Confuzzled about meds/vitamins and water

Kristy R.
on 4/4/11 12:20 pm - Santa Clara, CA
 Won'****er flush out the vitamins and meds before I have a chance to absorb them if I drink right away with them?
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

MacMadame
on 4/4/11 12:25 pm - Northern, CA
Well, they get absorbed in your intestines. not your stomach.

I wouldn't drink a big glass with them, but enough water to get them down followed by a meal should be fine. In fact, it's best to do your vitamins with food. They get absorbed better that way.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

stephf
on 4/4/11 1:34 pm - CA
VSG on 03/29/11 with
hey Kristy!! how did the surgery go?? I remember we had the same date!! yay we rock!

HW 288  PRE OP WEIGHT  249/ SW241/ CW 146.8     

Kristy R.
on 4/4/11 2:16 pm - Santa Clara, CA
On April 4, 2011 at 8:34 PM Pacific Time, stephf wrote:
hey Kristy!! how did the surgery go?? I remember we had the same date!! yay we rock!
 Surgery went very well!  Thank you, how was your's?  How are you feeling now?  I'm about 95%, returning to work on Wed.  Best wishes!

Kristy R.
on 4/4/11 2:15 pm - Santa Clara, CA
 see, this is why I ask, LOL..I'm no Dr.  Can't retain it all, heh.  I have been taking my meds/vitamins when I have my watered down soft foods, applesauce, pudding, whatever.  Then I wait my one hour before drinking again.  May I say that the chewables taste like chalk, at least the Bariatric Advantage ones I got.  Pleh!

(deactivated member)
on 4/4/11 10:00 pm
 Absorption takes place in the intestines, not the stomach, so you should be fine.  I usually wait a half hour or so after taking mine before drinking any additional water just to give 'em the chance to start to break down.  

That's why drinking with food is frowned upon post op, it washes the food through your stomach and into your intestines where it's still absorbed despite you feeling hungry again sooner.  

All of the above is "to my understanding".  Good luck and enjoy the ride 

Most Active
Recent Topics