Recent Posts

LizaBrooke
on 3/19/18 5:33 pm
Topic: RE: Looking for Revision advice

I am definitely an emotional eater and have been working on that in therapy for the last 6 mos. You are right in that the stomach is only one part. Some of my weight gain is definitely due to user error, but I also felt like after a year, i had no restriction. I followed the rules and didn't drink while eating, ate protein first, measured my food, etc. I had ulcers and very bad GERD before surgery. I don't have extreme GERD like many of this site, but I definitely have silent reflux and U.K. era again..my stomach burns after eating, churns if it's empty, i feel breathless after eating, etc. I've literally been working my tail off to lose this weight and it's just not budging.

rocky513
on 3/19/18 4:39 pm - WI
Topic: RE: VBG to Sleeve-Dr requires 2 separate procedures-insurance approved.

I had my VBG revised to RNY all in one procedure. It was a LONG surgery to repair the damage from VBG. With the VBG they actually punch a large hole through the top of the stomach and place a band in. It causes severe damage and scarring. The band almost always implants itself in the stomach and adheres to the liver and is very difficult to remove.

Did you have GERD from your VBG? If so I would not recommend getting the sleeve surgery. GERD symptoms can get much worse with the sleeve.

Knowing the anatomy of the VBG I'm having trouble understanding how it can even be revised to a sleeve. It makes more sense to have an RNY revision (based on the anatomy of a VBG). RNY creates a pouch at the top of the stomach right above where the VBG band was placed and reroutes a section of intestines. There is a much smaller staple line that has a better chance to heal with the excess scar tissue from the VBG. The remnant stomach (with the bulk of scarring from the band) is separated from the pouch, but left in place. It's still attached to the intestines below the new roux limb so it still functions to produce digestive juices to aid in the digestion of food in the intestines. I'm unsure how the large hole and band damage from VBG can be repaired enough to create a sleeve.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

rocky513
on 3/19/18 4:19 pm - WI
Topic: RE: Looking for Revision advice

Many insurance companies have a one per lifetime clause in their plans for WLS. You would have to have some sort of mechanical failure of your original surgery or a severe case of GERD to qualify for a revision. Simple weight gain attributed to "user error" is usually not going to get you to a revision.

You will have to go through an endoscopy to see if there is a mechanical problem or signs of GERD damage in your esophagus. If there is damage then your doctor will likely not make you jump through the newbie hoops for revision surgery. If there is no damage to your original surgery he will refer you to a dietitian to get your diet back on track.

I don't mean this to sound harsh but there is no revision in this world that will help you if you don't figure out why you over eat. I know it's hard. I've been there. The surgery only works on the stomach. Getting the head stuff straight is up to us. As a food addict, I can tell you that it's a daily battle to make the right food choices.

You can lose the weight again if you are told you don't qualify for a revision. It will take a lot longer than when you first had surgery, but there are many people on this site who have done it. Some were decades out from their original surgery when they finally reached their goal weight.

Best of luck to you!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

LizaBrooke
on 3/19/18 3:14 pm
Topic: Looking for Revision advice

Hi everyone!

I am looking to have a possible revision on my VSG. I was sleeved in August 2011 and lost 85 lbs. i never got to my goal weight, and slowly started gaining back after. I had a baby in 2016 and gained 60 lbs. I am only 15 lbs from my highest weight. I have been trying to lose weight for the last year and a half. I've done weigh****chers, low carb/Keto, counting calories, etc. I try to use my pouch as a tool, but I have no restriction anymore. I just keep losing and gaining the same 15 lbs. I'm so frustrated and disappointed in myself. I didn't realize revisions were a thing until I just started doing some research and cake across this forum.

What is the best way to get the process started? I loved my surgeon and am scheduled to see him next week, but I'm worried about what he's going to say. How should I approach the topic with him..I don't want to just go in and say I want a different procedure. I am interested in either a GB or DS (i already had my gallbladder out 2 years ago). Do I have to go through all of the pre-op stuff again?? Did your surgeons make you try XYZ before they would agree to do another procedure? I'm in the Philadelphia area and would love some surgeon recommendations as a back up in case my Dr doesn't want to help me.

Thanks in in advance for any advice you can offer!!

bkrejsta
on 3/19/18 12:59 pm
Topic: RE: Rny pouch size revision

Would you mind sharing a little bit of details of what led up to your getting your pouch resized? I'm looking to meet with my gastric bypass surgeon to discuss, but I'm not sure if there are only certain cir****tances under which they'll do it?

airbender
on 3/17/18 9:47 pm
Topic: RE: VBG to Sleeve-Dr requires 2 separate procedures-insurance approved.
On March 18, 2018 at 12:28 AM Pacific Time, Cati2d wrote:

Hello, i was a member in 2009 before my VBG. I've had numerous complications and hospitalized for obstructions. My surgeon says my hand opening in 6mm-8mm. He got me approved by both my husband and my insurances. But, surgeon requires 2 separate procedures. 1) remove all old VBG remains. When healed 2) Sleeve Gastrectomy.

I do not understand WHY this needs to be so delayed with 2 procedures why can't he just go it all in one? I see him on Monday (2 days) but I HATE my job and I need to resign but can't due to needing the insurance.

Can anyone explain why 2 procedures are needed???

Thank you everyone I'm happy and sad to be back on here.

cat

highest weight pre VBG 273 lb

lowest post VBG 182 lb

current 228 lb

this will be a general response, best to ask your surgeon.

Essentially VBG cause a host of complications-even if the patient is unaware of them till surgeon finds them on OR day. VBG is removed and the tissue is allowed to heal before a VSG can be performed as leaks across the staple line in VSG are very difficult to treat and can be fatal.

So in the meantime give your body the best it can get, by eating right, exercising, and resting. Your body will thank you.

good luck in your journey

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

Cati2d
on 3/17/18 5:28 pm
Topic: VBG to Sleeve-Dr requires 2 separate procedures-insurance approved.

Hello, i was a member in 2009 before my VBG. I've had numerous complications and hospitalized for obstructions. My surgeon says my hand opening in 6mm-8mm. He got me approved by both my husband and my insurances. But, surgeon requires 2 separate procedures. 1) remove all old VBG remains. When healed 2) Sleeve Gastrectomy.

I do not understand WHY this needs to be so delayed with 2 procedures why can't he just go it all in one? I see him on Monday (2 days) but I HATE my job and I need to resign but can't due to needing the insurance.

Can anyone explain why 2 procedures are needed???

Thank you everyone I'm happy and sad to be back on here.

cat

highest weight pre VBG 273 lb

lowest post VBG 182 lb

current 228 lb

nak77brr
on 3/17/18 1:00 pm
RNY on 03/13/18
Topic: RE: Sleeve to Bypass Revision

I just had surgery 3.13.18..4 days out and i have been to target and Ross and cleaning and feeling pretty good. Only bad thing is the gas pains.i walk and tried gas x and pray it works.i feel pretty good. A little sore but nothing I cant tolerate.i had revision due to gerd. I had my sleeve 2012 with my hw 310 got to 218 and gain 39 lb before the surgery trying to eat food that would help with the gerd or I just would eat.i haven't been on the scale seen home from the hospital due to the liquids they pump in you..i try to sip and walk as much as i can and when i get tired I do sit down.i have to get use to this new restriction but i know it will be a journey.im excited because i am gerd free.i hear the weight lost isnt as high but it's ok if i can go on with life without my chest busting into flames everytime i eat something. Good luck

such_a_pretty_face
on 3/17/18 3:44 am
Topic: RE: Rny pouch size revision

Thanks! There is not a lot of information available for possible weight loss outcomes.

L. Knight
on 3/17/18 3:44 am
VSG on 07/28/09 with
Topic: RE: Drain Tube? Catheter? Anyone?

I had a drain in for 3 days and it was very painless coming out. I took one deep breath and it was out.

Most Active