Is any second wls a revision?

Ms Janet
on 4/7/06 5:17 am - Star City, NE
I had VBG back in 1992. Unfortunately, I traveled quite a ways from home for that procedure and I had no follow up or support. I had lots of problems and the banding had to be removed about a year later. I did lose some weight and maintain that for quite a while, but now I'm upward bound. If I had some type of surgery now, would it still be a revision? Would that help me with the insurance company (still have the same one)? I have an appointment with a surgeon, but not till the end of April. Thanks. Janet
(deactivated member)
on 4/8/06 1:57 am - Plano, TX
Yes, it would be considered a revision if you have a second surgery. But many doctors won't do the same procedure. If one type failed, they generally want to revise you to something else.
Ms Janet
on 4/8/06 6:17 am - Star City, NE
That's ok - I don't want the same procedure. I'm just wondering if a revision gets different treatment from the insurance company. Thanks Becky!
(deactivated member)
on 4/9/06 1:19 am - Plano, TX
Oh, I see. That I'm not sure about. I'm still waiting on my approval too.
lunastella
on 4/10/06 1:42 am - St Paul, MN
Hi there, I had the VBG in 1991 and this January I had a revision to the BP/DS. My insurance company is BC/BS MN. When I decided to have a revision I had my orthopedist write a letter concerning my knees and arthritis to submit to the insurance company along with a Psyc. Evaluation and the paperwork from my chosen surgeon. There is a better chance of getting approval if you have a high BMI and health problems that are weight related. I must tell you that revision weight loss is much slower and even though I am down 2-3 sizes, it has taken 3 months, whereas with my first surgery I was down much faster. Research your surgery options and talk to others, that is what I did and everything worked out just fine. If you have any questions....feel free to ask!!! Laura
Most Active