Recent Posts

califsleevin
on 9/18/19 6:25 pm - CA
Topic: RE: Reluctant Reviser with VSG>RNY Questions

Talk seriously with the surgeon about the prospect of shorter limbs to minimize weight loss. When I was looking into this a few years ago (cancer scare), one of the things that I noted from others who have undergone these surgeries for non WLS purposes was the relatively common incidence of bile reflux. Discussing this with the surgeon, he stated that he hasn't had any problems with it if he keeps the limb a minimum of (IIRC) 80cm (though it may have been 60). That seems to be a critical factor in keeping things balanced, even if it might result in you going a bit overboard on weight loss initially.

Diet wise, high fat, low carb is the way to go to maximize caloric density and minimize weight loss (Paleo or Keto in the popular diet world.) Longer term, diet with the RNY will not be significantly different than with the VSG, though some may be more inclined than others toward dumping and/or reactive hypoglycemia and need to make appropriate adjustments.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

beelzebubbles
on 9/18/19 8:33 am - Lansdowne, PA
Topic: RE: Revison after gastric bypass due to weight gaine

Thanks for the response. You have given me a lot to consider. The doctor I'm seeing is recommending SADI which is a simpler surgery.

I have joined NOOM which helps with psychological issues around eating to some extent and Jenny Craig till I get my head on straight about eating

With any luck I ll lose the weight myself and the likelihood that I get turned down for insurance is great

I'm just throwing everything I have at this problem

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/18/19 6:36 am

You can ask that question on the DS forum. But as it was mentioned, RNY to DS is a very complicated surgery and there are only a very few doctors who can do it and do it properly.

There should be a bunch of people on the DS forum *****vised from RNY to DS and are happy about that. Check it out.

BTW- I also have issues with some foods if they are easily available in the house. One of the major is bread, even though I know I should stay away from it, if not because I don't want to gain weight, but because I have intolerances to gluten and grains in general.

Having a partner who likes and can eat bread, could be challenging if he did not care about me and my health. But because he does, we don't have fresh bread at home very often, but we do have sometimes and then we keep it out of my sight. We also have frozen bread that he or I can bake for him in less than 10 min.

Good luck. Remember - even 1 lbs a month is a loss not a gain. Small steps.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/18/19 6:25 am

I am replying to you late. Over a month after you comments.

But - if you go back to the top of the post - you would see that the first 2 posters are asking the OP if there is anything wrong with the original surgery. Because that would definitely explain needs for a revision.

Another issue - like metabolic change, hormonal change - may also benefit from a revision.

For someone who had RNY - revision to DS is s very complicated and can be extremely risky. Because of that, only a very few doctors in US are really good to perform it. We have heard horror stories about people revised from an RNY to DS, by a well meaning surgeon, but one that had no experience nor the real skills to do it correctly.

Even DS - unless person follow proper diet post op - regain is possible, as well as severe nutritional deficiencies that can lead to severe health issues, including disability or death.

Someone with DS needs to be sure they have the know how and financial means to make sure they can follow proper life after DS. High proteins, good fats, and limited carbs. And a very detailed lab work at least once a year. Lab work that some doctors or insurance do not want to order - pay for. Even with RNY - unless a person can make sure they can afford life post op - the long term life and maintenance post op can be challenging.

As for exercise - it is not necessary to lose or maintain. Activity is recommended, but that can help quality of life.

Even if I would want to - I can't do a lot of physically strenuous work or exercise. At my age, beside issues with my back, spine, I also have arthritis, and I can and should stay active, but not physically strenuous. Walking, hiking ,swimming (unfortunately I don't tolerate chlorine in most commercial pools), yoga, etc. - these activities I can do without too much problems. But weight lifting, any heavy lifting, pushing, oren yard work is not recommended for me considering condition of my back and joints.

I still can lose and maintain weight loss by eating properly for me. After so many years post op, asking as I don't eat too many carbs, I still have a very good restriction. Some days so good - that I still need to make sure I supplement my food with an extra proteins. (Eggs, meat, or - even a protein shake)

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/19 5:05 am
Topic: RE: Desperate and asking for help

LA I think ... but there are constant low cost flights there .

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/17/19 7:57 am
RNY on 08/05/19
Topic: RE: RNY revision in Tulsa, Ok

Is there anything mechanically wrong with your pouch? Or have you fallen off track with your eating and exercise habits?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/16/19 7:49 am, edited 9/16/19 11:08 pm
Topic: RE: RNY revision in Tulsa, Ok

I am not sure what they can revise you to, considering you have GERD.

Do you have hiatal hernia? Do they know why do you have such a horrible GERD?

Acid production and GERD can be due to mechanical issues - like hernia, failed valve, or too much abdominal fat pushing the acid and contents from the pouch up to your esophagus.

Or it can be due to allergies to foods, drinks or medication.

I had RNY and a few years ago I started dealing wit a severe GERD. EGD testing showed I already have a small amount of Barrett Esophagus (precancerous cells in my esophagus). In my case - I don't have mechanical issues - no hernia, valve is working fine, no abdominal fat. In my case - it is due to food allergies, plus allergies to some fillers used in medication.

I was tested and diagnosed with foods allergies and sensitivities: dairy, soy, etc. On top of that I have intolerances to gluten, and grains in general. Plus alcohol.

Because I also have IBS due to SIBO - most likely any high FODMAP foods can cause inflammation and excesive acid production - irritation to my small intestine, pouch and Esophagus. Last few years I have been on Rx Dexilant. That is the only PPI that helps with the GERD. This whole year I have been working to limit how much Dexilant I take. I am down to 30 mg on most days. Some days, weeks, I still need 60 mg.

I also take occasional zantac, and Tums.

Finding out what is causing GERD should be a primery goal for you and your doctors. If it is a mechanical failure - fix it if possible.

Unfortunately people get RNY to fix their GERD. I don't know what anything else can be done. S

Some people discovered that their GERD was in reality not acid reflux, but liver bile backing up all the way to pouch and Esophagus. People like that could benefit in making the bypassed part of intestine longer, crating almost like distal RNY.

beelzebubbles
on 9/16/19 3:46 am - Lansdowne, PA
Topic: RE: Revision to Distal from Proximal bypass

Hi Jen,

I am in your position. My surgeon has suggested SIPS/SADI. This is a kind of modified DS.

I'm afraid there aren't that many people out there who have news for us from the revision front.

I have been to several surgeons, all with their own take on what to do.

I have been reading as much information as I can.

I personally am trying to lose as much weight as I can by December, which is when my projected surgery is.

I don't know if my insurance will cover it.

I am using Noom and Jenny Craig to try to lose weight.

I wish you luck!

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/19 7:05 pm
Topic: RE: Revison round TWO??

I have to agree with Laura . The most important thing is to maintain your health .

And you don't need to be a skinny-Minnie to look beautiful or to find lasting love and have a great sex life ... most of the posters on here are happily coupled up you'll notice :)

You didn't mention your starting or current BMI or age or any health issues you have .

If you're basically just frustrated with your body's reluctance to lose - and are pretty healthy you could consider revising to a distal RNY . It's like a DS lite if you will ... but much easier to revise and stay healthy with in the long term due to not as much vitamin malabsorption .

Allenle
on 9/15/19 9:48 am
Topic: RNY revision in Tulsa, Ok

Does anyone know of a surgeon that does revisions in Tulsa?

I have regained 60 pounds of the weight I lost from my gastric bypass 10 years ago, and I feel it.

The reflux and heartburn is horrible - I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack. My PCP has started me on medication for reflux after my visit to ER and subsequent admission to hospital for chest pain and etc. Stress test ruled out cardiac issues.

I'm having severe back and bilateral knee pain again, which I hadn't had for 6-7 years following my weightloss surgery and weight loss. I'm scheduled for a MRI of knee this week. Before the first weightloss surgery my orthopedic surgeon recommended bilateral knee replacements or weight loss. I opted for weightloss surgery because I was only 39 yrs old at the time, and a knee replacement at that age would have only meant others down the line.

I'm only 49 years old and still feel I'm still too young for knee replacement, in the event the MRI shows anything. I need to lose the 60 pounds I've regained....HELP!

Most Active