Recent Posts

KayLavonne
on 1/13/20 12:06 pm
Topic: RE: Food log and revision questions *plz be nice*

I definitely understand what you are going through, and I am also getting a revision. However (despite what negative comments people on here have), I am going to Mexico to get my revision for 2 reasons.... First is that my insurance did not cover it. They agreed that it was medically necessary, but my insurance has all bariatric procedures and any treatment related to a bariatric procedure as an exclusion. I even took the appeal to the state, and the state sided with my insurance. The second reason is because of all the hoops you have to jump to get approval in the states. I have significant GERD and have the medical documents to back up why a revision is necessary, and still not approved. I can't continue to live with this GERD! I wrote an excellent appeal so I could share it with you just in case it is necessary (I hope you do not have to appeal). I really hope you are approved and you don't have to wait an outrageous amount of time before you are approved... I know someone who also got surgery in Mexico because her company wanted her to do a 9 month medical supervised eating program and she did not want to wait. Also, her deductible and coinsurance was about the same as having it in Mexico.

I also understand you about missing the tool. I miss my tool too! I no longer feel full like i did once before, and now I can eat just as much as everyone else. I miss having that satisfied feeling after only a few ounces of food. If you are approved, just remember that you can always stretch out your stoma. Also, take joy and satisfaction in having that feeling again. But I know you can do it, and I know you will be successful!!! Please continue to post and I would love to know how your journey is and how things turns out.

KayLavonne
on 1/13/20 9:57 am
Topic: RE: Have you had a revision? If so please discuss with me!

I did have heartburn, but before the sleeve, I was not diagnosed with having GERD. I remember being sleeved, and I took off a month. However, I felt like I could have went right back to work! I did not have a lot of pain. However, since this is a different surgery completely, I am hoping to heal similarly. Thanks for your input and advice! It is much appreciated.

Tahmendoza
on 1/12/20 1:21 pm
RNY on 08/20/18
Topic: RE: Have you had a revision? If so please discuss with me!

Hi. I was actually converted from VSG to RNY within 2 months of each other. I had way too many complications from VSG. Gastric volvolus. Twisting of stomach, which caused severe GERD... It was awful. I was terrified of RNY. It was the best thing that could have happened to me. The pain was not as bad for me.

elhernandez_pepper2

on 1/12/20 7:21 am
Topic: RE: Advice please... I'm a statistic! :(

I was told the peanuts were too heavy for my pouch. I used to live on peanuts for protein for 5 years post OP. I am scared to even think about eating then with my overstich.-ever. Please advise.

elhernandez_pepper2

on 1/12/20 7:15 am

Hi! My name is Lisa,and I'd love to be a diet buddy! From the knowledge you have about weightloss and the drive, you will be on your way. The first few weeks is the hardest. Go back to liquids....I have just had the overstich 1/9/20. I am starting at 258lbs. Liquids 45 days or more. It will be tough as I am impatient and cannot do too much exercise because of my back,but I am excited! Please include me in your support troop. I know how weight gain feels after going from 317 to 147lbs..lasted 6 years....very depressing. I just decided to give it another shot. I am getting older 50 on the 16th of Jan. I want to be healthy.

Please count me in!

Bethc13
on 1/11/20 1:48 pm
RNY on 06/04/14
Topic: RE: Had my Apollo Overstitch revision.....

Hello, I am scheduled for the overstitch procedure next month. I called and asked what the recovery lifting restrictions were as I work in a day-care. They had to check and would call me back. They left a message saying no heavy lifting for 4 weeks. Do you remember what the weight limit was that you were allowed to lift while healing? Also, how much weight have you lost since September?

Thank You ?

LauraMJ1987
on 1/11/20 1:25 pm
Topic: RE: Post Revision Feedback...

What testing did you have that showed your stomach was dilated and the opening was too large?

Cherylnelson
on 1/11/20 6:48 am
Revision on 05/05/20
On December 19, 2019 at 5:14 PM Pacific Time, starfishmom wrote:

You are not alone. So I'm 48 and i had VSG in 2012. My highest weight was 335, 5'2". I did great initially, and about 1.5 yrs. later I was down to 220. Also never made it to onderland, but I was happy with how I felt and looked. The weight has creeped up gradually to 270 now, and you sound so much like me. I often find myself taking care of everyone else first, then me. A difficult habit to break, as I sit here typing this, I've put 2 kiddos through college with my husband, taking care of my mother with her ailing health as she lives with us now after my father and nephews death in 2013, and been trying to slowly get back to taking care of me, addressing depression, anxiety, grief, etc. About 3 months ago, I began having crazy symptoms of tightness in esophagus, throat, spasms, etc. This week, I finally found out I have a hiatal hernia and polyp. I have an appointment on Monday with my original surgeon, which I'm dreading a little, because I'm so disappointed in myself and the weight gain. I'm also embarrassed that I dropped all those great habits I had at the beginning a little at a time and allowed things to get this way, but there's nothing we can do about what we did wrong, I've got to get back in the game. Depression and anxiety doesn't help to make you feel overwhelmed and just give up. I'm not trying to make excuses for myself, but what's done is done. I will face the music on Monday. I don't know what the plan will be for me, but know that you are not alone.

Hi Lamarie, I responded to your message online but I don't see it. I'm going to give you my email address. I'm on my way to the doctors but I'd like to tell you about my journey. I had gastric bypass in 2015. I have Gerd very bad I have irritable bowel with diarrhea/constipation. I think my stomach has stretched I will see the doctor on February 14, 2020. How embarrassing is this to go back after his hard work and I stretched out my stomach. I find it hard to eat and not drink anything since my esophagus has spasms and processing food going down. I'm hoping for the revision surgery where they put stitches in to make your stamina smaller however I am on Seroquel which is a mood stabilizer. Sarah quell makes you extremely hungry especially in the middle of the night actually makes you ravenous for food. I don't know what I'm going to do after the surgery and hope that this does not take me back into where I am today. I am from Pennsylvania and here is my email. I'm wondering how you're doing and what you have done I'm wondering about people that have revision surgeries and how they've turned out with also being on medication that slows down your metabolism and makes you hungry. This is not an easy journey for any of us and it never was Quickfix just a tool. There is my email: [email protected]. I hope to hear from you and see how you're doing any advice would be appreciated thank you

LauraMJ1987
on 1/10/20 7:43 am

Im sorry if my msg was misleading, I am most definitely going to be honest on my log. I think my post was misunderstood. Thank you for your response.

rocky513
on 1/10/20 4:46 am - WI

Don't lie to the doctors!!!! Write down what you actually eat and measure your food so it is accurate. Your doctors can not make the proper assessment of what you need without your complete honesty.

Many insurance policies have a once in a life time clause for weight loss surgery. The only way those policies will cover a revision is if you have some sort of mechanical malfunction of your original surgery. Have you had testing to see if everything is still functioning as it should? If everything is still working then you CAN lose the weight without revision. Many on this site have lost significant regain. If there is a malfunction then you will likely be approved for a revision. I don't know which surgery you had but if you had VSG, and you have developed GERD, they will revise you to RNY to cure the GERD.

If you had RNY there are very few revisions that are successful. They can tighten the stoma if you have stretched it out but if you want that to work you must then become a strict rule follower for the rest of your life.

If you are eating a lot of carbs, that will make you feel extreme hunger. After WLS you can eat a boatload of carby food an never feel full. I could eat an entire box of crackers and go back for more. Eating dense protein(chicken breast, or steak) will tell you if you still have restriction. Eating like a rabbit is not how we are supposed to eat after WLS. We are supposed to eat dense protein first then veggies if there is room, and take our vitamins. No bread, rice, pasta, cereal, sugar, etc.

If you are drinking with your meals....STOP! Drinking with meals will allow you to eat way more food than you need and can effect your restriction. It can also contribute to stretching your stoma by forcing food that was not adequately chewed through that small hole. If you get a revision where they tighten your stoma, this rule will be important to follow for the rest of your life.

The reality is...you might not be a good candidate for revision. Only your doctor can decide that based on your honesty. Either way, you can still be committed to eating right and exercising and get great results.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Most Active