Recent Posts

Letsbedone
on 9/22/20 3:24 pm
Revision on 09/09/20
Topic: RE: Revision didn?t go as planned

Thanks for your reply?. Yes I know about the malabsorption. The doctor was going to try and bypass more of my intestines to give me the malabsorption. Unfortunately it was to dangerous as I was already under anesthesia 6 hrs. I had a tremendous amt of scar tissue. He felt I could end up with infections and severe malabsorption issues. So it was disappointing, but he had to do the right thing and not proceed with that part.What is the name of the blog to list your foods. I'm still on soft/ full liquid but would like to check it out. Also do you just count calories? Or do you count fat and carbs as well? Thanks again

White Dove
on 9/22/20 2:10 pm - Warren, OH
Topic: RE: Revision didn?t go as planned

The 100 pound weight loss after RNY is due to the restricted size of the stomach and to the malabsorption caused by bypassing the intestines.

That is a once in a lifetime experience. Once your body has figured out how to absorb food again and you have learned to outeat your surgery, then excess weight is extremely hard to lose. The average revision, even if it goes perfectly, will result in a 20 pound weight loss.

And much of that is from the liquid diet before and after surgery. The only way to ever lose weight again is to do it with calorie restriction. Trimming the pouch and tightening the stoma will help if you eat small meals and never drink with your meals. When you drink with a meal, the food runs right out and does not keep you full.

Take a look at this video Drinking with meals

I follow the Weigh****chers plan when I need to drop some pounds. Many people use Keto.

The things you must do for life are limit calories, never drink with meals, take vitamins, and get blood work done at least yearly. I also must have a smart scale and must weigh myself every day. If I stop doing that, I gain very quickly.

It is very possible to lose the weight again, but you have to be realistic and do it the same way as people who never had surgery. It will take about a year of hard work. Many people find it helps them to stay accountable if they plan and post their meals for the day.

We have a daily thread on the RNY board where we do that. Please join us there.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Brandi Girl
on 9/21/20 5:44 am
WLS on 10/18/11
Topic: RE: Gastric plication revision

Thank you for your quick response! I see now I looked at the date posted incorrectly! LOL

I have only now just begun to look into getting a revision. But during my last 9 years I have NEVER spoke with another general doctor who has even heard of Gastric Plication! I hope I have better luck when I begin looking for a doctor to do my revision. LOL

I did recently have an endoscopy procedure done to check on GERD and that GI doctor she could tell my stomach was still stitched, but since she was unfamiliar with the procedure she didn't know if it was stretched or not.

Guess my main fear is that it will be denied by insurance due to MY failure not the procedure's failure. But only way to know for sure is to try. Fingers crossed.

I hope you continue to post so I can follow along with your journey. Wishing you best of luck and health!

Thank you so much!!

AllThatGlittersIsntGold
on 9/20/20 5:17 pm - Woodside, NY

post isn't that old! lol

have you had any testing done since surgery? like an upper GI or barium swallow?

I had both done in 2018 and have confirmed that I have stretched out my stomach. I have since repeated the EGD last week and will be scheduling revision surgery soon.

I have consulted with four bariatrics surgeons. It was easy for me to pick which surgeon to go with because I ultimately picked the surgeon that had experience revising a gastric plication and is confident in his ability to convert me to a sleeve and do a loop ds/modified DS.

His practice has a lot more experience dealing with revision patients and will be submitting my case as a technical failure and as such I don't need to jump through so many hoops like a new patient. The other practices had less experience with revision surgeries and were willing to operate on me but for insurance purposes were treating me as a new patient.

Overall my options were; gastric sleeve, gastric bypass, duodenal switch, loop DS.

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Brandi Girl
on 9/20/20 3:38 pm
WLS on 10/18/11
Topic: Insurance Requirements Different

Does anyone know if there are different insurance requirements when doing a revision? I paid cash for my original surgery back in 2011. Lost all my weight and kept it off until about 1-2 years ago. Now I am hoping insurance will pay for a revision surgery but don't know if I will be held to different standards seeing as I 'failed' my original surgery? Any help or others with experience with this would greatly be appreciated.

Brandi Girl
on 9/20/20 3:33 pm
WLS on 10/18/11

I know this is an old post, but I am curious how things went for you? I had Gastric Plication back in 2011. Lost all my weight and kept it off until almost 2 years ago. Now I have gained it all back and quickly headed to more. I had my G.P. done in Michigan and paid cash for it. I am just wondering now if my insurance will cover a revision surgery for me since I have 'failed' at my first surgery. And if Dr.'s are still willing to take you on as a patient knowing you failed in the past? Probably questions you can not help me with, but if you can give me any info in what you dealt with it would greatly be appreciated!

Thank you!!

Letsbedone
on 9/20/20 3:31 pm
Revision on 09/09/20
Topic: Revision didn?t go as planned

Hello

i had a RNy 9 years ago. I never got to my desired weight, but was happy at 225. Well I went up to 310 ?. Of course my eating wrong was an issue. Long story short, my surgeon went in fixed my hiatal hernia,and was gonna try a revision, but my pouch was incased in scar tissue, he couldn't do anything with my small intestine because of extreme scar tissue. Said it was just to risky for infection and other problems. He was able to trim my pouch which wasn't as bad as they thought. It was just stuck an entwined in scar tissue. He had to move organs around and pull everything down that got stuck and protruded through my stomach.Omg this was painful. Anyhow will this help with weight loss? He trimmed the pouch, did something with the stoma. I think made it smaller somehow and that's all he could do as far as revision. I'm so disappointed. He says the restriction will help and the other Dr at the hospital said it won't help with weight loss? Have no idea what to believe?

White Dove
on 9/17/20 6:18 am - Warren, OH
Topic: RE: RNY to a Lap Band over bypass...thinking of another revision.

Most very successful people manage to keep off about 80 pounds after five years. You have kept off double that amount for 22 years and must be in wonderful health to be a triathlete.

Your diet must not be that bad either. I used to compare the diet after weight loss surgery to feeding a new born baby. Your new pouch might be happy with protein shakes and your tiny baby might be happy with a bottle of formula, but your teenager will want different foods.

The only thing that can be done with a gastric bypass would be a DS. And that is an extremely risky revision that only a few surgeons in the world are qualified to do. It could have a very detrimental effect on your health and quality of life.

I have that dream of being back to my lowest weight. About five years ago, I was really sick and in a lot of pain with a back injury. I did not want to eat and I did go back down to my lowest weight. It was a miserable experience with constant pain, no sleep, no exercise and no desire to eat.

When I got better, that weight came back as quickly as I lost it. And it bought a few friends back with it. I have come to the point where I accept where my body has landed. That does not mean that I don't track my weight, my food, and my exercise. I am always very aware of what I weigh and always working to keep the pounds off. I do that now with daily weighing, tracking my steps and exercise, and following the Weigh****chers points program.

I think that there is a point in life where you accept the place where your weight landed. Then do your best to live your healthiest life. Just my thoughts.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

triathlete
on 9/16/20 4:26 pm - Orlando, FL
Topic: RNY to a Lap Band over bypass...thinking of another revision.

Ok...can I be the only one that is/has been in this position. My RNY was in 1998. I weighed 380lbs. Lowest weight 175. After about 5 years they found that several of my staples were "loose". I didn't blow my staple line but my staples were coming undone and had to be removed. I had a band put over my bypass in 2010. Weight at the time of my band : 190. I maintained that until about 2 years ago when weight started to come back on. I am in menopause, have a mild thyroid issues, have been eating way off program and currently am 220. I am considering some sort of revision. Has anyone ever had their band removed and done something else even with a gastric bypass??? My procedure was open so I am concerned they would have to open me up again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. PS...I am a triathlete ... exercise is not the problem...but you can't work off a bad diet.

Kristie B.
on 9/15/20 7:23 pm - Surprise, AZ
Topic: Any regrets on revision from sleeve to bypass? Anything I need to know?

Due to severe GERD and a failed attempt to repair a hiatal hernia last year I found out today that I will be having another hernia repair surgery and the surgeon also recommended revision from sleeve to bypass. He was driving while he was telling me this so the call kept cutting out but what I could gather from the conversation was that he would be putting in the order tonight and it can take anywhere from 3 to 15 days for my insurance to approve the surgery. He said with my history he didn't think there would be an issue with my insurance and I should be on the books for surgery within the month. What do I need to know about the revision? How will my life change? I understand I will have to do the liquids to solid graduation but what about after? He mentioned I will have to take vitamins and supplements. I use a patch now for my daily vitamin. Will this still be acceptable? Any regrets on having the revision? He didn't do my sleeve. I had that done at a military hospital in 2008. They made me take a class first but he didn't mention one for this time and I didn't think to ask when we were on the phone. And of course now my anxiety is at at all time high.

Kristie

VSG 12/08/08

RNY 11/09/20

Most Active