My hair

Bahamas1968
on 4/10/11 11:08 pm - MI
I just read a  post that stated her HAIR fell out and her nails were brittle and breaking....Has anyone else experienced these issues?
larissas
on 4/10/11 11:27 pm
Lots of people lose hair 3-6 months after surgery For me, my hair got thinner but not all fell out at all - it still looks nice, though I admit I did go get a color treatment designed to "volumize" it. My nails have had no problems. There is debate over whether taking biotin as part of your vitamin regimen might help - I do.
HW 309 SW 268 CW 196

(deactivated member)
on 4/11/11 12:50 am - Castle Rock, CO
 May I ask what the treatment is called - I'd like to get color w/out effecting hairloss. volume sounds great! 
larissas
on 4/11/11 12:53 am
I don;t actually know :0 - my hair person did it - she did a "toner" and the a "clear gloss" I think?
HW 309 SW 268 CW 196

dragon1
on 4/10/11 11:39 pm, edited 4/10/11 11:39 pm - NY
Any time your body goes through a major stress, it's possible that you will have hair-loss. 

It's not that you permanantly lose it, it's just that a lot of the hairs "shut off" at the same time.  Every hair has a cycle, and grows, goes dormant and then falls out, and  later starts over again. That's why we lose hair regularly. When there is a major stress, a higher than ususal number of hairs shut off before their regular scheduled time, so you lose a lot of hair; it will come back, eventually....

It's really common for new mothers soon after delivery (I had my daughter a year ago, and in my pic, you can see the two inch fuzzy wisps all over the top of my head right now from where it fell out...grrr).  Getting enough protein will help it to grow back quickly, even if it doesn't stop it from falling out to start with.
Pixie-Power
on 4/11/11 3:36 am - Los Angeles, CA
Between the stress of the anthesia and the loss of nutrients, hair loss is very common among bariatric surgery patients.  I started noticing the hair loss at 2 1/2 months post -surgery, and now at almost 6 months post-op, it is just starting to slow down, although it hasn't stopped altogether.  It doesn't come out in chunks, just overall thinning.  I do color-treat my hair, and do extra conditioning because of it and the thinning.  I haven't had any porblems with brittle nails.

Unfortunately,  there's not much you can do to prevent hair loss if you're one of those suceptible to it.  However, keeping up on your protein intake, and taking biotin, can help with the re-growth.

age: 53   5'1" tall   HW=231  SW=216  CW=139.8  GW=130         

Most Active