Leaving for surgery (Dallas) tomorrow - do I have everything?

buxom_blossom
on 4/8/11 11:51 pm
VSG on 04/12/11 with
 I have to admit that this is the weirdest trip to pack for.  I'm leaving Canada early tomorrow morning for Dallas and will be there for a week.  Pre-op testing/first surgeon visit on Monday then surgery is booked for 10:30am Tuesday!  I'm going to max out my self-pay hospital stay and then treated myself to shacking up in a 5 star hotel for the rest of the time.   I'm thankful that my mom and sister will be coming with me and have been there for me in every sense of the word. 

I'm feeling really secure and confident going in - thanks to all you sharing your stories! 

Alright back to my packing list - am I missing anything? 
- pj bottoms & tanks 
- sports bras 
- underwear 
- socks, slippers, flip flops 
- robe 
- iPad, iPod (with healing meditations & books loaded on it), phone
- Toiletries
- heating pad & ho****er bottle 
- thermometer  & machine to check blood pressure 
- gas-X strips
- chapstick, moisturizer, Bio Oil for incisions
-  nalgene water bottle (so I know how much water I'm drinking in the hotel)
- kettle 
- Ispure protein drinks (so I don't have to worry about finding it there) 
- Dry mouth spray & listerene spray 
- a pillow to hold against my stomach on the flight home 
- ??????

I'm 5'10"  -   HW 264 lbs  -  lost 9lbs pre-op diet -  SW 255 lbs  

Suane
on 4/8/11 11:57 pm - Livingston County, MI

Wow, sounds like you got most of it together and then some! I would suggest some liquid Tylenol too. It will help with any small pain you may experience. After a few days, you may be out sightseeing.

Loose clothes to wear back from the hospital and on the plane too. That will make you more comfy.

Looking to hear from you soon!

Always the best wishes, Sue 

HW: 261   SW: 248.5   CW: 154  GW: 135     5' 2"

foodlover
on 4/9/11 12:44 am
I had the same Dr.  You can't use anything on your incisions.  They have the glue and tape on them and any oil will break down the glue.  They don't want you using chapstick, they have some lip stuff at the hospital to use.  Good luck!!!!  Baylor is a WONDERFUL hospital and anyone from dr. nick's office is GREAT!  How long will you be in the hospital?  Maybe I can come visit you! :)
Jac0913
on 4/9/11 1:02 am - TX
Buxom_Blossom, I am scheduled for surgery with Dr. Nick at 11:30AM on Tuesday - I go in right after you!  I am brand new to the OH forum, but have been "lurking" on here for several months now.  I am super excited for Tuesday to get here!  I wish you all the best during the procedure and after.

BTW-Your checklist ROCKS!  :)

Jaclyn
buxom_blossom
on 4/9/11 1:12 am, edited 4/9/11 1:14 am
VSG on 04/12/11 with
@foodlover
Thanks for the tips! I'll take a few things out of my suitcase. Where you happy with him as your surgeon? How was your recovery? I'm going to be at the Forrest Park hospital not Baylor. I'm sure both a great.

@ Jac0913
No way! That's great. I'll keep an eye out for you at Forrest Park, maybe we can walk the halls together? :)

Have you had all of your pre-op testing and met with him already? I got a good feeling from him based on his experience and from his YouTube vids but it's scary choosing a surgeon based on YouTube!

Are you ready?
Jac0913
on 4/9/11 1:35 am - TX
@Buxom-Blossom
I was so thrilled when I read your post, I really hope we get a chance to meet!  I'm trying to upload a pic now.

I did a lot of research before deciding on Dr. Nick.  He is very well known in Dallas and has a great reputation here.  I had my surgical consult with him 3 weeks ago, he seemed very down to earth and was great about answering all my questions.  Honestly, his entire staff has been wonderful.  My pre-op testing was completed this past Monday. 

As far as being ready, I think so..I won't lie I go between being super excited to sometimes weepy.  I'm scared (I have a young child at home) but I feel like we are in very good hands with Dr. Nick.
amytang81
on 4/9/11 3:54 am
VSG on 07/28/10 with
You guys are going to LOVE Dr Nick. He is the best. He is super sweet. The lady before was right about nothing on the incisions. They do put some glue on them. I did not need anything for dry mouth they allowed me to have ice chips in recovery. I had my surgery at Baylor sounds like you are going to have it at the Forrest Park location. Which is a very nice facility. You both are going to do great!

Buxom_blossom......I am curious why did you pick Dr Nick? I know that he is great but just wondering someone that lives in Canada flying way down here to have surgery thats cool but is there something about him that maybe I dont know. ?

~~~Amy~~~        
Jac0913
on 4/9/11 8:04 am - TX
Jac0913
on 4/9/11 8:05 am - TX
@anytang81 - Thanks for posting!  You are doing fabulous with your weighloss, girl - congratulations!  I'm glad to hear you like Dr. Nick as much as I do.  Do you attend any of the monthly support groups?  I'm thinking I'd like to go to meet other sleevers and hear about their experiences, etc. 

Height: 5'7 / HW: 223 / CW: 180 / GW: 145
Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy | Surgery date: April 12, 2011 | Dr. Nick Nicholson

amytang81
on 4/9/11 8:44 am
VSG on 07/28/10 with
Yes I do attend every month. Although, I have missed the last two because of other things I had to do with my daughter. I attend the one at 9101 North Central the 2nd Thur of every month. It starts at 6:30 and runs to about 8 then people will leave and some of us will hang around a little longer to chat. Its great I hope that you are able to make it to one. Do you see him at the Forest Park Location or at the Dallas location off of Park lane?
Most Active
Recent Topics