  I too had spasms my doctor sent me home with Levsin which is normal for him but he also gave me a script of Valium since my spasms were so awful I also got Phenergan for nausea.  All in all I made it through the 3 weeks.  The worst part was swallowing fluids and feeling it sit at the bottom of my esophagus until that sphincter relaxed and let it into my stomach.  I agree that cold fluids were harder to get in.  Room temp or warm liquids went down best.  With the exception of Jello and popsicles.  They were the only very cold things I could get down without difficulty.  

My thoughts are with you.  Take every day one at a time knowing you are one day closer to it being all better. 
HW: 294 SW: 287 Surgery Weight: 271.6 CW: 218.2        

didim62
on 4/24/11 2:32 pm - Kensington, CT
Gosh ...so sorry your having such a hard time. I know it's difficult to get the liquids in as I still have a hard time with it but you have to just keep on sipping. I hope that the swelling goes down quickly for you and that your able to get the normal full liquid things down and keep them down soon Hope that your feeling better soon Mishie. Keep your chin up!!
Didi ..... Sleeved and living my NEW LIFE!!!!

Highest WT 381   Surgery WT (367.8)    Current WT 236
(deactivated member)
on 4/24/11 3:03 pm, edited 4/24/11 3:03 pm
So sorry you had such a hard time.  Like Waffleking, I had a small hiatal hernia.  That and other health issues combined with my weight meant I had to be in the hospital 4 days!  BLEAH!!!!!!!
I, too was not feeling so hot before I left the hospital.  It is just the pits.  But, you should start feeling lots better very soon.  )The first two days in the hospital, I kept asking, "Am I ever gonna feel good again???"  Everyone assured my I would and they were right.

It did take quite a few days until I was able to get my liquids in.  Now it is a lot easier.

Try to be patient... this is just the beginning of your new life.  We have the rest of our lives ahead and it looks GOOD!
Mishie1108
on 4/25/11 1:26 am - FL
VSG on 04/19/11 with
 Thank you to all for your comments and suggestions.  It was all very helpful.  I am doing a bit better today. Already got down a popsicle, cup of tea and am now working on getting in some water.  
        HW: 387      Pre-op Diet: 368         SW: 348.7          Goal: 175          I am 5 ft. 5 in.

SusanCC
on 4/25/11 2:46 am
So sorry you are having such a tough time. I had the hernia too and stayed in the hospital longer. As for the protein drink, try the zero carb Isopure you can get from GNC. It tastes like koolaid and was very easy on my stomach. I am still drinking 8oz. a day just to supplement. They have all kinds of flavors!

Good luck!
Susan
Most Active