Recent Posts

hollyround2
on 2/17/20 10:55 am - Gastonia, NC
Topic: RE: Apollo Overstitch Revision

Awesome to hear you got Aetna to approve you Apollo surgery!! I have Apollo Medicare and have more than what is needed for comorbidities. It is nice to hear they have apporved it way back then. I was concerned about the FDA approved requrirement. I hope you have no regrets in having it now.

Fenice
on 2/17/20 7:30 am
Topic: RE: Post Revision Feedback...

Yes, I had RNY in 2009 and it's been just under 3 months now since I had my revision. My surgeon was originally going to do three things, resize my pouch smaller, tighten the "hole" at the bottom of my pouch, and the long limb bypass to dramatically increase the mal-absorption. In the end, he didn't do the resize my pouch thing, said it wasn't worth the effort.

Without a doubt, this is all about bathroom routines! Before, I was like a clock, I'd go once per day in the morning. Occasionally I'd go again at the end of the day but that was unusual. I prided myself on never using a public restroom for #2 ever and I could count on one hand how many times per year I'd go at work.

Now, things are different. I usually go 3x per day. Some days 4x. I've used public rest rooms and go almost daily at work.

Food has been really good. The worse I am, the more I have to go to the bathroom. On the whole, no intolerance, nothing new. I'm eating normally but like anyone on a diet or lifestyle change, I'm trying to be smart about it. The more fat I eat, the more unpleasant the bathroom can be. The only thing I've completely given up is soda (and alcohol.) I don't want to drink my calories anymore. I save them for food. I do miss soda but in my mind I know how bad it is and use that to help me avoid it.

During this pre-op I switched to the simple 4x per day fusion multivitamin. That's all I take. I had my lab work done at my 2 month and it was nearly perfect! Better than it was before.

Weight loss has been surprisingly consistent. I lose about 2 pounds per week - and some of those weeks I was no angel. We had a vacation, holidays, and other issues that made being "good" harder than usual. The magic of this surgery has done it's job.

Nothing in life is perfect but right now, today, I'm super happy about my choice. I'm down about 55 pounds, I need the magic to continue for another 50 or so pounds to be where I want to be. Not sure where my doctor wants me to be but I know where I want to be.

Hope this helps you or someone...

Valsdetermined2lose
on 2/17/20 2:28 am
Topic: RE: Anyone sleeved and re-sleeved?

Thank you for your response and friend request acceptance! Congrats to you! Yeah I don't know many who will re-sleeve and I know there are more risk for complications. I was fearful of having bypass but I have done so much research and I know it's a great choice for me.

HW-267-SW-253-CW-167 I LOVE MY SLEEVE!!!

sleeved524
on 2/16/20 7:44 pm
RNY on 01/30/20
Topic: RE: Anyone sleeved and re-sleeved?

Hi Val,

my doctor said it can be done resleeved but not recommended can have a lot of complications...

I went from Band 2006 to sleeve 2016 and to Gastric Bypass 1/30/2020 2 weeks ago and so far no regrets..i never lost much with the sleeve only 25 lbs and then I got gerd so bad and gained all the weight back so I said enough was enough went in for consult with my doc (same surgeon for all 3) on January 6, 2020 and had the surgery done January 30, 2020.....I feel great if you want to message me privately I answered your friend request...

Valsdetermined2lose
on 2/16/20 1:09 pm
Topic: Anyone sleeved and re-sleeved?

Just wondering if anyone has had this done and what was your experience?

Valsdetermined2lose
on 2/16/20 1:05 pm
Topic: RE: Revision from sleeve to bypass or sleeve to sleeve ???

I'm sorry to hear your tough times and sure you can get help. Even through my sickness I'm still pursuing a revision soon! Good luck on your journey!

Sheri75
on 2/16/20 10:34 am
Topic: RE: Revision Surgeons in RI or SE Mass?

Hello, I'm in the same situation as you. Had gastric bypass rny in 2000 and now gained even more back thanks to thyroid cancer and Ehlers Danlos. I have t had any luck finding a surgeon who does revisions. Have you had any luck? I'm in Rhode Island. Thanks! Sheri

Sheri75
on 2/16/20 9:46 am
Topic: RE: Revision Question Roux En Y

Hello Diana,

do you know if your surgeon who did your revision does virtual consultations online or FaceTime for out of state patients?

Thank you! Sheri

Sheri75
on 2/16/20 9:19 am
Topic: RE: Revision from sleeve to bypass or sleeve to sleeve ???

Hello,

I can sympathize with you. I had gastric with RNY way back in 2000. I lost a little over 100 pounds and kept it off for about 10 years till I got thyroid cancer in 2010. About 6 months after my thyroid surgery and radiation they found another thyroid tumor attached to my left ovary so I had that removed along with my left ovary followed by more radiation. After that the weight has been creeping back on. All the radiation took it's toll on me and made my Ehlers Danlos (connective tissue disorder) much worse leaving me unable to do much at all for exercising. I injure very easily and my fatigue is debilitating. After the gastric bypass, for the first time in my life, I knew what the feeling of "being full" felt like. It was wonderful to know when to stop eating and actually feel satisfied. I don't have that anymore. Anyhow, I've gained back all of the weight I lost and then some and am now the highest weight I've ever been. I've tried everything and can't lose anything. I even tried reaching out to a Bariatric surgeon only to be told they don't do revisions. I feel defeated and don't know how to get proper help that will actually lead to success which brings me here. I've also since been diagnosed with immunodeficiency disorder, Addison's disease and my Ehlers Danlos is crippling with many co-morbidities. I just recently had tethered spinal cord surgery and neck surgery hoping to make things better but I don't have much hope of my other health issues getting better till I can get this weight off.

Prior to my gastric bypass in 2000 I felt lost in who I was. Trapped in a body that didn't feel mine then I had 10 wonderful years feeling happy, healthy and confident where I enjoyed eating properly and exercising daily. For the first time I felt like the person inside matched the outside. Now here we are in 2020 and once again, I'm completely lost. This isn't who I am and it's holding me back and hindering me immensely. I feel like this is a major key component in me getting healthy again and being able to live again. Right now I'm in a terrible lost state.

I hope you don't mind me following this thread. I wish you the very best and hope we both can get the help we need. I'm located in Rhode Island so if anyone knows of a doctor near who would do a revision or conversion to the sleeve or band, please let me know. I can't really afford it but I'll also do what I can to be able to fly somewhere. I'm desperate to get my life back since I'm now on disability and feel pretty helpless. I have premium health insurance so it should cover. It's united healthcare choice plus. They pay $16,000 per month for my ivig infusion therapy for my immunodeficiency disorder so they'd probably pay for a revision surgery if it's going to make me healthier, most likely costing them less in the long run. Thank you & best wishes!

Valsdetermined2lose
on 2/16/20 7:12 am
Topic: Revision from sleeve to bypass or sleeve to sleeve ???

Hello everyone!

Its been a minute on since i been on here but after dealing with Cancer and being on and off meds with cancer treatments i've gained all my weight back and looking into revision surgery soon. I've always been skeptical and scared of bypass but i had sleeve in 2011 which i absolutely loved. I lost a 100 pounds with my sleeve but 2 years or so after i decided to have another baby and through our trying process and 1 miscarriage i delivered a healthy baby girl in 2014! Along with baby came back the weight and getting track with my weight loss- LiFE!!

I would love to have another sleeve but have (gerd) heartburn problems and now looking into bypass. I would like some feedback on people whos had vsg to bypass and please share your experiences and weight loss outcomes. I know that they say its slower after revision but this time around im looking for long term health benefits and just want this extra weight off after failed attempts to do it on my own...

Please chime in

Thanks

Most Active