Big Men

Beam me up Scottie
on 1/14/10 12:38 pm
The RNY and the DS are both last resort surgeries. The RNY removes the plyoric valve and the duodenum from the normal digestive track. The DS on the other hand keeps the plyoric valve and the first part of the duodenum in the digestive track.

As I said before there are risks with any surgery, but the DS has no more risks (statistically) then the RNY, and the long term results are significantly better for the DS in terms of both weight loss and keeping the weight off. (you can go to www.dsfacts.com to see several studies that show that to be true).

I do not know if medicaid in tx pays for the DS, I do know that medicare does pay for it. If it's not an option for you, it isn't an option good luck with your RNY; but it would be silly to have a major surgery without exploring all your options.

Scott
cajungirl
on 1/14/10 11:10 am
I've never heard men with higher BMIs are higher risk than women.  Surgery of any type can be risky.

The fear you have was experienced by many.....but as others said being SMO or MO has it's own risk and IMO doing something to improve your life and your health (for me anyway) was well worth it.

I agree with Scotty if you haven't considered the DS and your insurance pays for it then I recommend you look into that surgery in detail just as you do with the RNY.

Long term the DS success rates are higher than any other surgery to date......with a higher BMI IMO for best results the DS is the way to go.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

savedbaptis1968t
on 1/16/10 5:49 pm - Gladewater, TX
I need help my problem is I dont have a women to make my erection go away lol

beckyhagens
on 1/16/10 9:49 pm - New Braunfels, TX
cajungirl
on 1/16/10 10:25 pm
Haha Becky I'm not offended at all......I actually LOL at his response although I do agree it isn't necessary to put it on this board, we do have the SBAAWLS board for erection issues or no one to help RISE that erection.

beckyhagens
on 1/16/10 10:48 pm - New Braunfels, TX
Okay girl.  Just hate to see that stuff back on here when I was hoping that we were kinda getting the positive board back with some of the oldtimers.

Guess I am a bit protective and defensive.

Yes, the other board would be much better.

Becky

forgiveness is giving up the hope that the past could be any different

Stephanie G.
on 1/16/10 10:06 pm - Rowlett, TX
I understand your post was in response to Dana's tag line and I'm sure it was an attempt to be funny but there's another OH forum for that, it's called the Sex Board so please feel free to make comments like that there and not on this forum.  But if you have any questions related to WLS, feel free to post them here and we'd be happy to help.

~Stephanie~
RNY revision from lapband 7/30/07...TT/BL 10/9/08 and at GOAL

cajungirl
on 1/16/10 10:26 pm
Sorry I can't help with your "issue".

MariPW
on 1/16/10 11:17 pm - Fredericksburg, TX
An absolutely ridiculous response!  And you call yourself a "saved Baptist"???  The Baptists in AL would run you out of the church on a rail, tar and feather you, and I'm not so sure that the folks here won't do it as well.  If you want advice or a good discussion, that's fine, but keep the sexual innuendo off the thread.  As the others have said, take it to the sexual forum, THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR IT!!! Grow up!!! 

Liz_G_Tx
on 1/17/10 12:12 am
what the hell does this statement have to do with our original post regarding a high BMI etc? this is WAYYYY  past offensive, innopropriate and just plain stuipd!
Get your **** together or you wont have to worry about dying during surgery....

When I was born, I cried and the world rejoiced. Now i wanna live my  life so that when I die, the world cries and I rejoice

Most Active
Recent Topics
constipations remedies
BrandonApafe · 0 replies · 111 views
Good morning Texas! 1/3/2024
Laura P. · 0 replies · 188 views
I'm new here
TattooMom · 4 replies · 487 views