New Insurance - wanting a revision

krisinga
on 6/13/19 7:39 am

I had a gastric bypass in 2009 (starting weight was 330 and lost down to 150). 10 years later and several illnesses as well as chronic pain (and let's face it... LIFE) and I'm almost 30 pounds heavier than my surgery sw.

Question: I had CareFirst for my original surgery. I am now with TriCare Select. Does anyone know if TriCare would cover the revision even though they have a "1 surgery rule"?

I have a consult with a surgeon (I'm in Augusta, GA) and they are going to do the legwork on the insurance; however, I'm trying to find out if someone has had this situation before I get my hopes up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/13/19 9:05 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Every insurance company and plan is different, so none of us can know what your plan covers. Call the customer service number on the back of your card to ask them.

If your plan has a "one surgery rule" and no coverage for "medically necessary" revisions, you're likely out of luck. You can look into self-pay for a revision surgery, including lower-cost options in Mexico.

What type of revision would you want? There's not much of anywhere to go with an RNY without running into some pretty serious risks. Some people have had their stoma stitched more tightly, but that doesn't often result in much weight loss.

You can also try going back to basics-- logging food, limiting calories and carbs-- to use the pouch that you already have.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Amy R.
on 6/14/19 12:34 am

What Julie said about insurance, especially Tricare. Call them and if they do say they pay for revisions I'd have them send you something in writing verifying that. Policies change all of the time and can be misinterpreted even by a companies own agent.

Do you know if you've got anything mechanically wrong up in there? Like a stretched stoma or some such that would support your request for a revision? And do you have any idea what you'd be revising to? As Julie also said, revision options are limited after an RnY. You've basically got the Distal RnY which is a scary bad surgery in my opinion. Or you've got the stoma-tightening type surgeries like the ROSE procedure which basically produce an average loss of about 30 pounds. And I guess I shouldn't forget Band-over-Bypass.

In the end though, no matter how many revisions a person has, we are always going to get to a point where we have to face down that regain monster. Regains happen with ALL surgeries, even with the DS. Eventually we are back the starting point: calories in vs. calories out.

Good luck to you in finding your insurance coverage and making your decision. You're in a tough spot for sure and I wish you the best.

Most Active