Dr. Alvarez - how many went or are going to him?

pinknblue
on 4/13/08 12:29 pm - CA
VSG on 07/07/08 with
I haven't officially set a date, but if all goes as planned, I will have a date this week.  I am hoping for the week of July 7th.  There is a local Dr. who does self pay in Mexico once a month, so I had other options.  But, in the end I chose Dr. A because of the excellent reviews and the fact that he has done so many surgeries -- the cost was just icing on the cake!
Bard4fun
on 4/13/08 12:40 pm
I am scheduled for June 5th and looking so forward to it . I went to a seminar 2 weeks ago in San Antonio and he answered all my questions in great detail, I really got a good feeling about him and then all the great reviews on the forums are amazing. I think you will be happy.
Rachel B.
on 4/13/08 12:45 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with
I chose Dr. A because of all the wonderful things I've heard here, the price, but the big swing vote (ie. the one that quenched the fire of fear of surgery in Mexico) was that they do not break the sterile field of the OR by taking patients in on the gurney.  Hospital floors are horribly filthy.  If you ever go to visit with children, don't let them on the floors.  That changed my mind about Mexico. My mother wants to join me now too!!!!  WE'RE SUCH A TEAM!!!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

TexasDragonLady63
on 4/13/08 12:54 pm - Houston, TX
VSG on 05/12/08 with
Hi Jen, My sugery date is May 12th with Dr.A and I can't wait. After talking with Susan she put any worries I had to rest. she is just great and will help you thru everything. I live in Eagle Pass right across the border from Dr. A. so if I can help in anyway let me know. Tobie
ruwithme
on 4/13/08 1:21 pm - Tyler, TX
VSG on 05/22/07 with
Jen, I went with Dr A. As an OR nurse I was a little scared, but pleasantly surprised regarding the hospital, they use they same equipment we use here in a level one trauma center.Dr A, is amazing, he has the skills of a great surgeon, but a bedside manner  of a gentleman. If you have any questions I would be glad to answer. Best Wishes, Chantay
(deactivated member)
on 4/13/08 1:45 pm - MD
Jen!   I'm going to Dr. A too hopefully! I started out on this board asking for recommendations, and WOW did I get a lot of responses from Dr. A's patients! I asked for more info on him, and I got a ton of feedback. I went to people's profiles to look at pics too to see what the facilities looked like, and they're not half bad! :) The bottom line is that people love this guy more than you can imagine, and as was mentioned above, the price is just icing on the cake. I just sent my info form to Susan too a couple hours ago, and she already got back to me with some follow up questions. I hope we can both get this thing going! Woot!
PPARKER
on 4/13/08 1:47 pm - AL
VSG on 02/14/08 with

Dr Alvarez was my surgeon and I was very pleased with him and his staff.  The hospital was old, but was very clean.  My only issue was with the IV's.  I'm a hard stick and they ended up sticking me over 6 times before they got the IV going.  The IV came out a couple of times and they had to start all over.  I will say that in the states I'm usually stuck a bunch of times too, but usually after they get the IV going it does stay in.  With that said if I was doing it all over again I would still use Dr. Alvarez.  I had minor and I do mean minor discomfort.  After the first day after the surgery I did not take anything for pain.  I didn't even have to take tylenol  This surgery was a breeze for me.  My sister is checking into the VSG currently and I have recommended Dr. Alvarez to her.  So that should tell you something!

VeggieGal
on 4/13/08 3:39 pm - CA
VSG on 04/30/08 with
Hi Jen! I'm having VSG on April 30 with Dr. Alvarez and I can't wait!  I originally was in Kaiser's Bariatric Program, in the early stages of all the classes/nut/psych/surgeon appts when my husband's company switched us a few weeks ago to Aetna.  With Kaiser I was already approved, with Aetna, I'd have to start from scratch and all those insurance hoops.  So I decided to just go self pay.  I never even thought about going to Mexico, but when I started reading on this forum about all the positive things about Dr. A,  and about everyone's experiences, I was totally sold!  His training and the fact that he's #2 in the nation makes me feel amazingly lucky to have him!  Karin
Kristin B.
on 4/13/08 9:37 pm - West Des Moines, IA
VSG on 05/17/08 with
I am going if the wait doesn't kill me- I feel like a little kid waiting for a big birthday party!
Fortune sides with he who dares. ~ Virgil  
Unsolicited PMs about doctors, procedures, or facilities should be given as much consideration as spam offering foreign lottery winnings, penis- enlarging creams, and Nigerian fortunes.
beachesgal
on 4/13/08 9:41 pm - Pace, FL
VSG on 05/20/08 with
Through researching and reading this forum....I felt extremely lucky to have him as my surgeon.  I cannot wait to go.  My surgery is May 20.  Good luck to you Jen in whoever you choose.  HUGS, Donna

HUGS & LUVZ TO YOU!  Donna

Most Active
Recent Topics