Big Men

savedbaptis1968t
on 1/13/10 4:56 pm - Gladewater, TX
Hello I need help please

I am 5'10 weigh 404 pounds My Surgeon is Mario Longoria with Southwest Bariatrics in Austin , Texas are there any one that had RNY with him I would appreciate if anyone have any experience of him

I am also having nightmares of dying from RNY I Had my first meeting on DEC 3 2009 and I was told Big men are the biggest risk I am terrified that I am going to die during surgery and I cant sleep over it

Are there any Men in here that Had RNY with a BMI of 57. 9 or more that had RNy

ddi you do ok I notice theres not any big men in here over 350 that had surgery I need to know of any men that had this done and how you did please
I need to get this done but im terrified im going to die

Deedles
on 1/13/10 7:42 pm - Highlands, TX
I don't know why men would be at higher risk than women but I'm not a Dr. I do know there are quite a few women that size and larger who had very successful surgeries.

You might want to post this on a couple of the other forums....
The Mens Forum ... www.obesityhelp.com/forums/men/
BMI over 50.... www.obesityhelp.com/forums/bmi_over_50/
Dee ..... ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
My new G.O.A.L. ~~~~ Get Out And Live!

Includes 61lbs lost before surgery

timsdanni
on 1/13/10 8:22 pm - Ft Stewart, GA
I had a BMI of 72 at surgery - my surgeon put off my surgery for a few months to aquire better equiptment for my size. - hows that for a shocker when you already think you are incredibly huge - my bariactic doc had to order bigger equitment before he could do my surgery

I was to the point I was more scared of dieing at my high weight than I was of dieing in surgery - I woke up 3 days latter in ICU due to complications-almost 4 years latter I have maintained a 200+ pound weight loss for 3 yrs including a pregnancy - I am healthier than ever before in my life - I wiegh less than I did at 11years old (the lowest weight I remember) I can buy clothes most anywhere - even trendy teen shops if I want to (not so much LOL) but best of all, I no longer embarass my husband, children or myself with my size  - I run my mouth a lot so I do manage to embarrase at least the teenager a fair amount:)

this is a major life altering choice- it has health ramifications for the rest of your life-i WOULD MAKE IT AGIAN but you need to know for yourself if it's the right choice for you

check out the men's forum I KNOW there are guys on here that were your size

peace
Danni
Home is where the army allows me to live with my husband

I know what I need to do - I have to choose to take care of me or I choose to fail

taraemerson
on 1/13/10 9:22 pm - New Boston, TX
Awe! Fella,

I feel your pain, I was considered high risk for a different reason than yours....I had a revision from VBG or stomach stapling....to  RNY

I have never done anything "simple", even my pregnancies were "troubled"...My appendix ruptured while 7 months pregnant with one of my boys...

I had a stroke at 42, no blood pressure issues, no clotting problems....just a freak of nature is what i am....

I had my Surgery on Dec 3rd, I did fine, during the operation the doctor found that i had 5 hernias....he sewn them together but didnt put mess in , just in case he had to go back in. see i told ya i dont do anything simple...

Until you have peace in your heart, you will not feel good about this surgery...mine was postponed twice, by the time i finally got on the table i was mentally and emotionally ready..

Im here for ya if ya need me....jitters are "part of it"

Da Shrinking Dawg
Ramon

on 1/13/10 10:03 pm - Houston, TX
Hey there..

I am glad to see that you are doing something to get healthy.. As for someone being in your shoes I know.. I am 5'8" and started at almost 500 pounds.. My BMI was over 70. 

I too had nightmares about dying but I also knew that if I didn't do something I would die anyway.. So why not  die trying to better myself.. Are there days that I regret having the surgery??  HELL YES ! !  There are also the days, when I play with my nephew's and Debra's grandkids that you could not pay me enough to give up..  This is a give and take I have been blessed and have had a lot more better days than bad days..

Just remember that they will do surgery on your stomach and not your head so you have to get yourself mentally right.. Be prepared to murder your best friend because as a big person our best friend is food.. If we are happy we eat, sad we eat just remember that..  Also I can not stress enough the importance of taking your vitamins after surgery..  Please check with your doctor and get the right ones..

I am sorry I have typed so much but if you have any questions please feel free to email me through here..
Ramon Lopez 
Co-Founder
 http://www.rydobesity.com 
Interview on www.weightlosssurgerychannel.com Please check it out.. http://www.weightlosssurgerychannel.com/programs/wls-journeys/wls-journeys-guest-ramon-lopez.html/
Video, about me, made by my best friend Yvonne.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gCxNTyRUo0
PEACE 
464/409/200
Thanks Obesityhelp.com
Teena C.
on 1/13/10 11:56 pm - Crandall, TX
I think fear of dying is something we all experienced during this process.  I was considered a lightweight because I only needed to lose 100 pounds but that didn't take away my fear.  The night before my surgery I wrote my young daughter a letter just in case.  I prayed God would give me a fever so I wouldn't have to have the surgery.  I had every person I know tell me the horror stories they had heard.  But like the others have said I had to do this for myself.  When my doctor told me if I wanted to see my daughter grow up that I would have to do something that was all it took.  My diabetes was out of control and my BP was high.  I had severe sleep apnea and high cholesteral.  I was only 42 years old.  I was ready to live again.  I no longer have to take any meds (just vitamins).  Maybe get a consult with another doctor in your area and see what they say.  I think you have got to trust your surgeon and feel comfortable with them when you go into this journey.

Gina L.
on 1/14/10 12:26 am - Bryan, TX
I wanted to tell you that my husband will be 5 years out from his RNY on January 17th. At a week before surgery he was 396, so it is definitely possible that he was 400 on the day of surgery. I'm sure he would be glad to offer you support or suggestions. By the way, he was born in Gladewater and we have relatives there too. He doesn't get on here anymore, but he does have a profile with pictures you could reference. HIs profile is listed under Bill Latham.

Good luck to you!
Gina L

Gina L
263/162/151/162
Pre-Op/Goal/June '08/Current
26W/8's/12
"Livin' Large, But Not Morbidly Obese!"

Reporter Q.
on 1/14/10 9:32 am - Azle, TX

My husband is 5'11" and was pushing 450 at surgery. 

He did have complications and they were life threatening.  He is now disabled from the results of the surgery but is a poster boy for SURVIVAL.  He has a feeding tube and lots of other problems, but he will be the first to tell you he would do it all again in a heartbeat, because if he hadn't, he would not have a heartbeat now.  His life is somewhat back to normal, albeit a new normal.

They never have given us a good reason for his problems.  I have my thoughts on the matter.  Post op 3 days he got thirsty.  He did not sip.  He gulped.

I tell you this to tell you one thing.  FOLLOW EVERY RULE LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT.  If the doc says stand on your head if you get the hiccups, figure out how to do it.    Do exactly as the doc tells you and call him at any sign of distress. 

Tom's problems have been hard and hard to get over, but he did it.  A complication no matter how big or small, can be handled.  I wish you luck, an uneventful surgery and an easy recovery.  You will be in my prayers and I want to hear how you do.

Que

THE REPORTER...

Be Kinder than Necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Beam me up Scottie
on 1/14/10 9:53 am
I had the DS when I was almost 500 lbs. I had a BMI over 60 and 4 years later, I'm maintaining my 300 lbs weight loss.

Is surgery a risk? Sure....but staying fat is a bigger risk. From my personal experience, being thin is MUCH Better then being overweight. It was worth the risk and the pain of recovery to have a fresh start and a new life.

Personally if I had a BMI over 50, I would not consider the RNY, I'd go to a surgeon that performed the DS. Dr. Ganta in Austin performs the DS (you can find his contact info on www.dsfacts.com).

Scott
savedbaptis1968t
on 1/14/10 11:42 am - Gladewater, TX
Thanks but I am on medicaid and Southwest Bariatrics is the only doctor close to me that does the RNy and the DS is not for me dont they remove half your stomach for that?  
Most Active
Recent Topics
constipations remedies
BrandonApafe · 0 replies · 111 views
Good morning Texas! 1/3/2024
Laura P. · 0 replies · 188 views
I'm new here
TattooMom · 4 replies · 487 views