Beginning the revision odyssey

sasmith
on 10/18/05 6:13 pm - Lemoore, CA
I had a VBG back in 1987. Gained back almost all the weight since then, around 120 pounds. I meet with Dr. Higa of Fresno tomorrow to discuss a revision to the RNY. I would welcome emails from anyone in a similar situation or anyone who has gone through it already--oh, heck, I welcome emails from anyone. [email protected] I'll try to keep posting on my progress.
dawn1234
on 10/19/05 3:40 am
HI Sean I also had a VBG in 1997 and was revised to the RNY in May of 2005. It was a rough recovery for me...read my profile for complete details. I had all but one of the major complications....all at the same time. Many ask me if I would do it all again and I tell them that for me it was the right decision and that if I had to do it again I would. I am approaching the 160's and almost in size 10 jeans. Most people are fortunate enough to have a complication free surgery and I hope that for you! Keep me posted on the developments.... Good luck, Dawn
sasmith
on 10/19/05 1:18 pm - Lemoore, CA
I just read your profile and whoah what a story! I am so glad to read that you overcame the setbacks and are well on the road to reaching your goal--after all the drama--and that there is a tankini somewhere with your name on it. My consult today went well. Dr. Higa tries to perform all of his revisions laproscopically, so I hope that will cut down on the possible complications. Dr. Higa said he has revised a number of patients of the surgeon who performed my VBG (Dr. Brakovec) and that Brakovec was a good surgeon and that that fact makes his job easier because it gives him a better idea of what to expect when he looks inside and a better chance for a good outcome. I'm also healthy (for a fat guy) and that helps too. I have to get a thyroid test and see a nutritionist and then the next step is insurance approval. After that, they told me I should get a surgery date of about one month later. I'm excited, but nervous. Thanks again for your kind response. And continued success to you in your weight loss and your nursing program.
Bonnie M
on 10/23/05 2:23 am - Sioux Falls, SD
I had VGB in 1984 and like others gained all & more back. May 3, I had open RNY. No complications and uneventful recovery (I hated the G tube). At 5 monthe, I was down 100 #. Good luck.
sasmith
on 10/23/05 2:54 pm - Lemoore, CA
Your story is encouraging, Bonnie. Thanks for sharing it with me. Can I ask real quickly, how would you describe the quality of your eating? Is vomiting a problem? Cravings? Dumping syndrome etc? How does it compare to your life 20 years down the road after the VBG?
G_bobo
on 10/25/05 11:12 pm - Huizingen, Belgium
i had VGB about 7 years ago and also took most of the weightloss back and more ! I had open RNY 3 months ago, had some complications during surgery, lungemboly and spend 3days in ICU but this could have happened with any other surgery to .
sasmith
on 10/26/05 11:00 am - Lemoore, CA
Glad you made it through all right! Keep up the spirit I see in your picture. You can win this battle! Thanks.
itzmyturn
on 10/30/05 11:18 am - Dallas, TX
I also had VBG in 1998. I only managed to lose about 30-50 pounds (if that much). Never knew that I could have a revision to RNY until a good friend of mine who also had VBG around the same time found a GREAT surgeon in our area who does revisions. It has taken me about a year to get approved because I had ALOT of problems with Aetna last year. I was denied 3 times and after 2 appeals I simply let it go. About 3 weeks ago my husband started a new job we got UHC.. and I was approved in about 3 days. I can not wait for this to be over with. I have a tenative date of 11-21-05.. and once and for all I want to finally lose the weight that I was suppose to lose almost 10 yrs ago. It has been a struggle and I regret ever having the VBG, hopefully things will be much better with RNY. Best Wishes Denise
sasmith
on 11/17/05 2:05 pm - Lemoore, CA
Denise, Thank you so much for your reply. Nov. 21 is a few days away and I will make a note on my calendar to send you positive thoughts! I'm sure you'll be a success that I can emulate all the way back to smallsville--or as we guys say "32 inch" waistland.
FOGHORN
on 11/13/05 11:51 am - sweet home, OR
ditto me, vbg 1988 failed about 5 years later. 150 pounds back on. lots of co morbidities, diabetis, sleep apnea, arthritic knees, etc. got my new rny surgery done on oct 26, 05 and now 18 days out have lost 42 pounds. its easier for guys im told. this specific surgery is a full time dedicated choice, you simply cant overeat with this sutured pouch without horrible ramifications, you must sign on to daily vitamins and minerals and should be tested fairly frequently. right now i am a poster child for rny but i still am on mushy soups and sugar free puddings, cream of wheat cereal, eggs. next week refried beans and then protein, protein, protein, these boards and hopefully your program has an experienced staff and support groups cause that is what sustains me. just dont get too fresh with the nurses. dave
Most Active