Potassium

Libralin
on 3/29/11 11:32 am - MorrisCounty, NJ
Anyone know if we should be taking extra potassium? I called the drs office today and the nurse said..oh..well you get potassium from your food....I said...Im in my 4th week and I cant think of anything Im eating that has potassium....
Plus my cardiologist wants me to take it for my heart...but they are like horse pills!
Anyone know if there is a chewable form or liquid?

I know Im lacking because I can feel the leg cramps starting to set in...and Im a little dizzy...

Linda M. from Jersey

Could_It_Be
on 3/29/11 11:36 am
 I'd take what the cardiologist says and go with it. 

I remember when I was a kid, my grandfather took liquid prescription potassium. Talk to your cardiologist!

novascotiadawn
on 3/29/11 11:39 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
There is liquid, but, it is the most horrible tasting stuff on the Earth. Through IV it burns like a son of a gun. If you can it by take by pill form, I'd take it pill form. Did you have blood work done saying it was low?

Hugs

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

(deactivated member)
on 3/29/11 1:52 pm
I had a potassium defiency in the hospital and OMG!  The pain was instantaneous the minute the drop of potassium hit my veins.  I couldnt take it they ended up diluting it with double amounts of saline before I could deal with it.  It was'n't burning it was pain like I was having a heart attack, terrible.
hollykim
on 3/29/11 11:43 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Stick with what your cardio says. Potassium is one supplent we should NOT mess arpund with. It can be very dangerous in unskilled hands.

Low magnesium can also cause leg cramps. I take a 400 mg tab twice a day which is more than the RDA but it is what I have to have.

good luck,
Holly

nsblue
on 3/29/11 11:44 am - Brookfield. NS, Canada
how about blending a bit of banana in your protein shake?

Libralin
on 3/29/11 11:49 am - MorrisCounty, NJ
I used to eat a banana everyday...pre surgery...but my potassium was still low..Its from the BP meds that have a water pill in it...I dont see my cardiologist till May.

Are your 400 mg pills small? The ones I have are even big cut in half! I dont want to hurt my stomach......This is the beginning of my fourth week.!

novascotiadawn
on 3/29/11 11:51 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hi Linda,

The nurses tried a lot of different mixes for me while in the hospital. I wouldn't waste a protein drink on it. I would add it to a shooter glass and add OJ or lime juice to it if you were to go the liquid way.

Hugs

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

(deactivated member)
on 3/29/11 12:05 pm
Yes, they do have it in liquid form. I take it twice a day. You cardiologist can write you a prescription. Please get it if you need it. Lack of it can affect your heart. Blessings!
Libralin
on 3/29/11 12:07 pm - MorrisCounty, NJ
Someone else says it tastes bad...How do you tolerate it?

Most Active