VBG to RNY weight loss question

loribaker271
on 3/29/06 12:45 am - Van Alstyne, TX
What kind of test did you have done to find out that your staples had ruptured?Did he send you to a nutrioinist with a rwo week food journal? The only test he has done was the barium swallow test and the nurse said it was fine. Does this mean there is no staple line rupture? I just know something is not right because I can eat anything and I don't get sick.
(deactivated member)
on 3/29/06 8:29 am - Plano, TX
He did the barium swallow test, and it was very apparent that the barium went through the staple line. I could see it myself on the screen. I'm not a doctor, but it didn't take a technician to see that it wasn't going through the pouch and through the band. It went right through the staple line. The technician pointed it out, but I could tell before he even said anything; it was that obvious. He didn't send me to a nutritionist, but instead sent me to have psychiatric therapy to rule out a possible eating disorder. Dr. Hamn felt that I must have thrown up too much and caused it to rupture. But I can honestly say (and my husband is my witness) that I rarely threw up. There were a couple of occasions when I did, but it was because I had eaten some very dry tuna and chicken. I thought I had chewed it good enough, but it got stuck and I had to either throw up or pass out from the pain. Nonetheless, Dr. Hamn said that because this is a very complicated surgery, he couldn't just do it unless I could prove to him that I was serious about it and would follow the rules (understandably). I saw Dr. Melvin Whitehurst for three visits and re-took the 567-question evaluation. I also took a couple of other evaluations that had to do with eating patterns and such. I highly recommend this therapist to anybody. He's wonderful! He ruled out an emotional eating disorder and said that I just needed to make a few lifestyle changes. I'm going back to see him after my revision to work on that. I am looking forward to it because, like I said, he's a wonderful therapist and really knows his stuff. If you had the barium test and they didn't see a rupture, then you didn't have a rupture. They would have told you so. How much are you able to eat? More than a cup? Before mine ruptured, I could eat maybe a half cup of any kind of food. Try measuring your food and reducing the amount gradually. Could be you just stretched it a little. Even though my staple line ruptured, I still can't eat as much as I used to. If I eat too much, it's painful. But I can eat enough to make me gain weight.
loribaker271
on 3/29/06 6:52 am - Van Alstyne, TX
Did Dr Hamm send you to a nutritionist? How did you know that your staples ruptured?
Debra F.
on 3/28/06 11:31 pm - Houston, TX
Hello Carol... I had the vbg done 8/98 and had all kinds of problems... throwing up daily, the ring was too big for my body...etc... so I learned to eat around it... and it seemed like the best food to eat was not always the best for me.... I started out at 227 with the vbg and then in 2004 I decided to get a revision and was approved within 2 weeks... I had all my medical records - 8 dilatations done etc.... dehydrated... In 8/04 I had my revision to rny and weighed 205 the day of surgery... as of today I weighed in at 129 I was wearing a size 22 with the vbg and got down to size 18... I was wearing a size 20 with the revision and today I am wearing a size 4/6 depends on the close... I am almost 2 years out and wish I would have done this years ago.... I think since it was a revision I lost slower than people who had it the same day... but we are all different... and the mental part is harder for me... cause I was use to eating a certain way... and now with the revision I CAN NOT eat sugar...or I will dump.. and I mean get sick... with the sweats, heart racing and some times diarreaha... with the vbg all I did was throw up.... Please feel free to email me if you want... My profile does not really have that much on my vbg.. guess I should add that since I am a revision... I need to spend some time updating it... but I do have some before and recent pics on there... Debra 227/205/129 1st Surgery/Revision/Today 8/98 - 8/04 - today Obesity Help Support Group Leader
BeverlyReynolds
on 8/19/07 3:08 pm - albert lea, MN
Hello.. I had the vbg done 2004 and did very well up to the past 6 months. I have lost 200 lbs and still have 100 to go. But I have had to have several dilations done because everything I ate except junk foods made me throw up. No matter how much I chewed my meat, it came up. I am going to see my surgeon this week, last time I had a dilation done they said they couldnt dilate anymore, have to have a revision done. I am on medicare so I am hoping they will pay for it too. I am in MN. Looking for help to my questions
Most Active