New to Board--Waiting for Revision

iteech
on 12/5/05 9:09 am - Fairborn, OH
Anyone who has had a similar experience--please reply! I can't find ANYONE who is "me", and I need advice and questions answered. I had a (very primitive) VBG (or VGB) in 1984--over 20 years ago! I did lose weight, but gained most of it back. I am 55 years old and I've been through "the process" with Dr Schumacher in Dayton OH--now I'm waiting for insurance approval--I have standard-option Mailhandlers, under the First Health Network PPO. I am 'only' 230 lbs with a BMI of 38.8, but my co-morbidities are awful...very high BP, still high with several meds, very seriously restrictive arthritis (wheelchair in my near future if I don't lose weight), reflux, etc. I am much OLDER than most WLS's, not to mention a revision--I think I'm being revised to an open RNY (he actually hasn't told me exactly what, yet). Sooo...anyone, HELP!!! Anone had the same thing? What problems did you experience? Did the revision "work"?? Was the surgery bad at an advanced age?? Lots of other questions I am dying to have answered...please answer, anyone....
FOGHORN
on 12/5/05 9:34 am - sweet home, OR
susan, your post mimics mine. i had vbg in 1988 and success at first then big time failure. tear in staples big enough for 4 cameras to view at once. i am 56 about to turn 57 and had an open rny on oct 26 with support from people on these boards and family i did fine. almost a poster child. lost about 55 pounds in 6 weeks. support groups at hospital and dr staff are a major plus in the success of this surgery. 40 people once a month at the meetings. i had no one at all in the previous surgery. this time they found my sleep apnea and saved my life even before they cut me open. stay focused on what you want, how to get it and stand up for what you know. hell the vbg was more painful for me and that was 18 years ago. i did star****ching general hospital for a week. my wife laughs at that/ the only spec on this sheet is that my stomach looks like a road map currently with the healing holes from the tubes but down 4 belt sizes already. as for advanced age they say that this surgery will be available for 70 year olds in the near future as society ages. we are a majority.almost all my co morbities (great word eh?) diabetis, blood pressure , apnea, arthritic knees are either gone in one month now or not a factor currently. my interface with united health care has been uneventful, great even. only been with them 3 months before surgery. the hard part is to make the decision to abide by the rules for this new body. this surgery is for health bless you for going forward, it will be a happy future dave
iteech
on 12/5/05 9:15 pm - Fairborn, OH
WOW!! Thanks so much, Dave!!! Your type of reply is what I have been praying for!!! You said so many things that gave me hope--I was dreading the horrendous pain again--my VBG hurt so bad the first 5-6 days that I even thought of suicide--it was awful, so awful (no one really cared, back then, if you were in post-op pain). So when you said this one hurt LESS, ZING went the strings of my heart! Thank you sooooo very much. I am looking forward to my revision--WOW again, you lost so much weight in such a short time!!! Unlike you, my Dr says my VBG is still in place and all the staples etc are fine...it's just the the pouch is huge, and not working. Duh. Anyway I am feeling much better now--thanks again!
cocalady
on 12/6/05 8:22 am - Northeast, CT
Dave, Thanks for your response here. I am so glad to read something positive for the revision surgery, my revision is tomorrow 12/7/05 and I am sitting here thinking of all the things that could go wrong....your post has really lifted my spirits. Thanks so much! Laura R
Patty_D.
on 12/6/05 4:17 pm - Kershaw, SC
Susan, I am 54 and had the old stomach stapling done in 1982. Lost 100 lbs in 14 months and then because of staple line failure, and pregnancy, I regained much of my lost weight. I had a revision in 1989, but it was to the VGB which had almost as big a faiure rate as the stapling. There were problems with it from the begining and the banding corroded and caused a lot of scar tissue that started blocking the plyoris. By 1998, I had to have emergency surgery to remove that blockage and that surgeon also tried to undo my WLS. He said it was for the best without even asking me if that was what I wanted!! I am now facing yet another revision, but I am confident that this will be the last one!! Dr. Husted in Nashville, TN, a renowned revisionist, is doing the DS on me. I could NOT have the RNY because of the intersected staple lines and some damage to an aurtery in my stomach. The newer surgeries are so much improved over the old stapling and VGB. You are not really older than many other patients! Over at the Over 50 board http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/over_50/ there was even a 72 yer old lady who had a DS!!! And there are a whole bunch of people over 50 on that board!! I have BC/BS thru the Post Office and My co morbitities were much the same as yours and I was approved on the first letter, but my BMI was much higher. BUT some of the ins. co.s do not require a qualifing BMI on a WLS that is proved to be a failure. I do not know what the Mailhandler's ins will require. Best of luck on your search for a revision!! Patty
iteech
on 12/6/05 10:11 pm - Fairborn, OH
I didn't even KNOW there was an "over 50" board--cool! Thanks so much for your reply. I'm learning lots--and thinking a lot, too. I can't go out of my network, which is the Dayton OH area--but I've got lots of new info to talk to my surgeon about. You guys are great. Much appreciation to you!
Patty_D.
on 12/7/05 4:09 am - Kershaw, SC
Susan, I clicked on your surgeon, and I see he does both the RNY and the DS. That is a GOOD thing!!! Being knowlegeble in BOTH you can be sure of getting the right surgery for you. I am a firm believer in the fact that both surgeries are great, but for different reasons, one surgery works better for some paitents than others. I have been to Drs that ONLY do the RNY and for most people that is what works BEST for them, but those surgeons, believing that RNY was a "One fits All" surgery, could NOT help ME!! AND never bothered to inform me that there was another option, they just told me that I could NEVER have ANY WLS!!! NEVER have a revision, because of previous surgeries!! God sent me to DR. Husted after a year of depression and believing that I would just die FAT!!! Dr. Husted does or has done ALL of the different WLS. He is knowelegeble about ALL of them and relizes that all paitents are NOT the same!! He really take each patient in consideration and I feel that EACH surgery he and Dr. Spaw does in that office is really a "customized job" which is "designed" to best fit each patient's needs and lifestyle!! I know!! I sound like a commercial!! Sorry, I will get down off my soap boax and come to an end conclusion!! I would like for you to take time to check out ALL of your options and then talk to your surgeon's office and find the "customized" surgery that is "designer made" JUST for YOU!!! I am sure that God will guide you and watch over you as you go thru this process!! Patty 40 days to go!!!
loribaker271
on 2/26/06 9:40 am - Van Alstyne, TX
I was reding this post and realized that you have bcbs/Post office. I am looking in to having a revision done and I have bcbs/post office.Did you get your revision approved? I had a vbg in 1999 and I am very curious about what my Dr will do. I hope everything goes well for you Please email me and let me know how you are now.
Patty_D.
on 2/26/06 11:13 am - Kershaw, SC
I had my Revision to the DS on 1/16/06. BC/BS fed approved the surgery and are in the process of paying the bills now. I had NO problem with getting my approval, it was sent in on a Wed and by Monday morning I got a call from my Dr.'s office and it was approved!! Patty
(deactivated member)
on 12/9/05 8:49 pm - Fairborn, OH
Susan - small world. I actually know you from working at Wright-Patterson. I had open RNY in Aug 01, with outstanding success. However, I am approved a revision which is in the process of being scheduled because of the valve (priortic
Most Active