Kristy R.
on 4/12/11 4:17 am - Santa Clara, CA
On April 12, 2011 at 11:12 AM Pacific Time, KrisJ77 wrote:
YAY!!!  Hey - whats a blind NG tube?
 Explanation in my post below :)
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

Kristy R.
on 4/12/11 4:16 am - Santa Clara, CA
 An NG tube is a nasogastric tube, a slender tube that is inserted in the nose, down the back of the throat, into the stomach. An NG tube might be placed if a patient needs his stomach suctioned out. Patients can also be tube fed through an NG tube. Normally, a doctor or nurse just kind of shoves the tube up the nose and pushes. It generally ends up in the right places. They check before pouring anything into the tube to make sure it's in the stomach, not a lung. But they do it "blind," they can't see where the tube is going.

After surgery, you shouldn't have a blind NG tube. Your stomach is shaped differently , and the walls of your little tummy can easily be damaged by the NG tube if it's not inserted carefully. A doctor should insert the tube using a scope, a tiny camera, that allows him or her to see where the tube is going.

Kristy R.
on 4/12/11 4:22 am - Santa Clara, CA
 After some consideration, I felt it was a good idea to have the bracelet in case something happens to me so they know I had the surgery right away, in case I have some kind of complication from having the surgery (such as fainting, God forbid a leak or some thing like that).  Then they might find what they are looking for sooner if I am out of commission.  I am not really an alarmist, I just thought it was a simple thing to do that might save me some complications in an emergency.  :)

ms_smiles
on 4/12/11 4:53 am
Congratulations Im so excited for u sounds like ur doing great. I had my appt yesterday and doing well. Its so weird how our plans are different I am on soft foods now trying to figure out whats easy on my tummy. I definitely realize I will be doing shakes for a while to get in all the protein. I barely could finish an egg for breakfast. Keep up the good work

“Success means having the courage, the determination, and the will to become the person you believe you were meant to be”- George Sheehan

Kristy R.
on 4/12/11 5:27 am - Santa Clara, CA
On April 12, 2011 at 11:53 AM Pacific Time, ms_smiles wrote:
Congratulations Im so excited for u sounds like ur doing great. I had my appt yesterday and doing well. Its so weird how our plans are different I am on soft foods now trying to figure out whats easy on my tummy. I definitely realize I will be doing shakes for a while to get in all the protein. I barely could finish an egg for breakfast. Keep up the good work
 I can have things like thinned out mashed potatoes, yougurt, etc.  I am pretty sure I will have to be on the shakes for a while too, it's all an adjustment isn't it?  In fact, I will probably be one of those that has one for breakfast.  I was expecting him to tell me that pureed was ok today, but NOOOOO.  LOL.  It's ok, he is just looking out.  

Most Active
Recent Topics