7 DAYS OUT AND NOT WHAT I EXPECTED. NEED HELP!

kristilee
on 8/3/04 10:43 pm - Cokato, MN
I had the revision on July 28. When I went in that morning, I weighed 338. When I left I was at 359. I just thought there was something wrong with the scale at the hospital. Now I am 7 days post op and my scale says I am at 346. Has anyone else ever heard of gaining 20 lbs in the hospital? Or having gained weight in the first week??? I am doing everything I am supposed to. Any advice? Similar stories?
Tammy S.
on 8/4/04 3:36 pm - San Antonio, TX
Hi there! Yes, you are not alone. I had my revision from VGB to RNY on June 1st. I weighed 252 pre-op and came home and weighed 264. It's ok. Your body is in shock right now...just give it time. Don't get discouraged. Just follow the Dr's orders and you'll be ok... The weight gain is typically from IV fluid and TONS of swelling from the surgical site. Keep us posted! Tammy
kristilee
on 8/5/04 10:25 am - Cokato, MN
Thanks so much for the note back. You have helped alleviate a lot of my fears. My first follow up is on the 11th, so I will update everyone then. Thanks and God Bless. I really appreciate it!
Ali M
on 8/6/04 5:05 am - S.E., TX
Hi Kristi, I am over two years post-op from VBG to RNY revision. I have heard of people retaining fluid while in the hospital, I think it is pretty normal. They pump us so full of fluid b/c we have to wait a while to drink anything and they want us to be totally hydrated. It took me a year to lose all the weight I had gained from the SLD, then I got pregnant and gained a total of 40 pounds, BUT most of that came off within two weeks of giving birth and I continued to lose down to goal (which I never got to with the VBG). I was told by my dr. that as a revision I would lose slower than someone that had never had WLS before and that's the way it happed, but I still managed to lose 90 pounds in a year. And I have seen where some revisions DO lose pretty fast - just goes to show that everyone really is different. Keep following your rules and you'll see results! Ali M VBG 1995 RNY 2002
MzH
on 8/13/04 1:48 pm - LOSERLAND, MD
It's just your IV fluids. No worries. H
(deactivated member)
on 1/22/09 6:50 pm - Togo
The same thing happened to me when I had my rny 12 years ago. I got mad about it and jumped on the doctor. But i know now that those things do happen. The body is swollen considerable and other things are going on.. wls is quite a shock to the system and it reacts.

weight gain right afterwards is not uncommon. But it does go back down and continues to go down. As yours already has done.

Relax. Your okay. 

Most Active