Clear liquid diet giving me terrible diarrhea - help

Alex74
on 6/5/10 11:53 am - Chandler, AZ
Hi all, having a sleeve in 8 days and I've been on a clear liquid diet for 6 days now. Over the last 3 days I've had nothing but loose stools. Today it's more like explosive diarrhea. When I drink my broth it goes through me in about 20 mins. Did any of you guys experience this and did you have to alter your diet?

My instruction are to take 4 protein (125 calories max per shake) shakes a day. Only eat sugar free popsicles, broth or bouillon, sugar free jello or herbal tea. Usual vitamins and any medication of course.

I've seen other clear liquid diets with fruit juice included, but not mine. I need to be on this for 2 weeks, but I'm getting worried that I'm not even taking in the necessary nutrients for my body at the moment. Last thing I want it is to get sick right before my surgery.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

Alex.
Mack
on 6/5/10 12:06 pm - Logan, OH
The protein shake mix by itself would give me either terrible diarrhea, or form into hard little balls and would feel like passing golf balls (with spikes).

I was told to add a tablespoon or two of unflavored benefiber (or the walmart store brand unflavored fiber is cheaper) to the mix in the blender.  I did not change the taste, and did help with the irregularity.

By the way; I often add some extra flavor like a bit of vanilla extract, a few drops of other flavor, or a teaspoon of coco powder, or a teaspoon of sugar free pudding mix to the blender with some ice. I can really help the flavor and texture of the protein drinks. (I usually add some extra sweetener like a few drops of stevia extract if I add the coco as it is bitter by itself).  A half teaspoon of instant decaf coffee turns chocolate into mocha.

Hope this helps, Just remember the liquids are only for a couple of weeks at most.

CAUTION: Make sure Brain is engaged before putting Mouth into gear!!

Starting Weight 354/  PreOP 335/  Current 249/  Goal 195

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/10 12:38 pm - Modesto, CA
ii had my surgery on the 25th and i still have diarrea, remember water in water out, it'll change once you start eating
Alex74
on 6/5/10 1:49 pm - Chandler, AZ
Cool, thanks for the tips guys. I'll get some benefiber tomorrow and see how it goes. Tyvm for answering quickly.. I was getting worried.
J2 O.
on 6/5/10 4:50 pm - St. Louis, MO
Alex,

exnavy is so right on........water in, water out.

Hang in there, you will be ok. think positive, the clears before surgery help clean everything out. it is a good thing.

J

Highest: 249
Day of Surgery: 223

Current after 6 years of surgery: 143
Total lost.......................PRICELESS

Lifeski
on 6/5/10 10:44 pm
Speak with your doctors office. My doc gave me some medication that took care of the issue. There is no need to suffer.
Teresa
HW-293                     SW-290                    

(deactivated member)
on 6/6/10 2:17 am
Hey Alex,

I'm 3 days post-op,, surgery on 6.3.  I started clears on 6.1 and of course, that's all I'm able to have now.  Diarrhea has been a huge issue since I've come home.  I'm too blasted sore to make it to the bathroom in time, and I've had several major "accidents",  No fun...no fun at all.  Now I know why people advance their diets ahead of time -- not for the hunger issue, but for the bowel problems.
gibbygal
on 2/8/16 8:13 am
RNY on 02/16/16

I am on day three of my liquid diet and I am so glad you posted this. I was worried about the exact same thing!  Thanks for posting. You aren't the only one with this problem.  I am looking forward to this clearing up as well. 

Alex74
on 6/6/10 3:40 am - Chandler, AZ
Great info., and thanks again all. My Diarrhea is a lot less on the 4th day now. Yesterday was the worst of the 3 bad days (really scary). I guess I 'm starting to adapt to it. I will see if it improves more over the next week and if needed, I will talk to the office. Amazing help from all of you and I really appreciate it, thanks.

Hope you have less "accidents" over the next few days KGB5070!

Thanks again all

Alex

Most Active
Recent Topics