Potassium

Could_It_Be
on 3/29/11 12:36 pm
 I wouldn't worry about the taste with the risk of serious heart issues and even death! Definitely call the cardiologist, even if you don't have an appointment for a couple months. 

DO NOT mess around with this yourself.
SassyItalian
on 3/29/11 12:38 pm - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
There is no way for me to get all the potassium i need from food so I got pills from the doc- they were terrible and big so I got some potassium salts rx'd which are citrus flavored but still salty, i think they would be ok mixed with orange gatorade. uck this is the bane of my exsistance trying to get it in.

definitely listen to your cardiologist- low potassium can cause heart arrythmia

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

diane S.
on 3/29/11 1:12 pm
I agree with the others. if cardiologist says take it, then take it. period. I don't know if there is anything about wls that requires it, but thats irrelevant.

I used to have to take it when I took bp pills. Even had to take a bunch extra before surgery.  but after weight loss, no more bp pills and no more potassim.

You might call the pharmasist and see if they come in smaller pills so you could take more of them  or in other forms. I know there is liquid. Yeah, those pills are huge. ask if its ok to split them into parts. But don't mess around with this please.

Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Libralin
on 3/29/11 11:21 pm - MorrisCounty, NJ
Thanks everyone for you sound words of advice! I really appreciate it!  I have a call into the dr. and told the nurse (cardio) that I even tried chopping the pill to 1/8s..but I have to drink too much water for just that one lousy pill.....and there are all the other things I have to take...Ill get my 32oz in all at once just by taking pills and vitamins!!!!! (gulping too; not good)

Hard to do all this in the morning and have to eat breakfast a half hour later....I might as well get up at 5am!!!!

I brought my chewables to work with me...but I take 2 BP meds...and Crestor in the morning..plus Bcomplex...Prilosec and now this!!!!

Phew..........!

Linda M. from Jersey

Dee08
on 3/30/11 1:37 am
VSG on 09/01/08 with
Linda my potassium also runs low and I am on prescription.  When I had my sleeve, I was on the large horse pill potassium 3 times a day.  I took them with milk and they went down a lot easier.  I have since changed to a lower dose of potassium that I talk 6 times a day.  That is the only way I can keep my count up.  My doc told me I would have to eat a bushel of bananas a day and still would not get enough potassium.  Check with your doctor about a lower dose taken several times a day.  I set the timer on my cell phone and it is a constant reminder to me to take my pill.   Best of luck to you on your journey!
                  5'1"  Age 62   Goal weight between 128 - 135  
Libralin
on 3/30/11 4:42 am - MorrisCounty, NJ
Nurse called me back; They are ordering a smaller size to take 2x a day....

Thanks for all your help....Great Info!

Most Active