revision/slow weight loss

Bonnie S.
on 7/13/05 1:07 pm - San Antonio, TX
Hi Kathy - I'm not able to speak from personal experience, but it looks as if I have a revision in my future. My RNY in 1999 was open, but I'd never lost down to any kind of 'goal' weight. Actually my RNY surgeon didn't believe in setting goal weights, I once asked him if I had a medium or large bone structure/frame, he responded it was normal. My original surgeon has retired and I do miss him. Another extaordinary surgeon in the same practice has taken over my care. He's been adept at looking into various factors for reason why I've had a weight regain; specifically I've been doing a detailed endocrinology study over the past 18 months. We'll be meeting on Aug 4th for the initial talk about a possible revision. I do have a couple of friends who've had revisions for different reasons. One was due to weight regain (disrupted staple line). Her surgeon (we go to the same surgical practice) told her the weight loss would be slower after the revision to RNY and she would probably not lose as much as she had with her original WLS (a VBG). Kathy, she's done very well. The weight loss was slower at times, she's not an exerciser, plus she had other medical complications, but she's smaller now than when she had her VBG. Both she and her surgeon are like Cheshire cats, their grins are so big. She's unmarried and attracting the younger men...too cool. By the way, about the open wound...do you heal slowly or have diabetes? If so, have you and your surgeon (or PCP) discussed the possibility of having Hyperbaric Treatments (pure oxygen)? Some doctors are more willing to go with it as a treatment option. Guess I figure it can't hurt to ask and if it does work for you, you'll be in the pool quicker! Here's praying for your next good news.... Bonnie (San Antonio)
Robinn L.
on 7/18/05 3:27 pm - Kent, WA
I am having a revision on Sept 7th from a JIB to open roux-en-y. My doctor Ravi Moonka from Virginia Mason in Seattle told me with a revision the weight loss is slower. I am hoping not as slow as your talking about. Which technique was used. Was is a Proximal, Medial, or Distal roux-en-y? You can best contact me at. www.robinnlea@yahoo.com Regards, Robinn
Most Active