VBG to RNY weight loss question

pcbrat
on 3/25/06 4:05 am - Mesquite, TX
I would like to hear from others who have had the revision from the VBG to the RNY ( I had mine lap about 3 wks ago), after having had the VBG in 2000. I lost 85 lbs till my staples ruptured, at which time I slowly gained about 100lb back! My question is do you still lose weight just as good after the revision, or is it harder after having had the VBG first? I'm hoping that I can lose all this weight just like I had before.....Thanks!!
LyndaNull
on 3/25/06 5:24 am - Conroe, TX
I am in the same spot you are in. I had the VBG in 2002. I lost 80 pounds until my staple ruptured. I was lucky that I only gained 25 pounds back. My surgery was on Feb. 27, so I am almost 4 weeks out. Right now I have lost 25 pounds, which puts me right back where I was at my best weight after my VBG surgery. Of course when I gained it back, it was in my hips and stomach, and the first place to lose it is in my chest and face. Hopefully I will soon be able to fit back into the clothes I bought after the first surgery. My revision was very lengthy - 8 hours - because of all of the scar tissue I had, plus my stomach had fused together. Because of this, I have been on a liquid diet for the entire time. I have liquids and proteins shakes, and that is all. Hopefully when I go for my doctor's appointment on Tuesday, I will be able to start eating something. Now to your question, my doctor told me that I should be able to lose just as well as I did after the first surgery, but that it just might be a little slower. Good luck on your journey! I am so glad that both of us have had this second chance of getting our lives back.
cush
on 3/25/06 2:52 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Hi Ladies, Let me tell ya'll about my experience with the VBG and RNY. I had my vbg in 1995 and it worked really well for 5 years. By the middle of 2000 I begain to gain weight and it was due to bad eating habits and lack of exericse. I gain about 25 pounds before I got pregnant and doing my pregnancy I had gain another 85 pounds so and all I had gain 110 pounds. After I had my son I loss 40 pounds of baby fat. Due to stress and depression I gain back the 40 pounds I had loss. So I weighed 284 pounds when I had my rny surgery. I was 1 pound lighter than I was the first time I had vbg surgery. Since I have had my rny I have loss 79 pounds so far. Yes it seems like I'm losing slower than the first time, but when I look back at how much I have loss now I'm ahead of where I was than. It took me 1 year to lose 100 pounds when I had the vbg and it look like the same thing we happen this time. The good thing about the rny is I don't throw up and I can eat meat and bread with out my stomach getting sick. The only thing is I will dump when I eat high sugary foods, like cake frosting regular yogurt kool whip and high sugary cereals. The hardest thing to do is to not drink when I eat, but I take 2 to 3 sips, and than I wait for about 1 hour before I finish my drink. I hope I have answer some of you'll questions. Take Care Carolyn (Jc C.) 284/205/ I hope to be 150-ish.
LyndaNull
on 3/25/06 10:15 pm - Conroe, TX
It was great to hear from someone who has had the same experiences, but is farther along in the process. Good luck on reaching your goal.
loribaker271
on 3/27/06 2:38 am - Van Alstyne, TX
How are you? I sent you an email,but I havn't heard from you.
pcbrat
on 3/27/06 7:51 am - Mesquite, TX
I don't think I got it, but I appreciate you asking. I am doing ok, 3 weeks out today. I've lost 26 lbs, but I have been holding at that for several days. (Do you think that's normal?) I'm hoping it will drop soon. BTW, I noticed that Dr. Stephen Hamm did your surgery. Was this the VBG or the RNY? He did my VBG back in 2000. Did you lose well after your revision? Thanks for your in-put!! Carol
loribaker271
on 3/28/06 3:09 am - Van Alstyne, TX
Carol, I have not had my revision yet. I had the VBG in 1999 with DR Hamm. I went back to see him last week. I lost about 60 lbs with my VBG. I have gained it all back. I went to talk with him about a revision and he is sending me to a nutritionist next week. I have to keep afood journal to take with me. He asked me if I wanted the RNY, but I am really nervouse about it. I wanted him to do a lapband over the VBG,but he prefers to do RNY. He said the VBG and lap band have the same rules.I went and had the barium swallow test and the nurse from dr hamm office said it was fine, but I still think something is not right because I can eat anything. I don't get sick when I eat. Did you have this problem with VBG? I guess my biggest fear with the RNY is complications. I think you will do great. I have noticed that a lot of people with RNY say they drop the weight slower,but just hang in there it will come off.Please keep me posted,when I read your profile it was like looking in a mirror. That is really true now that I know we had the same DR!!! If you don't mind me asking, Why did DR Hamm not do your revision??
(deactivated member)
on 3/28/06 8:49 am - Plano, TX
I also use Dr. Hamn. He did my VBG in 2003. My staples ruptured within a year. I've gained back about 60 lbs of the 90 that I lost. He sent me for psychological counseling before he would do a revsion. We're waiting on insurance approval right now. Has anybody had approval for a revision through United Health Care? Once I get approval, then I will get a surgery date.
dawn1234
on 3/28/06 9:24 am
Hi Becky, I have United Health Care and didnt have one bit of a problem getting the revision paid for. But I have learned that there 1000's of policies that are issued from United Health Care and all vary in coverage. If I would you I would check with them to see if they cover gastric bypass surgery.....look up the code and have it ready to give to the customer service rep(I used to have a list of all the codes but lost it). I also was one of the unfortunate ones that had MAJOR COMPLICATIONS postop be sure to check with them also to see if your policy covers enteral and parental feeding formulas and supplies(just in case you do have complications) so you dont have the surprise of that added cost(mine cost us $600 a month). Yes I would do it all again......even with the complications that I endured! I am finally HEALTHY and eating the way I should have for years! I pray you have a smooth journey toward a revision....and wish you nothing but the best! If you have any questions....feel free to email me. Hugs, Dawn
(deactivated member)
on 3/28/06 11:50 am - Plano, TX
Thanks for the info!
Most Active