Recent Posts

hollyround2
on 10/9/19 5:00 pm - Gastonia, NC
Topic: RE: RNY to DS recent changes?

I'm not understanding the 'difficulty' in a good Bariatric Surgeon doing RNY to DS. Do you know what the big difficulty is in doing the surgery? Is the aftercare and the patient? I see many posts on here about this subject and 'only a very few Surgeons able to do the RNY to DS', but as a medical professional myself, a surgery is a surgery is a surgery. If you cannot do ALL of them, I personally don't want you cutting me at all. I am being worked up now for such a surgery and my Surgeon does DS on people with BMI's of 70-80-90 which are the Super morbidly obese. He should be able to do the RNY to DS without any problems.I'm just trying to figure out if I should be seeking another surgeon or not.

hollyround2
on 10/9/19 4:59 pm - Gastonia, NC
Topic: RE: RNY to DS recent changes?

I'm not understanding the 'difficulty' in a good Bariatric Surgeon doing RNY to DS. Do you know what the big difficulty is in doing the surgery? Is the aftercare and the patient? I see many posts on here about this subject and 'only a very few Surgeons able to do the RNY to DS', but as a medical professional myself, a surgery is a surgery is a surgery. If you cannot do ALL of them, I personally don't want you cutting me at all. I am being worked up now for such a surgery and my Surgeon does DS on people with BMI's of 70-80-90 which are the Super morbidly obese. He should be able to do the RNY to DS without any problems.I'm just trying to figure out if I should be seeking another surgeon or not.

Carla B.
on 10/8/19 3:12 pm - Round Rock, TX
Topic: RE: Revision Scheduled in One week

Never give up. You have a dream, you have a goal, GO FOR IT.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/7/19 6:54 pm
Topic: RE: Scared...vsg to rny

I had RNY in 2008.

I'm in maintenance, currently under my personal weight goal.

I have some issues, but I am not sure if they are new or from before RNY, just my WLS made it worse.

Maintaining is difficult.i know how to gain, and how to lose. But maintenance requires my constant attention. IMO - it's harder than losing.

I had a couple of regains, each one app 25-30 lbs above my personal goal. But most of the time, after I reached my goal, my weight has been within 10 lbs from my goal. One or the other way.

There are bunch of people on OH who do well with their weight.

In real life - beside People I met on OH, I only know 2-3 people who are doing as well as I maintaining. Most people I know IRL (meeting them locally) have regained significant amount of weight.

My first 2 years was a blast. I was losing and in my second year, I had to work really hard not to lose more weight.

Year 3rd as and 4th I had a very rude awakening, because I started gaining and it took me a while to realized why what I was doing no longer works for my body. I had a thought year 4 that when I had to restrict foods and calories to stop gaining. But eventually I figured things out, change my diet to Keto-Paleo type diet, and not only I stopped gain, but I also was able to lose some if the pounds I re-gained.

It is up to you and your husband. It takes time and dedication. And very hard work. People who have revision typically lose weight slower than "virgin," surgery. You will need a lot of patience, not giving up, even if you see a small increase ok no weight, from one day to another even in the first year post op.

IMO - being consistent, one day at a time, or even ok be meal at a time.

I no longer wait until "Monday" or "next month", or "after a holiday" to get back in track when we stray.

Good luck.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/7/19 1:31 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I was out for 2.5 weeks after my VSG-RNY revision. Even though I have a desk job, I was completely exhausted for the first month and had to take a lot of naps.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Kat
on 10/7/19 9:36 am - Belton, MO

Thank you so much for your posting...I hv thought I have been all alone...Had my RNY May 2005...lost down to the point I cried because hated my extra skin..but hv had and still do hurt when I eat...I too chew thoroughly..have frothing and extreme pain up high after eating and usually vomit whatever I have eaten back up... Never drink and eat...but Heard horror stories right after having surgery from girls being restretched & waking up during the office process...so was scared...here i am about 220 again...and resigned to the fact I guess I am supposed to be over weight....tytyty for showing that being brave & trying again might be worth the attempt...I will follow your surgery.

Amy R.
on 10/6/19 8:51 pm, edited 10/6/19 1:54 pm
Topic: RE: Revision from Gastric bypass to BPD OR BPD/DS

Have you gotten any information since you first raised this topic about four months ago?

I ask because I've not got a clue where to start and it might help me or others if we knew what you'd learned so far.

edited because I hit post too soon: The Bilopancreatic Diversion and the Duodenal Switch are not the same surgery as far as I know. If you haven't yet posted in the DS Forum yet you might get more feedback over there.

Good luck, I hope everything goes smoothly. These revisions are some serious operations. So it's good that you're checking things out until you understand exactly what your surgeons have to offer you.

Carla B.
on 10/6/19 2:18 pm, edited 10/6/19 7:19 am - Round Rock, TX

Hi: My surgery was very long. He ran into issues he didn't expect. My diaphram had a huge hole in it...which really shocked him...the only thing holding my insides in place was a piece of mesh from hernia repair and a lot of adhesions. He had to remove a LARGE piece of mesh, plus repair the hole in my diaphragm. He said it was as big as a fist. I have LOTS of adhesions he had to remove as they were restricting my intestines, bladder and other organs. I wound up losing two large portions of intestine, along with 2/3 of my stomach because of ulcers and damage caused by the adhesions. What was going to be a 30-45 minute procedure turned into well over 3 hours. Fortunately, I bounced back quickly and was released from the hospital in a little over 24 hours.

Recovery has been slow and painful. I injured my foot about 2 weeks out and have been in a "boot" up to my knee ever since, on my right foot. I still have not been released to exercise. I am getting in about 600 calories a day and struggling to get in enough protein. I am following precise written instructions from my doctor. I have a daily menu to follow...and am not allowed to deviate from it. (I tried and it was painful) I have about a week and a half left of "pureed" foods, then I can move on to the next menu. That one will also last about 2 weeks and then I will finally be able to incorporate regular food into my diet slowly. Right now "Gerber" is getting most my grocery money. LOL

On an upnote: I am down almost 25 pounds since surgery on Sept. 5.

White Dove
on 10/6/19 10:59 am - Warren, OH

I had RNY on a Tuesday and went back to a desk job the following Monday, but felt well enough that I have gone back sooner. Some people found that a revision takes more time to heal than the first surgery.

I remember stocking up on lots of cans for broth and only using one can the first week, because I could only handle a tablespoon at a time.

It sounds like this is the best thing for you and I am looking forward to hearing how things go for you.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

MarinaGirl
on 10/6/19 7:45 am
Topic: RE: Desperate and asking for help

Dr Ara Keshishian is in Pasadena, CA which is a suburb of Los Angeles. He did surgery on me last summer to address GERD issues post-gastric bypass. I flew in from out-of-state for surgery and am so glad I did. He's amazing!

Most Active