Topic: RE: VSG to RNY weight loss / vitamins

Here's what my diet progression was:

• Clear liquids (2 days)
  • Protein-based liquids (4 days)
  • Full liquids (1 week)
  • Puree (1 week)
  • Soft (1 week)
  • Regular foods

I wasn't ready to progress nearly that fast, though. I ate a lot of Greek yogurt and ricotta bake during the puree and soft stages! Also lots of Fairlife milk to hit my protein goals, since I can't stand milky shakes.

There are a few things that don't really agree with me at 3 months out. Jerky gets stuck so I have to steer clear completely. I also have some trouble with beef if it's not very moist or have some sort of sauce; ground beef gives me trouble in particular. But for the most part, I don't have too many problems.

Good luck on your revision!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Wolvesfan1
on 11/14/19 11:21 am
Topic: RE: VSG to RNY weight loss / vitamins

I had my sleeve almost 13 years ago. I lost over 100 pounds. I have kept the weight off, but I too have had a hernia and GERD. I didn't want to do the revision to RNY so my doctor repaired my hernia in hopes that it would eliminate the GERD. Needless to say, I'm still having GERD and I have no choice, but to have the RNY. I'm scheduled for surgery on 12/17/19.

Since it's been so many years since I had the sleeve I can't remember how long I was on clear, soft, etc. I do meet with the nutrition in a couple of weeks, but was wondering if you could give me some idea what your eating habits were the first few weeks post surgery. Are there any food that totally disagree with you now?

I'm glad to hear that you have done well. I'm hoping for the same results.

Thanks in advance!

rocky513
on 11/13/19 3:26 pm, edited 11/13/19 7:27 am - WI
Topic: RE: Revision Question Roux En Y

There is no way to actually redo your original RNY surgery because there is only so much stomach that can be used to create a pouch, and the stomach has already been resected. They can convert to a distal RNY (longer channel) from proximal RNY which is a terrrible option because of the side effects of severe vitamin malabsorption, chronic diarrhea, and foul smelling stool and gas. You can revise to DS, but it is a very complicated surgery with very few qualified surgeons that can perform it in the U.S.

Pouches do not stretch out. They are created from a section of stomach that has very little pliability. Stomas are what stretch, usually from overeating and drinking with meals. What happens is the stoma stretches to about the same size as the pouch and food flows freely into the intestines, which means you feel no restriction and you never feel satisfied. They can try to stitch the stoma to make it smaller, but those procedures usually fail.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/12/19 12:19 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On November 11, 2019 at 1:17 AM Pacific Time, Leiteb wrote:

The previous comment is not true. I just had a consult and they can do a formal surgical revision. Risks are anywhere from 18-40% for a complication, so it is risky, but can be done if anatomy is favorable. They can do a Tore surgery, which is a tissue stitch surgery which narrows the stoma if that is what is stretched. This may only last a few years, as it is not standardized yet and has room for improvement. There is also the option to do a band over bypass which narrows the stoma and pouch size. This is a pushed a lot because it is a familiar procedure to many in the bariatric community and is lower risk. You can also look into pouch reset diets, seek counseling or other dietary aids. Whatever you do, make sure you are dealing with certainty of your options as discussed with your surgeon, before weighing things too much.

"Band over bypass" is a terrible option. Bands have a miserable track record in terms of scarring, adhesions, and other complications. Many surgeons will not place lap-bands at all because of the risks.

The "pouch reset" is complete bunk. Going back to liquids will not shrink a pouch that has stretched; it's just another fad diet. You're much better off going back to basics and eating a limited amount of lean, dense protein.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

John W.
on 11/12/19 12:16 pm - Near Topeka, KS
Topic: RE: Gastric Bypass Revision

Carla B. Do you have any narrative on how things went in September and beyond? Researching similar option. Thanks.

Start Wt: 347 --  Lowest: 191 --  Current: 216.2  --  Goal: 197

2 MINUTE VIDEO JOURNEY    ENJOY HERE ----> http://tinyurl.com/Jonoba07

New in 2010
Regain of 20 pounds has thrown me for a loop - will not let this get the best of me - what am I doing about it?
www.obesityhelp.com/group/Drop10410

Leiteb
on 11/10/19 5:17 pm

The previous comment is not true. I just had a consult and they can do a formal surgical revision. Risks are anywhere from 18-40% for a complication, so it is risky, but can be done if anatomy is favorable. They can do a Tore surgery, which is a tissue stitch surgery which narrows the stoma if that is what is stretched. This may only last a few years, as it is not standardized yet and has room for improvement. There is also the option to do a band over bypass which narrows the stoma and pouch size. This is a pushed a lot because it is a familiar procedure to many in the bariatric community and is lower risk. You can also look into pouch reset diets, seek counseling or other dietary aids. Whatever you do, make sure you are dealing with certainty of your options as discussed with your surgeon, before weighing things too much.

hollykim
on 11/8/19 10:14 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 3, 2019 at 12:06 AM Pacific Time, Jessica M. wrote:

I had gastric bypass (Roux en Y) in 2007. I want to have a revision but not sure what options are available. Can they redo my original gastric bypass?

no, they can tighten the stoma if it is stretched but that is about all.

The ppl we have seen here who have that does usually lose about 20# max and then loss stops.

Why are you wanting a revision?

often going back to basics helps restart weight loss along with not drinking and eating, high protein low carb diet and logging your intake every day helps.

missdebra
on 11/6/19 9:04 pm - NV
Topic: RE: Revision - From Gastric Bypass

Very little info gets out about Sleeve Gastrectomy side effects like bad GERD and need to convert to RNY. Also look up Wernickes syndrome (Thiamine, B1, deficiency and brain function problems...sometimes not treatable even with vitamin supplements...possible irreversible brain damage.) and Sleeve Gastrectomy. I hope you are doing well now. I had to have my Gastric Bypass reversed in 2011 after 3 years, constan****ery diarrhea (chronic dumping) and vitamin deficiency because I was not digesting food, just shooting it out my back end. When I saw a Gastroenterologist, she said I was the 3rd person she saw with my problems. After the reversal I feel better, but the diarrhea stayed. I now will take Welchol and Atropine/Diphenxoylate for the rest of my life and still struggle with explosive diarrhea. I gained all of my weight back right after the Gastric Bypass Reversal and got a Lap Band a year later. I have lost 100 lbs. with the band and am happy with it. I am not a candidate for Sleeve Gastrectomy because of the scars on my stomach and would never consider it given my past. (Also, if a person is having a 3rd type of weight loss surgery...something is very wrong.) But I do know I need some surgical weight control help or I go back to my old ways and obesity.

velouria
on 11/6/19 11:12 am
Topic: RE: Revision VSG to DS

I did!

I originally lost about 70 lbs from VSG in 2011 and gained about half of it back. I had my VSG revised to a DS in August. (with Dr Ungson in Mexicali) Weight loss is slow but steady. I am very pleased and glad I did it!

Jessica M.
on 11/2/19 5:06 pm - Midlothian, TX
Topic: Revision Question Roux En Y

I had gastric bypass (Roux en Y) in 2007. I want to have a revision but not sure what options are available. Can they redo my original gastric bypass?

"Winning at a Losing Game"

Most Active