Home after revision from VGB to RNY

LyndaNull
on 3/3/06 7:48 am - Conroe, TX
I had my revision surgery on Monday. When Dr. Wilson got to my stomach, he found more than he had bargined for. He knew that I would have lots of scar tissue, but he didn't know that part of the scar tissue had closed my stomach together. He worked so hard to take care of all of this. Then, when he got ready to do the RNY, he discovered that my stomach walls were much thicker than he ever imagined. He said that one trip with the staples and sutures didn't hold, and that he had to go over it again. In the end, after 8 hours of surgery, he was able to complete my revision. Dr. Wilson had anticipated me having to stay four days because of scar tissue, but it was upped to 5 days because of the length of surgery. I was pretty much out of it all day on Monday. I would wake up periodically to talk to my family, but not for long periods of time. Tuesday was MUCH better. I was up walking, but still not able to have anything to eat or drink, including ice chips. I felt better as the day went on. I had the swallow test on Wednesday, and I was able to have water and ice chips on Wednesday afternoon. Thursday evening they added broth, tea and jello to my diet. The only pain I have had is from the two tubes still in my stomach. Hopefully they will come out on my post-op visit on Tuesday, March 6. I was up walking several times a day starting on Tuesday, and I have really felt pretty good. I still take several short naps a day. I came home this afternoon, Friday, March 3. What a wonderful sight, even though everyone at the hospital was fantastic. My friend who spent the night with me the first night said that she had never seen a patient have so many doctors and nurses checking on her as I did. I hope that everyone else who has had their surgery was as successful as I was.
sasmith
on 3/4/06 12:10 pm - Lemoore, CA
Hi Lynda and welcome home! Isn't that first breath of non-hospital air marvelous? And I was only in for three days. Congratulations on making it through. I was a laparoscopic revision from VBG (1987) to RNY (Jan 27 of this year) and am very happy I made that decision. I only wish I had done it ten years ago. Read my profile for more details. Good luck and best wishes and if there are any questions that I might be able to help you with, don't hesitate to ask.
cush
on 3/5/06 6:27 am - Fort Worth, TX
Hi Lynda, Congrats on the revision surgery and welcome back home. I had my revision last year 08/30/05 and I'm 6 months out now. Boy how time flys it seems like it was yesterday instead of 6 months ago. I had my vbg in 1995 and it stop working due to me getting pregnant and December 2000. Since I've had my revision some times I fill like I don't have any restriction when it come to filling full. I've been told to always measure my food but I'm not gonna lie I don't do that all the time. If I eat meat it fills me up fast and it stay and my stomach longer than anything else. If you have any questions please e-mail me. Good luck on your new weight loss journey. Take Care and God bless you! Carolyn (Jc C.)
Hubbardc
on 3/12/06 6:08 am - Sherman, TX
Welcome home! I had my revision on 1/05 from a stomach staple to a RNY and I had a similar experience to you. I wasn't in the hospital as long, but because of all of the scar tissue my surgeon had to remove my spleen a a small part of my liver. I was so glad to see the "outside" I didn't know what to do! I'm very happy that your surgery was so successful! Blessings! Carolyn
Most Active