Who is Dr .Alvarez

dec721
on 3/8/09 4:22 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Check out his website:  endobariatric.com. 

I was self-pay, and he was the only surgeon I found by googling who didn't have some negative remarks.  (I didn't look at everyone, obviously.  There are other great ones.  I looked in Atlanta first, but Dr. Alvarez's name kept popping up.) 

Best wishes!     --Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

kakibonz
on 3/8/09 4:51 am
VSG on 02/10/09 with
IMO...
Dr. Alvarez is the BEST surgeon I could find. He is highly recommended, classified as one of the top surgeons of the continent. My insurance EXCLUDES any and all WLS, therefore I was self-pay. I was lucky that for me it was a 2 1/2 hour drive.

Good Luck in your decision!

MJ

Yentalicious
on 3/8/09 4:58 am
Hi,
I don't know much about Dr. Alvarez, but I wanted to reach out to you because I work in Williamstown and live in Camden County-if you would like to speak to someone local about the surgery, I would be happy to answer any question you have.  As for Dr. Alvarez, he seems to be pretty popular for people who self-pay and this surgery is expensive.  I just got the statement from my insruance company and it was 60K (I'm responsible for $1600).  With prices that outrageous, it makes sense that people will seek a surgeon who is qualified and economical.
sarose
on 3/8/09 6:52 am
VSG on 11/24/08 with
 Hi, Donna!
For me, he was the most experienced and the closest to home.  My experience was without complications or hassles.  I'd recommend him to friends and family.
Another Donna
Sue B.
on 3/8/09 7:20 am - Raleigh, NC
VSG on 05/29/09 with
Hi All!!
   I am having my surgery (VSG) done by Dr. Alvarez in June- CAN'T WAIT!!!   I wish I could have it done earlier- in fact, I may check that out. LOL!!!

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but since I am self pay (ie: Not going through my insurance company) - If there are complications or health problems related to the surgery, does anyone know if insurance considers getting the VSG a 'pre-existing' condtion??

This is my only concern at this point.
Thanks all!!
kidnee
on 3/8/09 9:00 am - WILLIAMSTOWN , NJ
thank you everyone.  What high regards for this surgen. So happy that everyone had such success with him. I understand now.  I am hoping my insurance will cover my surgery.

My problem however has been my severe case of Reflux and decreased esophageal motility. Gastric dr.s have wanted to do the funopication proicedure on me for this.  I have been investigating WLS for about 9 months now.  thought about RNY because this is a good treatment for reflux, however I was concerned about the malnutrition stuff and all the vitamins and Dumping etc.  Banding is not an option for me because of the reflux. sooooooooooo

I am now investigating the fundopication and the sleeve done together.  This may be the answer for me.

anyone with any insite good or bad, I would love to hear it.

thanks everyone

Donna      HW 242   SW 227  CW 117 

roxieannie50
on 3/8/09 10:11 am - , TX
VSG on 01/06/09 with
I don't have his number, but email his clinic and talk to Susan. She is very helpful and will probably be able to answer any questions you might have.
I see they have a off line live chat you might want to check into :)

10 lbs pre-op
                                5'7.5"
swflguy
on 3/8/09 11:05 am - bonita springs, FL
VSG on 07/24/08 with
I researched the top three docs in Mexico as much as I possibly could.  There are quite a few alums of all of them on here and most are pretty loyal to their surgeon, so I took every reply with a grain of salt when I asked anything similar preop.
What REALLY convinced me was watching Dr. A. actually performing a VSG on youtube.   There are several other surgeons on their showing their skills (I never found the other Mexican docs at the time, don't know if they have posted now) but Dr. A.'s surgical skill to me seemed VASTLY superior to any of the others I watched.  There was a grace, a fluidity, a gentle orchestration of the entire operation while he was inside.  His movements and skills seemed more delicate and practiced than any other surgeon.  If a picture can speak a thousand words, how many can a video?
BTW, I am just over 7 months out and over 140 pounds down.  That man saved my life.  If I sound biased, I am.
Best of luck on your journey and decision, but DO take some time to watch the procedures if you can stomach it (no pun intended, seriously :)  It may help you, it was a huge benefit for me!
If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me...
Tremory40
on 3/8/09 12:16 pm - Central, LA
VSG on 02/12/09 with
I would have paid MORE his gentleness, expertise and bedside manner...But I didn't have to! I would recommend him to family, even the ones I like!

16 lbs lost pre-op!

RoylynnW
on 3/8/09 12:24 pm - Bryan, TX
VSG on 06/05/08 with
Dr. Alvarez is one wonderful person and a Great Dr. I went to him because I had to pay CASH, I was able to meet with him in San Antonio at a Patient Reunion and I liked what I saw and was able to visit with others that had the VSG. Please email me if you need to chat .   Good Luck   Roy
Most Active
Recent Topics