RNY to RNY revision

carrie95376
on 7/14/20 2:32 am - tracy, CA

Hi Amy- Im wondering if the dr or insurance gave you ahard time to get the revision. Im embarrased that I got back up close to my beginning weight after 12 years but would like to look into a revision.

Dove
on 7/14/20 4:58 am - Renton, wa

Hi Carrie -

My Doctor is very understanding and has seen me battle and seen the stressors in my life. Also, she's an ARNP (Registered Nurse Practitioner) instead of an MD, and I've found overall that female ARNPs are a lot nicer. Insurance isn't giving me a hard time other than making me prove myself for 6 months. I have to see my doc 6 times, a dietician 12 times, lose 5% of my weight, get a psychiatric evaluation, etc.

LIvebold
on 7/15/20 10:35 am - NC

Hi Dove,

I am new to this blog and am considering revision. I had an RNY in 2000. Do you know what type of revision your surgeon is recommending? I am curious about options, but when I went in had a consult with a bariatric surgeon in my area, she wanted me to go on a diet!!! I did this surgery 20 years ago to stop the failures of dieting and I'm not going to start up again. I already feel bad enough about putting the weight back on, which still mystifies me.

Anyhow, looking at seeing a different surgeon and thought I would get personal experiences about revision as well as researching the different options.

Thanks for listening and sharing any information you are comfortable with sharing!

Bernadette

White Dove
on 8/11/20 7:14 am - Warren, OH

The truth about revisions is that they are remarkably unsuccessful. The average weight loss with revision is 20 pounds and that is from the liquid diet before and after surgery. The only way to lose weight is by taking in less calories than you burn.

i thought I was done with diets when I had weight loss surgery. That truth is that I have been on a diet every day since. If I slack off on eating the weight comes back quickly. It is very easy for me to eat too many calories. I avoid carbs and sugars. I eat high protein foods, some vegetables, some fruit and berries and drink a lot of water. When I am in the mood to drop pounds, I follow Weigh****chers.

I weigh every morning with a smart scale, so I know my water weight as well as my overall weight. I make sure to exercise every day and to drink as much water as possible. I have had regain several times and always manage to lose it, but it is harder and slower each time. And regain is quicker and easier every year.

It is not easy, but it is worth it to me.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Dfount106
on 11/10/20 4:19 am

My doctor told me that no insurance will cover any of the surgeries that go down your throat ie: stomaphx. He also told me that with a revision you only lose between 20-30 lbs. But as disappointing as that is, that is still a start for me. I think I could do it if I had a jump start. I also kept mine off a long time, then it came back in a short period of time. The day of surgery in 2000 I was 293, and in 2015 I was 165. Now today I am 276 so almost where I was before. I hate it!! I want to cry everyday. Took 5 years to gain it all back when I kept it off for 15. That's what happens when you get married and quit working.

Dmh7469
on 9/23/21 2:32 pm
Revision on 10/12/21

Hi- did you have the revision? I am scheduled for 10/12 and we have similarities. I would love to know your experience.

cchilds3862
on 5/6/21 3:16 pm

Hello I had an RNY revision on March 29th. It is totally different from my first surgery back in 2008. The doctor made the pouch so small till I can't eat anything without getting sick. The hole is the size of a dime according to the practitioner. I lost 36lbs. to date. I feel ok till I try to eat something soft. I can't seem to keep anything down. I have an upcoming appt. I will keep you posted. I gained a total of 70lbs since the initial surgery.

Melbow19
on 8/14/21 8:14 am
Revision on 08/18/21

Hi! Wondering how you're doing now? I would love to hear an update! I'm having my revision on Tuesday.
Hope you were able to get the vomiting under control and that you're doing well!
Melanie

Most Active