Its a Tragedy

beckyhagens
on 2/8/10 10:24 am - New Braunfels, TX
Teena,

I have the same 'fear' or paranoia.  Being heavy since infancy, I am expected to be the fat one. Now, i'm not and I KNOW even 3 years out almost, folks are still expecting me to gain it back.

I do have one monthly reminder in that I am still paying for my part of the surgery.  I figure I can't let myself fail when I haven't even paid for this tool  yet!

Becky

forgiveness is giving up the hope that the past could be any different

John K
on 2/8/10 11:47 am - Katy, TX
I would do it again in a heart beat. I am still heathier than I was before surgery. There is no regrets for having this surgery. My regrets are not sticking to the plan. Thinking a little snack here, a little snack there, wont hurt. Thinking I will walk tomorrow. WLS is a gift. And if you keep on taking advantage of your gift you find yourself on familiar grounds.

If your scared of weight gain after wls and thats whats holding you back? Thats silly. Organized counseling and exercise are the key to success.

I would like to help you but you cant fix stupid. 

Jenny R
on 2/8/10 8:44 pm
Dear Belle,

I lost almost 200 pounds with RNY. I could have never done that with a simple diet. And although I struggle to find the self worth every single day to do the things I signed up to do, I wouldn't change anything for a minute. Sure, I move better. I feel better. I'm healthier. But what I went through the first year out - all the mental head crap that really forced me to look my crazy in the eye and hold myself accountable - I would never have gotten there without WLS. I was forced to stop the food madness because I couldn't get it in. So although we still struggle post-op, I think the struggle is different than pre-op struggle. Because we know what we need to do, and we no longer have a valid excuse to really let ourselves go (which ****** me off some days!). Even if I regained 80 pounds, I would have still lost 110 (which to me is amazing and successful!). The difference is - in my heart I know I could relose the 80 pounds because I did it one time before and am worthy of the effort involved to get there again. I personally wouldn't have known what  that felt like without WLS and all the mental crap I had to wade through to get there.  

cajungirl
on 2/8/10 9:58 pm
Belle, I hope we aren't scaring you about your choice of WLS.  I am grateful and thankful for the opportunities WLS has given me and for me, the first 3 years were an absolute breeze.  It's the past 2 years that I've struggled yet again with feeding my head hunger and mental "want to". 

Look at our struggles as they are and that it is possible you'll face these same struggles.  Not everyone does but MANY do.  Learn early out to find the balance and to also deal with the reason why you look toward food for comfort.  I honestly believe counseling is important not just the pre-op requirements of some insurances and doctors but long-term.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Stephanie G.
on 2/8/10 10:22 am - Rowlett, TX

I could talk about this topic for a month of Sundays but suffice it to say, I feel your pain and I'm terrified that I will be right there with you.  I gained 5 lbs in December and 2 months later I still have 3 of them.  WTH??  It should be so easy to lose 5 freaking pounds but for some reason I haven't (won't say CAN'T because I know I can but I HAVEN'T).

I too am a "grazer".  When I ate ONLY 3 meals a day I had no problem keeping the weight off.  Now I eat a bite or two of candy, then 2 hours later get another bite or two.  I'm NOT hungry, it just tastes good so I eat it.  I also know that if I eat solid protein I will stay full longer but I don't always choose to do that. 

Do ya'll find that you gain weight on so few calories that it makes it hard not too?  I know I will lose weight if I eat less than 1000/day, maintain on 1000-1200 and gain on over 1200/day.  That's just not right.  REAL people (non-WLS) can certainly eat more than that and not gain.  I guess our bodies just got used to much less and now our metabolism is jacked up. 

Thanks John for you honesty and for bringing this issue to light.  I am not nearly as far out as you guys (I'm 2.5 years) so I appreciate your wisdom and the fact that you share so much of yourselves with all of us.

~Stephanie~
RNY revision from lapband 7/30/07...TT/BL 10/9/08 and at GOAL

beckyhagens
on 2/8/10 10:27 am - New Braunfels, TX
John,  we ARE there for ya.. and think about our Gina Diva girl.  Seven years out almost and she was able to relose it.  I think it's a matter of just getting determined or angry or whatever it is.

Maybe it's remembering that those babies and Michelle need  you around at your best healthwise.  Maybe that would be good motivation?  I don't know and I am certainly not judging but i'm sure everyone has a point to get back that determination.

I'm not much to motivate because my motivation is pretty shot right now.  Just plain old burnout.  Hoping it doesn't last.

Becky

forgiveness is giving up the hope that the past could be any different

Kathy B.
on 2/9/10 10:33 am - TX

Just like someone else said earlier. I can talk about this for a month. I'm not gonna rant and rave I am gonna say this as nice as I can. I have read on this board and others that are my friends. I can't stand the judging we do of each other. I hear these newbies say "Why are they eating this, Why are they eating that" Some of these people are even 2 yrs out. Give me a freaking break. Don't judge people until you are 4 5 or 6 yrs out. Them you can talk **** It does not go away. It gets even harder. Your honeymoon will end just like ours did. I'm not being mean. Just listen to us. PLEASE I can't even put on here what I am able to eat. Some of you would just die. I love yall like my blood family. But, it is not magic. It only gets harder and harder. But, like John said I agree with I would do it again in a heart beat. I lost 186 lbs. I gained 36 and over the last 2 yrs lost 42 of that. So, yes, it can be done.. But, it ain't no free ride like you newbies are going thru now. Hugs, not being ugly or a ***** Just layin it out there..

Smile, it increases your face value.

John K
on 2/9/10 11:26 am - Katy, TX

I would like to help you but you cant fix stupid. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
constipations remedies
BrandonApafe · 0 replies · 111 views
Good morning Texas! 1/3/2024
Laura P. · 0 replies · 188 views
I'm new here
TattooMom · 4 replies · 487 views