no BM in over 8 days....should I worry?

Jennifer S.
on 4/20/11 4:00 am - KS

Ok....not the most pleaseant of subjects...but wondering if I should be concerned...I am 6 days post op and have not had a bm since 2 days pre-op.  I have been experienceing gas pains and bloating....should I be worried?

"My life tomorrow will be the result of my attitudes and the choices I make today."

quintons_mommy200

on 4/20/11 4:09 am
I haven't had the VSG yet.. but I've had other surgeries and I find that I don't poo much right after surgery either. Has to do with your body systems being shut down while you're under is what I've been told. I would probably check with your surgeon though, cause I've also heard many people on this board say they're experiencing a very opposite issue post op with liquids in, liquids out.

Congrats on taking such a big step to a new you! 

faylavi
on 4/20/11 4:11 am - Laurel, MD
I would not worry, but I would add some Miralax to your protien shake.  You cant taste it (to me its a positive).

Good luck!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

46yrs old  5'4'' HW 306  AW  288  SW 276 CW 192  205                                                  Next goal <199     

debk21
on 4/20/11 4:23 am - Mansfield, TX
8 days is a loooooonnnnnggggg time.  I agree, put some Miralax into something and that should get you "going"...

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

buxom_blossom
on 4/20/11 4:40 am
VSG on 04/12/11 with
I just had VSG surgery last week too. At 5 days post-op I took a little Miralax to get things moving. I'm not going to lie it was not fun - there was a lot to come out and I had to make a real effort to not push (I was afraid of straining my insides). I ended up having to take pain killers after and my eyes were bloodshot ( gross!). But 3 days later I'm regular and feeling much better.

If I were you I would take a stool softener today.

Looking back I think I was backed up from the pre op liquid protein diet & wish I would have taken Miralax a few days before surgery so I wouldn't have to deal with it as I'm healing.

I'm 5'10"  -   HW 264 lbs  -  lost 9lbs pre-op diet -  SW 255 lbs  

emelar
on 4/20/11 4:52 am - TX
Call your doc and see what laxative they recommend and take it.  You need to get things moving again.  Then start taking a regular fiber dose - benefiber or metamucil - to keep things going.  Just be sure to take them with fluids.
Linda B.
on 4/20/11 5:30 am - CA
I used an awesome tea called Smooth Move. I was 4 days without and was starting to panic. It worked before I was done with the cup and very gentle on the tummy.
Linda B
Awesome workout: www.ujamfitness.com 

HW=249#  SW= 236#  CW 179#  TOTAL=71 lost BMI= 30.6
Lose weight with me at LIVESTRONG.COM

Carmelita
on 4/20/11 5:38 am - Four Corners, NM
yeah...that's way too long! Seriously check into a COMPLETE PROBIOTIC...with as many strains and highest count possible.  You ain't got any good bugs in ya...needed for digestion, boost our immune system and keep those trouble makin bad bugs at bay....ALL microflora is  killed off when ya were on IV antibiotics in the hospital. 

Our diets because of acid (protein)...feeds bad bugs, our supplements post op like PPIs create an enviroment in our stomachs that allows passage of bad bacteria that are usually killed off with HCL.
See many post op peeps here post op wind up with gas, bloat, constipation, hypochloridia (^^yeast candida/bad bugs) UTIs...all kinds of bad bug bacteria causing crap!

Feed good bugs with FIBER....benefiber, SF metamucil (psyllium) at yer stage.

Yogurt/kefir not enough  not complete

Miralax
Colace
Senokot
MOM
are a few of the types many surgeon's rec.  realize they are "band-aids"  yer always gonna have problems until you address the cause.

Gin2bthin
on 4/20/11 5:57 am - WV

Get some colace or miralax or a fleets enema it should come soon if it doesnt I would contact your doctor you dont want to get impacted..

buffy415
on 4/20/11 6:09 am - MA

I am just starting this journey.  I have seen my surgeon and he thinks a gastric sleeve will be good for me, the only thing is he does not think my ins. will cover it.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Most Active