Recent Posts

White Dove
on 7/26/21 5:40 pm, edited 7/26/21 10:41 am - Warren, OH
Topic: RE: Revision Result

RNY to Switch is a very complicated operation and I cannot recall anyone on this board who had it, except one person who passed away shortly after the surgery. We never knew if his death was surgery related. I spoke to a surgeon in Spain who did the RNY to DS and he told me that I would not have done any better with DS than I did with RNY.

There are only a few surgeons in the world who do that conversion. Most people lose about 100 pounds with RNY, then gain back twenty during year three. About 50% have gained back 50 by year 5. As time goes on, regain is higher. Anything that tightens the pouch, sleeve, or stoma can be stretched out again if you eat too much at one time. Keeping from overeating will be for life. Losing more than the 20 pounds from the liquid diet pre and post conversion will involve less calories and more exercise.

You will probably get more responses if you start a new tread, as many people don't look at old ones.

There is a person who posts on the DS tread who I believe was a revision from RNY to DS

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Leslie2016
on 7/26/21 3:48 pm

Hi, Is that 20 pounds even with an RNY to Switch revision? Im 16 years out from RNY, lost 100, bounced back 10, 10 from meopause and now the pandemic has gifted me 40 more. Ugh!! I see my surgeon tomorrow and will post what he says.

Donna W.
on 7/24/21 1:16 pm - Spring, TX
Topic: RE: Second Chance after RNY over 10 years ago. -- Anyone in this boat?

Hi! I had my original RNY is May 2007. I had the Overstitch procedure done 2 weeks ago. starting weight was 325lb. I lost 125lbs in my first five months. Went on to slowly lose a bit more and stalled. Maintained this for years but had a host of issues and surgeries. Then about 5 years ago the weight started creeping up. I became to have a ton of abdominal symptoms. Pain,boating, intense sharp pain. Nausea all the time. I have been on Zofran and Levsin (for intestinal cramping) in addition to being diagnosed with Celiacs Disease, malabsorption and then IBS. Things continued to get worse. Went to my surgeon in April. He recommended that I see a gastroenterologist that also performs the Overstitch procedure so that in addition to his finding out what is wrong, I could be evaluated for the procedure. Let's just say I am so glad I went. My friend that had RNY in 2006 also went with me. So we determined he would do an upper go to check out what was going on. Hers was straight forward. She had stretch out. Her pouch so he made the stomach opening 8mm and brought the pouch size down to original size post RNY.

for me though not so easy. Turns out I had a gastric diverticula on my staple line near my stoma. It was a pouch or as he called it a hump. So that was feeling with food that wood get stuck. Produce gasses causing the bloating and so much pain. Then her sutured that closed and reduced my stomach and pouch from the 7mm in length back to 2 mm. So I had a bit more pain and adjustment than my friend. But I have to say. I fell so much better!!! And I have lost 15lbs. I lost 16 lbs after RNY at 2 weeks.

the diet after is rough 2 weeks clear liquids and 4 weeks full liquids (then 4 of purée and 4 sifts) but I feel so much better. I am so glad that I went and now feel confident in loosing the weight. Now on full liquids I can have regular protein shakes instead of just protein water so it's a little easier to take. But I look forward to losing the weight regain and keeping it off this time.

Donna

White Dove
on 7/20/21 5:39 am - Warren, OH
Topic: RE: Had my Apollo Overstitch revision.....

I hope you will continue to post and share your results on this board. We have hundreds of posts from people who had the procedure, but never have I seen a follow up post which tells what happened after newness of the procedure wore off.

SuSu2
on 7/18/21 6:17 pm

I just had the Apollo procedure and am optimistic. I had RNY surgery in 2003 - 18 years ago. I haven't felt any restriction for a long time. Well, when Dr. did endoscopy, he told me my pouch is still fine but my stoma had stretched to 35mm!

I am just 4 days out from the procedure and have progressed from clear liquids to full liquids (translate - protein drinks). And I definitely feel it. I am struggling to get the protein and water requirements in.

So, I am hopeful!

SuSu2
on 7/18/21 6:11 pm

Chris Thompson is just wonderful!

White Dove
on 7/15/21 3:50 pm, edited 7/15/21 8:50 am - Warren, OH

I have been on this forum since 2003. I can recall one person *****vised to RNY and is at about normal BMI. She works very hard at diet and exercise. The weight loss is not from the revision, although that did help her GERD.

The usual 20 pound of revision weight loss is from the pre-op liquid diet and is typical of any revision. Most regain that once they heal from the surgery and go back to their normal eating. After weight loss surgery there is bounceback regain in year three of approximately 20 pounds. By year five about 50% of people have regained about 40 to 50 pounds. By year ten, regain is even higher. After the effect of surgery wears off, the only way to maintain weight loss is fewer calories in and more calories burned.

The 100 pound or more weight loss that follows the initial surgery is a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence. It does not happen with revisions.

KathyDallas11
on 7/14/21 7:02 am
Topic: Revision Result

I am a 51 year old professional. I had wls August 2014 (sleeve). My lowest wieght was 180. My highest wieght was 291. (Dang I was definitely a Big girl).Currently , I am 235 with a BMI 40.30.

I am moving forward towards revision sugery. However, I confused about only lossing 20 pounds postoperative. Is there any female on this form who had achieved a nomal BMI after revision?

KathyDallas11
on 7/14/21 6:59 am
Topic: Revision Result

I am a 51 year old professional. I had wls August 2014 (sleeve). My lowest wieght was 180. My highest wieght was 291. (Dang I was definitely a Big girl).Currently , I am 235 with a BMI 40.30.

I am moving forward towards revision sugery. However, I confused about only lossing 20 pounds postoperative. Is there any female on this form who had achieved a nomal BMI after revision?

taniaturner1219
on 7/8/21 1:36 pm
Topic: RE: Was it hard to get your surgeon to do a revision?

I'm in the process of trying to get a revision approval. Was your pouch stretched and which procedure did you go with doe your revision

Most Active