Recent Posts

White Dove
on 6/16/21 11:42 am - Warren, OH
Topic: RE: Second Chance after RNY over 10 years ago. -- Anyone in this boat?

As you have noted, people do not come back and post after their revisions. That is because they lose about 20 pounds and are disappointed. People believe that a revision is going to be like a virgin weight loss surgery, where they will lose 100 pounds over the next year. When they realize that the 20 pounds is the result, they stop posting. Whatever you are doing, it is still too many calories. The only way to lose weight is to eat less than you burn.

Carnie Wilson was one star who made her revision public. She lost 20 pounds from her lapband over RNY revision, but wrote that she had to really watch her diet to keep from gaining the weight back.

Most revisions to RNY involve making the pouch and stoma smaller. It is extremely easy to stretch those back out. There are revisions to the intestines that can have life-changing side effects. Make sure you find out what is being done and what side effects to expect.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

paints77
on 6/14/21 11:22 am
Topic: RE: 12 Year old RNY 100lb Gain

What is distilization? I went from 398 to 250 stayed there for 12 yrs. lost my job 2 yes ago after working for 42 yes. I am 62 n working on a revision. Lost 30 so far after gaining 70 the last 2 yes.

Gallerygal
on 6/11/21 6:47 pm
Topic: Second Chance after RNY over 10 years ago. -- Anyone in this boat?

Hi! Thanks for reading my post. I am looking for encouragement and feedback from those who may be in the same boat. I appreciate all responses, but I am not looking for dieting or what to eat or not eat advice. Unfortunately, I know what to do, but don't always do it (although I have been getting better), I also read the statistics and I know what revision stats are... That said, I will try to make this short and sweet.

In 2007 I had RNY and lost 122 pounds. Kept it off until 2018. Several events have occurred in my life and I have fallen off the wagon. When the pandemi****urred and my physical activity ceased, I essentially "blew up the scale". I have gained 69 pounds! Thankfully, I have stopped gaining. I have been working with an amazing bariatric dietician via phone sessions (she is on the west coast and I am on the east coast). So that has been going great. However, I cannot seem to lose this weight. I have been the same weight for a year so I am hopeful I am on the right track. I am in my late 40's and without extensive exercise (even if I restrict my eating) I tend to stay the same weight (fluctuate with 5 pounds).

Now that I said all that. I have just recently started thinking about a revision, AKA my second chance. Is there anyone out there who has had or is going through a revision procedure after RNY? Or do you know of any public figures (or social media influencers) who have shared their journey? I am looking for the journey process (and outcome) of anyone else who was fortunate enough to get a second chance. From my research, not many people have come back to share or post on these forums. If they have, I have not seen it. So thank you for reading this and thank you for any response you wish to provide.

Semkeluise
on 5/31/21 6:18 am
Topic: RE: Which insurance companies approved your revision?

I agree with Erin, obesity is a widespread problem around the globe and the necessity of being fit today is the dream of many people. My mother herself had problems with overweight in the past, and decided to have a surgery at the local hospital. She went through all the testings for more than a month and after that, she was ready to be operated. Luckily she had insured at "5 million dollar life insurance policy" which covered the cost of the intervention and reabilitation period. Now she lives a happy life of being fit and does not have any problems when looking at herself in the mirror.

White Dove
on 5/30/21 8:36 am, edited 5/30/21 1:36 am - Warren, OH
Topic: RE: RNY revision- seeking journey stats

RNY results in approximate 100 pound weight loss after approximately one year. Typical regain is approximately 20 pounds in year three after surgery.

Fifty percent regain at least half of their weight lost by year five. Many regain 100% of the lost weight by year ten.

Revision typically results in a 20 pound loss. The only way to lose the weight and maintain the loss is following a diet where you do not take in more calories than your body burns.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Gallerygal
on 5/29/21 6:53 am
Topic: RE: RNY revision- seeking journey stats

Toya, I am in the same boat you are in! Although you did better than me. I am looking for similar answers, as I have not had revision yet but thinking bout it. Here is what I have:

-1st surgery/yr : RNY/2007
- pre-op weight: 282
-lowest weight post-op: 160 and very happy.
-set point weight (longest held weight prior to regain) Stayed there until 2018.
- revision (procedure name)/date: NONE YET but thinking about it.
Current weight: 220

Considering: Revision but not sure which one.

Thanks for your post Toya.

Toya C.
on 5/29/21 5:03 am - Baltimore, MD
Topic: RNY revision- seeking journey stats

I need hard fast stats to assist in my decision-making.

RNYers (as initial procedure) pls help me, answer this...

-1st surgery/yr
- pre-op weight
-lowest weight post-op
-set point weight (longest held weight prior to regain)
- revision (procedure name)/date
- pre-op weight
-post op weight

I'll go first

*RNY/2008
*pre-op: 280
*lowest post-op: 146 (8/2009)
*setpoint: 175 (1-2yrs w/ little effort, I liked working out tho)

*2013 steady weight increase /current 235-240

(No revision stats yet, this is where your experiences help me, especially post revision stats) HIT ME!

mcposw
on 5/24/21 2:25 pm
Revision on 06/06/21
Topic: RE: Sleeve to Bypass and Hiatal Hernia Repair due to Gerd- Burning Still Nasty Taste in Mouth

I am having to same revision surgery Sleeve to RNY and hiatal hernia repair in two weeks. Having it because of GERD. I have normal BMI 25. I will not be taking anymore PPIs. Did u take PPIs before revision? Hope u r feeling better.

mcposw
on 5/24/21 2:20 pm
Revision on 06/06/21
stratusphr2
on 5/20/21 3:31 pm
Topic: RE: Which insurance companies approved your revision?
On November 18, 2020 at 5:22 PM Pacific Time, Alrightvw wrote:

Yes!!!!! I was approved by NYSHIP and I am having my revision on December 2nd. Began my 2-week liquid diet today!

What is the reason for your revision? I would go from sleeve to RNY, but I haven't seen the bariatric doctor yet. I have a hiatal hernia. I had one repaired when I had sleeve surgery. He discovered it after he got started. I guess it is back. Terrible GERD that did ok for a few months after being put on Pantoprazole, then he had to up it to twice a day. Now I'm back to resorting to Tums on top of the script. I would love to know what they're going to require, what hoops I'll have to jump through. I was cash pay the first time around, but it was elective, this would be medical.

Most Active