Recent Posts

JJT
on 2/12/20 5:43 pm
Revision on 09/14/17
Topic: RE: Revision to Distal from Proximal bypass

I revised to a distal RNY. As of today start to now this includes presurgery dieting the surgery and skin removal surgery I have lost 390 pounds. I eat fine, take more vitamins which is part of it and I exercise. This revision can work and does work if you work it.

JJT
on 2/12/20 5:32 pm
Revision on 09/14/17
Topic: RE: Time for a revision... but what?

I had a RNY and in 2017 my surgeon revised me to a long limb distal RNY. It worked for me but I worked it harder than anything ever. I changed how I ate and exercise before surgery. I carried it forward. I still watch my food and exercise four to five days a week. Revisions have a big fail rate if your surgeon doesn't do more than tighten up stuff and you don't take the opportunity and run hard with it. If you go DS or Distal you do take more vitamins but it's just part of your day be it vitamin program or the other.

jmeyers74
on 2/12/20 9:18 am
VSG on 03/05/14
Topic: RE: Revision surgery in Mexico

I JUST scheduled for a sleeve-to-RNY for May 15th with Dr Carlos Altamirano. Besides the fact that he is personal friends with a local physician here in Tulsa, he did a video call consultation with me within 24 hours of my reaching out. His aftercare is outlined extremely well for post-op with your physician at home, and he is the opitome of health and wellness, himself. He is very engaging and encouraging. Choosing a surgeon is such a personal thing, so knowing that he is held in very high regard by OTHER surgeons that I know holds a lot of clout with me! ?? Good luck, no matter who you choose! Btw, Dr Altamirano has a big presence on Facebook if you'd like to check him out!

Everchanging84
on 2/11/20 9:16 pm
Revision on 02/12/20
Topic: RE: Sleeve to Rny

Hey my surgery is scheduled for 9 am today, My surgeon said that I should be in the hospital for one day. Counting down the hours until I leave for the hospital.

starfishmom
on 2/11/20 4:52 pm
VSG on 03/10/12
Topic: RE: Have you had a revision? If so please discuss with me!

I would love an update. My paperwork to insurance went in yesterday for revision from vsg to rny due to GERD. Keeping fingers crossed. I've regained 40lbs, but still at 49 BMI now.

Post updates if you are able to for those of us following behind :)

starfishmom
on 2/11/20 4:39 pm
VSG on 03/10/12
Topic: RE: Sleeve to Rny

Checking in...did you get your revision? I'm in the same situation as you. Waiting now on insurance approval for revision from vsg to rny.

Gramma5
on 2/11/20 4:26 pm
Topic: RE: Do I need a revision?

I often get sharp pains also in my mid section. Scopes see nothing. Don't you just want to scream sometimes CAN'T ANYONE FIX ME??

Lunchladydebby
on 2/11/20 4:10 pm
Topic: RE: Do I need a revision?

I had Orthoscopic RNY in 2005. I have been having gastric problems for a couple of years now. I have had so many tests. I have similar symptoms to yours. My gastroenterologist thinks it may be what you have. I just had a stomach emptying test. It came back normal. I get sternum and under my ribs pain, and severe pain around my mid back after eating and even after a few sips of water sometimes. I had my gall bladder out and it got even worse. I also wake up with pain around my belly button. I am having constipation issues as well. At this point I'm on meds to treat the symptoms. I'm so sick of being sick and in pain. Ironically, I've gained weight.

I sure hope that you are well soon.

...and me, too.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/11/20 12:14 pm
Topic: RE: Time for a revision... but what?

All may depends how long your current malabsorbtion limb is, and much he would want to shorten the common path.

There are proximal and distal RNY. The first - the doc creates a limb of 50-150 cm (or even 200 cm)., and the rest is all connected with juices from remnant stomach and the bile.

The distal - they measure the length of the common path, where we digest and absorb food. That can be shorter or longer.

If you current limb is only 50-75 cm, and the doctor wants to make it even up to 200 cm, I probably would do what he suggested. But unless you really change your diet and avoid sugars, carbs (even natural like in fruits, vegetables or complex carbohydrates), and be mindful about the sizes and frequency of the meals- no WLS surgery may work for you.

As fr distal RNY -That they bypassed majority of the small intestine, leaving only 100-200 common channel - the opinion of bariatric community is that this, after the Band, is the worst one. A person with distal RNY nmay have all the problems RNY can have (dumping, cramps, RH, etc) plus the issues from DS - as severe vitamins - minerals malabsorption.

I personally would chose DS over a distal RNY. Revision from RNY to DS is very very complicated surgery, and carry very high risks. There are only handful of surgeons in US and the world that can properly do the conversion surgery.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active