Recent Posts

Carla B.
on 11/26/19 10:03 am, edited 11/26/19 2:04 am - Round Rock, TX
Topic: RE: Revision Scheduled in One week

Mine didn't start out as a "revision" all the way to begin with...it being a revision was a bonus. LOL I had lots of ulcers...in my stomach pouch and my intestines. As well as adhesions, and a couple of hernias. My stomach pouch had elongated...and had to be reconstructed. My stoma was perfect but with the LONG stomach instead of round, my food was passing straight through. I had ulcers around the stoma, and at the top of the pouch as well. I also had several areas that were ulcerated throughout my intestines. All in all I lost about 12 inches of intestine, as well as had to have adhesions removed, hernias fixed and most of my pouch cut out due to ulcers. So my pouch that had stretched to about the size of a baseball, is now the size of an egg, and I'm able to eat some solid food but not much. Everyday is an adventure. I feel truly blessed to have found my surgeon and gotten the surgery so I'm not now nor will I ever complain. I'm even thankful when I throw up. LOL My body is absorbing nutrients better now and a lot of my prior health problems have resolved. I can't be thankful enough for this second chance.

Alba
on 11/26/19 9:18 am - Renton, WA

So sorry the surgery snd recovery were hard. Were there any complications other than it being a revision? Wish you the best luck going forward.

Your case sounds a lot like mine. I have to convert from Sleeve to RuNY, then get surgery on both my foot and knee!

Alba Tross
         "Fake it til you make it."

Carla B.
on 11/26/19 6:42 am - Round Rock, TX

Surgery was long, and recovery has been rough. It wasn't a typical revision. The doctor thought it would take 45 minutes but I was in surgery over 3 hours. I had A LOT of issues, so my recovery has been harder. I'm down 30 pounds since surgery, I would be down more but I had two more surgeries...but these were on my foot and I've been immobile. I am now starting to get around so weight should come off better. :-) Thanks for asking.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/25/19 7:21 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
Topic: RE: Revision - From Gastric Bypass

There are a couple of reasons for it, according to my doctor.

One is that you may start at a lower weight at the time of the revision, and patients with lower BMI lose more slowly than people who weigh more.

Another reason is that the big metabolic changes that happen to your body after surgery (which I guess scientists don't understand 100%) have already happened, so you don't get that "honeymoon" that most folks go through after their first surgery. With VSG to RNY, at least you get the bonus of malabsorption from the second surgery.

Third, many people are already starting with a mindset of "diet fatigue" from the first time they've lost weight after surgery. It takes a lot of mental energy to be vigilant and get to your goal weight, and not everybody is able to do that again because it's so darn exhausting.

That said, it's possible to still work your tool and lose a lot of weight. I'm roughly four months out from my revision and down by 50lb. 5 to go until my initial goal, 25 if I want to get down to the lowest weight I was after VSG (and I'm not sure I do).

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Alba
on 11/25/19 6:33 pm - Renton, WA

How did it go? How are you doing now?

Alba Tross

Alba
on 11/25/19 6:07 pm - Renton, WA
Topic: RE: VSG to RNY weight loss / vitamins

I am in the same boat as you. Revision scheduled for early January. Don't want to do it. But have no choice. Please post about how your surgery and surgery recovery go.

Alba Tross

Alba
on 11/25/19 6:06 pm - Renton, WA
Topic: RE: VSG to RNY weight loss / vitamins

I am in the same boat as you. Revision scheduled for early January. Don't want to do it. But have no choice. Please post about how your surgery and surgery recovery go.

Alba Tross

Alba
on 11/25/19 6:02 pm - Renton, WA

I'm confused. How can you have GERD after a RuNY? Isn't the stomach (where acid is produced) "offline?"

Alba Tross

Alba
on 11/25/19 6:01 pm - Renton, WA

I'm confused. How can you have GERD after a RuNY? Isn't the stomach (where acid is produced) "offline?"

Alba Tross

Alba
on 11/25/19 5:59 pm - Renton, WA

Curious how your recovery went - from the revision surgery. Thanks for posting.

Alba Tross

Most Active