A Warning of a Scam coming from someone on this site

OldMedic
on 3/13/09 11:11 am - Alvaton, KY
Someone from this site signed me up for an Herbal Weight Loss product called Wu Yi Tea.  They apparently got my IP address from this site, and hacked into my computer somehow.

The Wu Yi Tea company said that they have had a LOT of this going on, and it appears to be from someone that is a member on this web site.  They are disquising themselves by using e-mail addresses that have another persons name.

We discovered that we were being charged $60.43 a month for a product that we did NOT order.  We have also had a bunch of other charges suddenly showing up, for things we have neither ordered nor received.  Someone has extensively stolen from us, by ordering merchandise and charging it off to my account.

We have closed out that bank account, and they will no longer be able to charge anything to us.

I have contacted the Sherrif's office about this.  If the person who did this will contact me directly, and make reimbursement, I will drop the case.  Otherwise, I will encourage the Sherrif and the local prosecuting attorney  to prosecute this person to the maximum extent possible.  They already have the person's IP address (who their Internet server is), and they will issue an arrest warrant within the next 2 weeks.

This is a felony in Kentucky, and the person could spend up to five years in prison, lose their voting rights, and lose any chance of ever working in any licensed profession.

Because of this scam, I will soon be leaving this site, permanently.  It seems that there is absolutely NO security here, and that anyone can access any and  all of our information if they choose to do so.

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

MalShayMama
on 3/13/09 11:14 am - Canada
Wow.. are you kidding me. Someone can do all that from something like a chat board?
I had no idea.
OldMedic
on 3/13/09 11:18 am - Alvaton, KY
They can if the site has no security on your personal information, your e-mail address, etc.

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

dw45
on 3/13/09 11:19 am - Hartford, AR
VSG on 03/23/09 with
Wow..this is terrible to hear!  Thanks for letting us know about this.
Beth K.
on 3/13/09 11:27 am - Finksburg, MD
everyone ought to check their credit card statements...yikes

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/vsgswith150ormoretogo/welcome/
46 lbs lost pre-op www.phmiracleliving.com Eat Healthy to Stay Healthy
    www.shrinkyourself.com

SunDvlFan
on 3/13/09 11:27 am - Glendale, AZ
That is really horrible. I hope you catch them and prosecute.
(deactivated member)
on 3/13/09 11:31 am
Thanks for the heads-up...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OH, really needs to step up to the plate and get something done about this,ASAP....or there will be a lot of people leaving, as well..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, this has happened to you....good for you, for getting on top of this as soon as you have...!!!

(((((HUGS)))))

cyndy
aniduff
on 3/13/09 11:55 am - Red Deer, Canada
VSG on 04/17/08 with
How sad...and someone from this site...shame, shame!!!

How come it is going to take so long to issue the arrest warrant?  Can't that person continue to mess with people in the mean time?  I would think a lot of damage could be done in 2 weeks...and why would you be willing to drop charges...If you do, then they can turn around and do this to someone else...Let them pay for what they have done...IN A COURT OF LAW!!!

D.O.S-217
Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.

Robert Collier

Laurie P.
on 3/13/09 12:17 pm - Oregon House, CA
VSG on 03/13/08 with
I am sorry this has happened to you, but how could they get your bank information from this site?  I know I've never given any bank info to this site.  What kind of protection do you have on your computer...such as firewalls etc?  Hopefully this is an isolated incident and you will be able to get it cleared up.  It's unlikely that your bank card will hold you responsible for the charges.  Good luck clearing it up.
Laurie

pre-op 265  lbs.    day of surgery 252  lbs.     curent 187 lbs.

Hoppy56
on 3/13/09 11:26 pm
I was wondering the same thing about the bank account,how did they get that without you giving it to them to pay for the order?
Most Active
Recent Topics