Recent Posts

AnaliaM
on 3/10/18 7:47 am - Miami, FL
Topic: RE: Lap Band 2 Sleeve Tomorrow

Thanks Marina

Surgery went by the book, recovery is different, a little harder than I thought.

Walking, sipping, day by day!

dcopehp
on 3/9/18 8:46 pm - New York, NY
Topic: RE: X Post - Just Denied Revision

I'm so sorry you were denied. That's heartbreaking. Why would your revision be a 2-stage procedure? Normally that only happens if you're going from an rny to a DS...and most will still do that as one procedure.

the best advice I can give is to give yourself a moment to tell your disappointment and then decide if you want to fight.

a doctors office rarely wins an appeal. It will take you getting in writing the policy they are using to deny you and in writing their rationale for denying you.

I e looked at a lot of bcbs wls policies and have never seen language around a 2-stage procedure.

if need be, you may need to find another surgeon who will do your revision all at once.

good luck! I hope you find a way to get approved.

Tri_harder
on 3/9/18 5:13 pm, edited 3/9/18 9:21 am
Topic: RE: X Post - Just Denied Revision

I am 11 1/2 years out from a RNY in that failed from day 2. Huge stoma, large pouch and very short bypass. I was in the Restore trial in 2007 but it was cancelled and replaced by the overstich years later. The trial put a hole and air was on the wrong side of my diaphragm. It didn't fix anything. I have a tube equal size from my esophagus through my "pouch" through my stoma to my intestines. Nothing stops food from my mouth to my intestines. I have never felt like I have swallowed food. Even 2 days post op in the hospital when I had a protein drink and 3 oz. of purred food (meat, potatoes and carrots). I was surprised that I didn't feel anything in my pouch. This really complicates my blood sugars (I am an insulin dependent diabetic). I have applied for many revisions over the years but insurance won't cover a revision no matter what. March 2007 someone on OH suggested I see a lawyer, but I thought that was greedy. I have health insurance to fix surgical errors...I thought.

All I can say is count calories, expect to always be hungry and empty, space meals and snacks, eat healthy food, get all junk out of your house and raise you goal weight so that you can have an attainable goal.

I will never be "normal" weight but I don't have to be "obese" either. I really wish you well and do the best you can with what you have been given. Perhaps just aiming for what you need to weigh to have your knee replaced. take care, Tri

Bridisskinnyy
on 3/9/18 3:27 pm
RNY on 02/23/18
Topic: RE: Sleeve to RNY Issues

Each day is getting a bit better. I was able to work 7 hours today. Then I ran some errands. I'm at home now and feeling tired but not exhausted like usual. I'm defintely looking forward to a restful weekend.

rocky513
on 3/9/18 3:23 pm - WI

Revisions are much harder to bounce back from. Give it some time and progress your food very slowly. You probably have a great deal of swelling from the GERD along with the revision surgery. Remember that your stomach was radically altered twice. It is bound to be a little sensitive.

I promise it will get better. Been there, done that...and doing great. I had a VBG in 1986 and was revised to RNY in 2010. My recovery from revision surgery was very difficult. It took almost a full year to feel really good. Just keep plugging along.

(BTW RNY surgery has been around since the late 1890's. Sleeve surgery is not older than the RNY as one poster said.)

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

babettes_feast
on 3/9/18 2:45 pm
Topic: X Post - Just Denied Revision

I just received a call from my surgeon's office stating that my surgery is denied because BC/BS does not approve "two stage procedures." My VSG was my one shot. The insurance handler at the office wants me to give my surgeon permission to appeal on my behalf but says it "doesn't look good" based on their reasoning.

I'm just devastated.

MichelleN1
on 3/9/18 12:28 pm
VSG on 03/12/14
Topic: RE: Feeling hopeless

Hi there! I'm in the same boat. I have no restriction at all and horrid heartburn so I make bad choices when that starts going at night (think popcorn and bread type things-it's the only thing that helps now that I can't take Prilosec anymore). The 5 day pouch is crap. It's just liquid for a few days then protein. It doesn't magically make you "feel full" again. I tried it...you can get protein shakes and soup for 3 days and some emergen-c and save 50.00-you're welcome. I started South beach and it's going well-I've re-lost 14lbs (HW-320, SW-277, LW-201, CW-255). Pick something that's easy if there is no time. I'm doing meal delivery and it's taking the prep time out of my hands. I'm starting back on prepping my own food this week since I have off and can take the time. Honestly, there are days I'd rather have the ability to take Motrin than have done this surgery, but I did it so I must keep doing what I can, when I can, to get back on track. You can't just give up...try something, anything to get back on track!

Grim_Traveller
on 3/9/18 10:03 am
RNY on 08/21/12

This is not typical, but it happens. If you had trouble with fluids it would potentially be a much bigger issue. But transitioning from fluids to food can result in the problems you are having.

It should start getting better. None of us go through this long term. Once you are healed, you shouldnt feel the difference between a sleeve and RNY.

And RNY is an older procedure, until recently done in much greater numbers than the sleeve, not the other way around.

Hang in there.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Bridisskinnyy
on 3/9/18 5:30 am
RNY on 02/23/18

Glad to know this! I am definitely sticking to my surgeons direction. I am so lucky that I even found a surgeon to do it, I had such a hard time. Anymore progression of the esophagus issues and it would've been classified as Barrett's Esophagus. I had no issues getting approved once I found a surgeon.

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/18 5:24 am

Bypass recovery is like being hit by a Mack truck... that's why they did the sleeve and the band before it !

Its seriously major surgery ... get used to the idea of many weeks of recovery and adhering to your surgeons guidelines.

You were very lucky to get this revision... make the most of it. (((())) hugs

Most Active