update to earlier post

karen K.
on 10/11/04 10:19 am - Lawton, ok
Thank you to all who answered my earlier post about what to eat post op. Alot of you said that i should be able to go home from the hospital either the day of the surgery or the next day. Maybe i should clarify that my band surgery is going to be open, i have a hernia that needs to be fixed and my original rny (3-23-03) was open. So with that being said, do you still think my recovery will be so quick? Also, some asked if my insurance is covering this second surgery. YES. I was denied at first (due to a clerical error in my co morbids and weight). I am not sure what other insurances stances on revisions are, but i beleive i was approved not because i needed a revision, BUT because i still meet the criteria for weight loss surgery (even though i have already lost 120 lbs). My insurance criteria are 100 lbs over ideal body weight with one or more co morbids OR 200% above your ideal body weight with no co morbids. I dont believe i would have been approved if i weighed less. I think that is sad because there isnt just one cookie cutter approach that works for everyone. For some a gastric bypass with only 50 bypassed will work, for others they may need 150 bypassed. Unfortunetly, my original doctor was very conservative. My new surgeon said he would have made my pouch smaller and bypassed more in the original surgery. I guess if ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a wonderful christmas. By the way, my new surgeon is in the same group that the old surgeon was in....so its not like he is putting down a competitior...the original surgeon is actually senior to him in the practice. Like i said, WLS isnt an exact science and some people need more help than others. I just hate that i have to be the one who needed more help . Hopefully others will hear my story and make better decisions and ask more questions. karen
star .
on 10/23/04 9:48 pm - OK
Karen I went home on day two with the open; didnt have the hernia repair though. but since normal hernias are ususally done outpatient that might not add to your stay. I was 'out' (went to the support group) before the week was up; and back at work after two weeks. The recovery was way faster with the open lapband than the rny was. good luck
star .
on 10/23/04 9:49 pm - OK
thats was full days; three if you count the day of surgery. in on tuesday out on thrus.
Most Active