Recent Posts

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/14/19 3:20 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
Topic: RE: MEDICARE COVERAGE FOR REVISION FROM GASTRIC SLEEVE TO RNY.

I am doing great with the RNY and the GERD is completely gone! I've lost almost 30lb since surgery day, which seems like really good progress.

My sleeve was very stretched before the revision and I didn't have to be as careful about chewing my food, so I've had a hard time adjusting to eating very slowly. I've had a lot of times already when I got food stuck and had to make myself gag it up, which is pretty miserable. Hopefully I'll learn eventually.

Overall I think I'm doing pretty well and I'm very glad I had the revision!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Wolvesfan1
on 9/14/19 4:34 am

I just noticed that you were converted from the sleeve to RNY. How are you doing with the RNY? Also, have you had any problems or a lot of pain? Is the GERD gone?

You don't know how much it means to hear from someone that's already gone through it.

Thanks!

Wolvesfan1
on 9/14/19 4:30 am

Thank you for the response! I've decided to go with traditional Medicare. My surgeon is at the Mayo Clinic. The Clinic gave me the procedure and DX codes. I called Medicare and they told me the same thing no PA is required and if the doctor submits with documentation of medical necessity there shouldn't be any problem. They even told me what my out of pocket would be.

My surgeon's letter to my current insurance states that due to the spontaneous reflux, I am not getting the nutrients to sustain life. So, I think I'm covered there.

I think I'm just very nervous about having the procedure and I'm a worrier about money too. Bad habits I know. I'm waiting on the surgeon to schedule my date. I'm hoping to have it early December. My surgeon is out of the office until late fall.

Thank you!

on 9/11/19 7:53 am
RNY on 08/05/19

There are lots of different medicare plans and we can't tell you if the procedure is covered under your specific setup. Call them (1-800-MEDICARE) and they can help talk about your particular coverage.

Several people on OH have had revisions for GERD while at a normal BMI and it hasn't been a problem to maintain their current weight.

Wolvesfan1
on 9/10/19 6:19 pm
Topic: MEDICARE COVERAGE FOR REVISION FROM GASTRIC SLEEVE TO RNY.

My surgeon has told that due to spontaneous gerd I need to be revised to an RNY. My BMI is normal and really do not want to lose any more. Has anyone had problems like this and Medicare pay for the revision?

(deactivated member)
on 9/8/19 4:55 am
Topic: RE: Reluctant Reviser with VSG>RNY Questions

My lifelong severe GERD ( due to a birth defect of a huge hiatal hernia ) was totally resolved after RNY .

Laura in Texas
on 9/7/19 5:40 am
Topic: RE: Revison round TWO??

I am sure another revision is possible, but please do more research before considering it. Multiple surgeries can be very dangerous for our bodies. You could end up with lifelong issues and that could lead to an early death (this happened to a friend of mine after she revised her RNY to DS).

My hunger came back with a vengeance, too (I am up 25 pounds). I attribute it to poor food choices and not taking care of my mental health. I see a counselor and am going to join WW.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

on 9/6/19 7:52 am
RNY on 08/05/19
Topic: RE: Revison round TWO??

First step is to check in with your surgeon to take a look at the state of your pouch. If there's nothing physically wrong with it, you're likely much better working with behavior modification to lose the weight you've regained; many people here on OH have lost weight many years after surgery by going back to basics (weighing, measuring, and logging food).

You may also want to work with a therapist to help you address your eating patterns and the emotional side of weight loss.

tabrielle10
on 9/5/19 3:47 pm
Topic: RE: Desperate and asking for help

where is this dr located?

E_Saenz
on 9/4/19 9:37 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15
Topic: RE: Revision weight loss???
  1. I have bcbs of Illinois and was denied 2 times they didn't consider GERD as a medical criteria so i now am going back for a second sleep study and going to try again with sleep apnea, high blood pressure and knee and feet issues that have been limiting me due to the weight. Hopefully they will approve me tis time. Also I'm going back to my surgeon and getting back on track.

Elia Maria Saenz

Most Active